Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Experts Say UConn Should Have Backup Plan [Big East says no to expansion]
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Experts Say UConn Should Have Backup Plan [Big East says no to expansion]
One of the best conference realignment articles that has been written in a really long time. This is by the main UConn writer at the Hartford Courtant, which is the largest newspaper in Connecticut.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-foot...story.html

Experts Say UConn Should Have Backup Plan As Big 12 Meets Monday To Tackle Expansion

John AltavillaContact Reporter

Patrick Riske, director of the sports business program at Washington University in St. Louis says "At the end of the day, when you look at all the schools that are out there, name me a school outside of the Power Five that is really prominent financially. The only school I can think of that has any kind of brand appeal would be a place like BYU"
---
"The [UConn] basketball teams are an exception because they have built brand equity over the years because of their success. But even that, particularly on the men's side, could erode rather quickly."
---
"But it's certainly better for them than where they are now; maybe even the A-10? Who knows? At least, they have a brand. … It certainly would fit geographically. But I would think the Big East would be their ultimate goal if they are not a part of any expansion."

---
"Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told The Courant that the Big East "is not interested in expansion at this time.""
10-13-2016 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Experts Say UConn Should Have Backup Plan [Big East says no to expansion]
The Big East would definitely make an exception for UConn. In if UConn was the only school added, the conference would be able to maintain its round-robin format, and increase the number of conference games to 20.
10-13-2016 12:59 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
UConn is one of college basketball's "franchise players," I'm pretty sure that the BE would be happy to make room for them, the same way I'm pretty sure that if Oklahoma, ND or Florida State wanted to join the B1G, they'd get exceptions despite not having AAU.

The issue for UConn in making that move is that they'd basically be demoting their football program to Conference USA unless that MAC all of a sudden starts accepting football only programs again or the AAC decides to agree to a deal losing UConn basketball but retaining other sports.
10-13-2016 01:14 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
Football drives the bus...choo choo.. oh wait thats a train. Why would they want to join a Basketball conference when Football drives the Bus?
10-13-2016 02:28 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(10-13-2016 02:28 PM)ivet Wrote:  Football drives the bus...choo choo.. oh wait thats a train. Why would they want to join a Basketball conference when Football drives the Bus?

As constantly gets thrown at UConn around here, they're a basketball school. It's true. They're a national brand, but it's because of basketball, and so if push comes to shove they're going to protect basketball.
10-13-2016 02:32 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(10-13-2016 01:14 PM)AntiG Wrote:  UConn is one of college basketball's "franchise players," I'm pretty sure that the BE would be happy to make room for them, the same way I'm pretty sure that if Oklahoma, ND or Florida State wanted to join the B1G, they'd get exceptions despite not having AAU.

The issue for UConn in making that move is that they'd basically be demoting their football program to Conference USA unless that MAC all of a sudden starts accepting football only programs again or the AAC decides to agree to a deal losing UConn basketball but retaining other sports.

Maybe UConn could strike a deal with the AAC where the AAC keeps UConn football and UConn in return schedules a certain number of games (probably two) each year against AAC schools in men's and women's basketball for as long as UConn football is in the AAC. With UConn hoops not in the AAC, the AAC schools could use the bump in RPI that playing UConn in hoop would give them each year.

As there is no animosity between UConn and any of the old Big East schools, I am sure that something could be worked out and that the Big East schools would be understanding if UConn ever got an ACC or Big Ten invite. After all, UConn was understanding with them when they parted ways with the old Big East.
10-13-2016 02:44 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-13-2016 02:44 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(10-13-2016 01:14 PM)AntiG Wrote:  UConn is one of college basketball's "franchise players," I'm pretty sure that the BE would be happy to make room for them, the same way I'm pretty sure that if Oklahoma, ND or Florida State wanted to join the B1G, they'd get exceptions despite not having AAU.

Maybe UConn could strike a deal with the AAC where the AAC keeps UConn football and UConn in return schedules a certain number of games (probably two) each year against AAC schools in men's and women's basketball for as long as UConn football is in the AAC. With UConn hoops not in the AAC, the AAC schools could use the bump in RPI that playing UConn in hoop would give them each year.

As there is no animosity between UConn and any of the old Big East schools, I am sure that something could be worked out and that the Big East schools would be understanding if UConn ever got an ACC or Big Ten invite. After all, UConn was understanding with them when they parted ways with the old Big East.
[Image: grZAZ.gif]

Connecticut football. No
10-13-2016 02:47 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports

You UConn fanboys are so amazing. The AAC is going to agree to let the putrid UConn football program remain, and allow the basketball to stick around for only 2 games. No chance in hell.
10-13-2016 02:49 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
The arguments have all been made, already.

But I still stand by that UConn should be able to make it work as an Indy in football and play other sports in the BE. Flame away.
10-13-2016 02:54 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(10-13-2016 02:49 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

You UConn fanboys are so amazing. The AAC is going to agree to let the putrid UConn football program remain, and allow the basketball to stick around for only 2 games. No chance in hell.

What else would the AAC do? Bring in Old Dominion or Southern Miss? I am pretty sure that the AAC would still keep the Huskies in the fold.

"Fanboy"? That is rather funny coming from someone who doesn't identify their rooting interest. Now get back to your drive through window. I am driving up now to place my order and don't want you to mess up my fries this time.
10-13-2016 02:56 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(10-13-2016 02:28 PM)ivet Wrote:  Football drives the bus...choo choo.. oh wait thats a train. Why would they want to join a Basketball conference when Football drives the Bus?

Because football doesn't drive the bus in every scenario of expansion.
10-13-2016 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
The Yukon Huskies are not going to leave a league that features their #1 rivalry, the Civil CONFLict.
10-13-2016 03:00 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(10-13-2016 03:00 PM)Chappy Wrote:  The Yukon Huskies are not going to leave a league that features their #1 rivalry, the Civil CONFLict.

BIg 12 nor ACC can offer this

[Image: cgb_hnrwgaamiej.jpg]
10-13-2016 03:01 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(10-13-2016 03:00 PM)Chappy Wrote:  The Yukon Huskies are not going to leave a league that features their #1 rivalry, the Civil CONFLict.

TRUTH!!!!!

[Image: 880f858d78a32fe76cf0940afa20d76c-original.jpg]
10-13-2016 03:02 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

The fans have lost a lot of great rivalries due to realignment. The ConFLiCT needs to be protected.
10-13-2016 03:03 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-13-2016 02:56 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

What else would the AAC do? Bring in Old Dominion or Southern Miss? I am pretty sure that the AAC would still keep the Huskies in the fold.

"Fanboy"? That is rather funny coming from someone who doesn't identify their rooting interest. Now get back to your drive through window. I am driving up now to place my order and don't want you to mess up my fries this time.

There would be no difference in football between UConn and either of those schools.

And the thing is, if UConn knows going into things that they won't be allowed to park their football in the AAC, that may keep UConn from moving at all, which is what the AAC would want. Maybe if UConn said they were going to move anyways, the AAC would relent- but UConn would have to think a lot harder about things if they didn't have the AAC as an option for football.

Lets say this- UConn would need the AAC a whole hell of a lot more for football than the AAC would need UConn for football. That's really the bottom line.
10-13-2016 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
UConn may end up in the new Big East someday, but I think they at least wait and see what the next AAC deal is worth before making a drastic change like that.
10-13-2016 03:07 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(10-13-2016 03:03 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-13-2016 02:56 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

There would be no difference in football between UConn and either of those schools.

And the thing is, if UConn knows going into things that they won't be allowed to park their football in the AAC, that may keep UConn from moving at all, which is what the AAC would want. Maybe if UConn said they were going to move anyways, the AAC would relent- but UConn would have to think a lot harder about things if they didn't have the AAC as an option for football.

Lets say this- UConn would need the AAC a whole hell of a lot more for football than the AAC would need UConn for football. That's really the bottom line.

I will at least admit that UConn wouldn't have a strong card to play with the AAC in trying to make that deal. As you were alluding, UConn would almost have to leave and see if the AAC relents, but that is a huge risk for the football program. Being forced to drop the football program down to the MAC or CUSA would kill any hope of an ACC or Big Ten invite for good.
10-13-2016 03:14 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

yep. That's the bottom line. Maybe UConn could do ok indy, but that seems like such a huge risk as well.

My thought on UConn is that....
if Houston/Cincy leave- UConn is forced to go Big East route/??? for football....

but if they don't leave and B12 doesn't expand- I think UConn waits until the new TV deal to see if that improves enough.
10-13-2016 03:22 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(10-13-2016 03:22 PM)stever20 Wrote:  yep. That's the bottom line. Maybe UConn could do ok indy, but that seems like such a huge risk as well.

My thought on UConn is that....
if Houston/Cincy leave- UConn is forced to go Big East route/??? for football....

but if they don't leave and B12 doesn't expand- I think UConn waits until the new TV deal to see if that improves enough.

That's fair. The Big East is an emergency exit if the AAC money bottoms out and the conference affiliation begins to hurt basketball. So far UConn's been able to recruit fine in the American and is still living off the exit fees from the OBE.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2016 03:27 PM by Bogg.)
10-13-2016 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.