Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 non-expansion effect on the G5 conferences and Indy programs
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Big 12 non-expansion effect on the G5 conferences and Indy programs
With the Big 12 not expanding that leaves pretty much the current G5 conferences as is and nothing really changes except for some hurt expectations for some programs.
CUSA will stay at 14 and probably was wishing the AAC lost 2 so they could grab a couple of CUSA schools.

Sunbelt is stable and won't have any need to expand.

AAC and the MW will now wait for the next TV contract to be put on the market...however, I do have to wonder if the AAC still has that ESPN match carry over from the Big East.

MAC will carry on forward as is.

NMSU, UMass and Idaho really have no where to go.
Idaho's president had the great for sight to see no conference is going to take them except the FCS Big Sky.
NMSU and UMass are pretty screwed now....how long they could stay Indy is unknown but the road will get harder to put together a schedule in the future.....will FCS be in the future for one or both?

Army will still continued to be Indy.

BYU is the story now....they have said they can't sustain Indy in the long term....with the Big 12 decision do they continue to be Indy and pretend they are equal with Utah or do they ask to see if the MW will take them?
10-17-2016 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Big 12 non-expansion effect on the G5 conferences and Indy programs
The AAC is in a position of power now. The B12 just ran a 3 month long commercial for all of its institutions and paid for the media consultants to appraise their value.
10-17-2016 04:45 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-17-2016 04:42 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  With the Big 12 not expanding that leaves pretty much the current G5 conferences as is and nothing really changes except for some hurt expectations for some programs.
CUSA will stay at 14 and probably was wishing the AAC lost 2 so they could grab a couple of CUSA schools.

Sunbelt is stable and won't have any need to expand.

AAC and the MW will now wait for the next TV contract to be put on the market...however, I do have to wonder if the AAC still has that ESPN match carry over from the Big East.

MAC will carry on forward as is.

NMSU, UMass and Idaho really have no where to go.
Idaho's president had the great for sight to see no conference is going to take them except the FCS Big Sky.
NMSU and UMass are pretty screwed now....how long they could stay Indy is unknown but the road will get harder to put together a schedule in the future.....will FCS be in the future for one or both?

Army will still continued to be Indy.

BYU is the story now....they have said they can't sustain Indy in the long term....with the Big 12 decision do they continue to be Indy and pretend they are equal with Utah or do they ask to see if the MW will take them?

I could see the AAC invite UMass as a traveling partner for UConn for all sports, and look at adding a west team. Missouri State or Wichita State? 14/13 is not that bad. That could save money travel cost.

If BYU goes back to MWC? UTEP or North Dakota State could be a fit for them right now.
10-17-2016 04:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Groo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas
(10-17-2016 04:45 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  The AAC is in a position of power now. The B12 just ran a 3 month long commercial for all of its institutions and paid for the media consultants to appraise their value.

Power over whom? MWC?
10-17-2016 04:47 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-17-2016 04:42 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  BYU is the story now....they have said they can't sustain Indy in the long term....with the Big 12 decision do they continue to be Indy and pretend they are equal with Utah or do they ask to see if the MW will take them?

BYU will NOT join the MWC. Yes, they will pretend to be equal with Utah into eternity before they join the MWC, AAC or any other G5 league. They said that they couldn't sustain independence only in the context of not being in a POWER conference. Their independent TV contract and schedule arestill far superior to being in a G5 league and they at least some additional prestige, too.

The MWC and AAC are about as likely to add Notre Dame compared to adding BYU. That's how strongly BYU feels on this issue. It's a non-starter to willingly and structurally relegate themselves to the G5 when Utah is in the Pac-12. It's just a non-starter with everyone that matters at BYU.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 04:49 PM by Frank the Tank.)
10-17-2016 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincinnati, Memphis, ECU, Houston, UCF & USF need to break free from the AAC, convince BYU to join and form a league to control the NY6 bowl bid.

East
UConn
Temple
Navy
ECU
Cincinnati
Memphis
UCF
USF

West
Houston
Air Force
Colorado State
BYU
San Diego State
UNLV
Fresno State
10-17-2016 04:49 PM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(10-17-2016 04:47 PM)Groo Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 04:45 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  The AAC is in a position of power now. The B12 just ran a 3 month long commercial for all of its institutions and paid for the media consultants to appraise their value.

Power over whom? MWC?

Yes. Without question.
10-17-2016 04:51 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2016 04:48 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 04:42 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  BYU is the story now....they have said they can't sustain Indy in the long term....with the Big 12 decision do they continue to be Indy and pretend they are equal with Utah or do they ask to see if the MW will take them?

BYU will NOT join the MWC. Yes, they will pretend to be equal with Utah into eternity before they join the MWC, AAC or any other G5 league. They said that they couldn't sustain independence only in the context of not being in a POWER conference. Their independent TV contract and schedule arestill far superior to being in a G5 league and they at least some additional prestige, too.

The MWC and AAC are about as likely to add Notre Dame compared to adding BYU. That's how strongly BYU feels on this issue. It's a non-starter to willingly and structurally relegate themselves to the G5 when Utah is in the Pac-12. It's just a non-starter with everyone that matters at BYU.

Maybe ESPN heard that they can't get Boise State and BYU into the Big 12? They spend money on those contracts for those two schools. It would have added some money for the Big 12 since they are already under contract with ESPN.
10-17-2016 04:52 PM
Groo Offline
2nd String

(10-17-2016 04:52 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Maybe ESPN heard that they can't get Boise State and BYU into the Big 12? They spend money on those contracts for those two schools. It would have added some money for the Big 12 since they are already under contract with ESPN.

Hey David, you know who else is under contract (tier 3) with espn? Kansas. And they make bank off of it. Must make espn some money huh?
10-17-2016 04:54 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2016 04:54 PM)Groo Wrote:  

Hey David, you know who else is under contract (tier 3) with espn? Kansas. And they make bank off of it. Must make espn some money huh?

I don't see Kansas football on tv sets for ESPN networks. I see a lot of Boise State have more games on ESPN than Kansas. ESPN deemed Boise State's football is much better than Kansas football anyday.
10-17-2016 04:57 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
BYU will never rejoin the MWC.

No point discussing it.
10-17-2016 04:59 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2016 04:59 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  BYU will never rejoin the MWC.

No point discussing it.

http://campussports.net/2015/08/20/byu-a...st-return/

BYU AD: ‘Never say never’ on Mountain West return.

I'm not advocating for BYU to return because I think the MW is better off without them on a lot of things that also don't involve athletics....if BYU does indeed want to return to the MW and if the MW wants them, that would be the only expansion by any G5 conference I think.
10-17-2016 05:31 PM
Groo Offline
2nd String

(10-17-2016 04:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 04:54 PM)Groo Wrote:  

I don't see Kansas football on tv sets for ESPN networks. I see a lot of Boise State have more games on ESPN than Kansas. ESPN deemed Boise State's football is much better than Kansas football anyday.

I admit, I am curious to see who gets paid more BSU and their rights vs KU's tier three? I already know the answer, but you go ahead and get back to me. This is a case of basketball trumping football btw.
10-17-2016 05:34 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
The only thing that BYU would hate more than rejoining the MWC might be getting left out of a "Best Of" conference- especially if that "Best Of" would freeze them out of scheduling and bowls. Neither the AAC or MWC has leverage, but a Best Of would be hard for BYU to turn down.
10-17-2016 05:34 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
It's over folks. The "haves" win again. Sure, some G5 conferences are clearly more talented than others. Fact is, they are all the same. Only a matter of time before the P5 breaks away completely.
10-17-2016 05:46 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-17-2016 05:34 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  The only thing that BYU would hate more than rejoining the MWC might be getting left out of a "Best Of" conference- especially if that "Best Of" would freeze them out of scheduling and bowls. Neither the AAC or MWC has leverage, but a Best Of would be hard for BYU to turn down.

I agree. Despite BYU fan support, they don't seem to be able find acceptance in either the PAC or the B12. And if the top 4 MW schools were to join with the AAC (maybe a different twist on a best of but having the same effect), BYU would find themselves with options even more limited than they would currently seem. BYU has indicated they cannot sustain an indy position long term & if BSU, AFA, CSU & SDSU were to appear to be moving toward the AAC, BYU would be wise to join the move in place of one of those 4. To be left out of that consolidation could cause the long term setback the move to indy was intended to avoid.
10-17-2016 05:57 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Jay Drew ‏@drewjay 2m
2 minutes ago

BYU has released a statement regarding Big 12's non-expansion announcement today. It follows....

"Over the last few months, BYU has learned a lot about its strengths as an institution and as an athletic department. Through our in-depth review we have reinforced valuable relationships and have been reminded how strong we are as a university. BYU strives to run its athletic program like a P5 institution. Our national fan base and broadcast ratings, along with the many historical and recent successes of our teams, attest we certainly belong. We believe BYU can significantly contribute to the athletic and academic excellence of a P5 conference."

Sure you believe you belong to a P5 conference, but that doesn't mean the momentum will carry forward.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 06:04 PM by MWC Tex.)
10-17-2016 05:59 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
this may be the most disappointing thing to happen since Geraldo Riveras vault
10-17-2016 05:59 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(10-17-2016 05:59 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  this may be the most disappointing thing to happen since Geraldo Riveras vault

And like Al's vault, we all watched the train wreck
10-17-2016 06:01 PM
Groo Offline
2nd String

(10-17-2016 05:59 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  this may be the most disappointing thing to happen since Geraldo Riveras vault

Disappointing? Matter of perspective I guess. This is the equivalent of a 12 year old first discovering an unscrambled cinemax channel if you are a fan of one of the teams in the conference.
10-17-2016 06:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.