UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Amendment 14 Vote Yes! Information here.
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Amendment 14 Vote Yes! Information here.
http://www.14protectsal.com/

Sen. Waggoner: Jefferson Co. school funding, BJCC funding at risk if Amendment 14 fails

“This is a must pass constitutional amendment because the effects are so far reaching,” said Waggoner. “It affects every school system in Jefferson County, funding for courts, funding for hospitals, funding for the BJCC.”

Several bills in question are revenue sources for the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Center. For example, the lodging tax was approved using the House rule.

“If this passes November 8 in my opinion, you will have a football stadium at the BJCC for UAB to play,” said Waggoner. “If it does not pass, that funding is cut off. So, that's one of the huge effects that will affect people in Jefferson County and UAB fans.

http://abc3340.com/news/local/sen-waggon...t-14-fails

A “yes” vote on Amendment 14 guarantees the legitimacy of Budget Isolation Resolution voting in the House and protects more than 600 local laws that have been passed. Currently, bills passed in the Alabama Legislature prior to budget approval require a “budget isolation resolution” vote of at least a three-fifths supermajority of the quorum present. Recently, the House had been passing BIRs with only three-fifths of those members who were both present and voting, requiring the support of fewer legislators.

Amendment 14 guarantees the legitimacy of the “present and voting” interpretation of the BIR voting procedure. Otherwise, courts could strike down these local laws following civil lawsuits at a cost to taxpayers.

A “yes” vote supports this proposal to guarantee the application of budget isolation resolutions to local laws passed by the legislature prior to November 8, 2016.

A “no” vote opposes this proposal to guarantee the application of budget isolation resolutions, opening the door for courts to strike down laws passed under the “present and voting” BIR procedure.
10-13-2016 05:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldragon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Amendment 14 Vote Yes! Information here.
10-13-2016 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
Ok, I wonder what are the previous 13 amendments?
10-13-2016 07:56 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
2 is for the state parks. I'm passionate about that as well.
10-13-2016 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I am cautiously optimistic that it will pass primarily because it has the backing of both houses in Montgomery and common sense says its needs to get done to avoid craziness in Montgomery as they try to get 600+ bills passed ASAP that affect areas of Alabama that the folks in Montgomery don't want to upset(another special session?). I mean, failure would force the folks in Montgomery to actually do some real work. Assuming it does pass I would hope the BJCC group is already planning on getting the downtown stadium announced with groundbreaking by 2017. An announcement before FB signing day in Feb could go a long way towards swaying some recruits, as well...
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2016 09:41 PM by WesternBlazer.)
10-13-2016 09:39 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Under the Constitution of 1901, our state legislature is not only charged with running / funding state business but also with micromanaging the affairs of every Alabama town, village, city and county as well. All of this in an annual session of only 90 days (hence the need for all those expensive "special sessions"). That requirement explains why Alabama has by far the longest constitution in the world while having a steadily shrinking presence in national politics.

If as presently projected, Alabama loses another U.S. House seat (down from 9 to 6 since 1950) after the 2020 census, it could have a stifling effect on UAB programs as Congress moves grant funding to university medical programs in states offering more political "bang for their bucks" in growth states (Texas is projected to grow by 3 seats) now known nationally as "battleground states". According to earlier posts, the UAB medical establishment receives over 80% of its funding from federal and private grants, and I doubt the SETF is able to take up the slack if grants go to other more (politically) important states.
10-15-2016 01:45 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Your guide to the back of Alabama’s ballot
http://www.annistonstar.com/news/state/y...ed8fc.html
10-15-2016 06:02 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Amendment 2 apparently is the Don't Let The Governor F Over The State Parks Again amendment.
10-15-2016 06:50 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

10-16-2016 11:03 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(10-16-2016 11:03 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Archibald
http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016...r_home_pop

Our biggest worry should be people using Archibald's logic on #14 or just voting no on all amendments.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 09:30 AM by hooverblazer.)
10-17-2016 09:29 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes for #14...
Yes for all amendments that move more control to the localities...
No vote for those items outside of Jefferson county(even thoughJefferson County has been screwed before by allowing persons outside of the county to determine what goes on inside of the county)...
No for removing age restrictions...

Under normal circumstances I would probably vote no for #14 just to make the idiots down in Montgomery do what they were elected to do and to do it correctly. How difficult is it to show up and vote! I am still concerned, though, that voting yes will allow the Montgomery folks to use a yes vote as the "will of the people" or even as legally binding affirmation.
10-17-2016 01:56 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Reading through the comments section indicates the great suspicions that abound among Alabama voters surrounding the Alabama government. With all three branch leaders under legal clouds, it is not surprising. As is said so often, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Alabama has shifted from being a one party conservative state with a "D" to being a one party conservative state with a "R". Other than the label, nothing else has changed (many of the current "R"s used to be "D"s).
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 03:40 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
10-17-2016 03:38 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I'm a big proponent of Amendment 2 to help the state parks. I urge everyone to give it consideration as well.
10-18-2016 07:11 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

http://weldbham.com/blog/2016/10/18/the-...t-swindle/

This is an editorial by a member of the group that sued to block Jeffco's reallocation of the one cent tax. Looks like they plan to file a lawsuit challenging the legality of the amendment even if it passes which will inevitably lead to more delays...03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 03:32 PM by hooverblazer.)
10-18-2016 03:21 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

This is why we cant have nice things.
10-18-2016 03:23 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Now Bob Friedman has filed a lawsuit asking that amendment 14 be removed from the ballot...There will be a hearing on Tuesday.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index....iver_index
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 09:01 AM by hooverblazer.)
10-20-2016 08:34 AM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

10-20-2016 10:29 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Hatton for UAB AD!
10-20-2016 12:08 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/ne...-with.html

From the BBJ article:

Craig Fleming of the Coalition for Regional Transportation said he is concerned over what a defeat of Amendment 14 would do to several infrastructure-related bills, in addition to hundreds of other bills that would be nullified if the amendment fails to pass.

“I am very concerned about this amendment,” Fleming said. “This is a decision of the highest importance, and affects bills that address critical needs.”

Fleming said, in particular, $25 million per year that goes into road work in Jefferson County would be in jeopardy if the amendment fails.

If Amendment 14 fails, Fleming said hundreds of bills would have to go back to legislature for a vote, which is a major concern.

“The cost that would be incurred would be huge,” Fleming said. “Going back and passing these bills again would cost the taxpayers tremendously.”

Another recent project included among the bills in jeopardy involves the new St. Vincent’s hospital in Chilton County, Fleming said.

“We just completed work at the Chilton County hospital, this was a great thing to happen to that area of the state,” Fleming said. “If the amendment does not pass, that entire project, the funding, future plans, would have to be readdressed.”

Jefferson County Commissioner Jimmie Stephens said the passage of Amendment 14 is a vital component to keeping the quality of services and education in Jefferson County.

Stephens said services such as fire department protection, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and public school funding would be voided if the amendment fails to pass.

“What we need to do is make sure these bills remain as law because each one affects various citizens of our county,” Stephens said. “Keep in mind this does nothing new, it is only rectifying a process. Right now, you are enjoying going to the BJCC, enjoying the quality of education your children are getting due to these funding measures, but voting ‘no’ means all of that can change.”

Stephens also pointed out the effects voting down the amendment would have on the county’s court system. The courts have already seen a backlog of cases and are low on resources due to poor funding from the state, so if more than 600 bills are open to litigation, Stephens said the cost to the taxpayers to have the courts hear each case would be enormous.

UAB head football coach Bill Clark said passing Amendment 14 is needed to ensure the stadium gets built.

“Obviously getting the stadium here in Birmingham would be great for our community and our team,” Clark said. “If this amendment passes, we can continue to use our local taxation dollars for this local project.”

Clark said he understands some of the skepticism voters might have over approving another amendment, but said this one is definitely a different situation.

“To me, any time people do not understand something, the thought is that maybe there is a new tax, or this is going to cost me more money,” Clark said. “And, look, I am usually skeptical too, but this amendment is not a new tax, this is simply using our tax dollars for what we have already approved.”
10-20-2016 03:48 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

If 14 loses, I'm moving out of the state
10-24-2016 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.