Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Uconn to Big East talk
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Rolleyes Uconn to Big East talk
Uconn fans: what's the deal with these articles popping up in the last few days about you guys returning to the Big East? Is it simply wishful thinking by Big East fans? Curious...
Cheers!
10-10-2016 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
RE: Uconn to Big East talk
What articles?
10-10-2016 07:35 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(10-10-2016 07:35 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  What articles?

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/...wmenu=true

10-10-2016 08:20 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/.../91840616/

The question three years ago when the downsized Big East debuted was this: Could a basketball-driven league survive in a football world?

Villanova answered by winning the NCAA Tournament last April.

The next question, an undercurrent for the conference’s media day Tuesday, is this: How does the Big East capitalize on all the momentum?

The one-word answer: UConn.

Mutual interest in a reunion was widely reported over the summer, and in recent conversations with Gannett New Jersey, multiple people in the know laid out the framework. Here it is:

1. The Big East and broadcast partner Fox Sports 1 are all for it. UConn brings much to the table: the cachet of one of the top brands in college hoops, a legion of fans who travel in droves and an instant revival of some classic regional rivalries.

Forget the notion, mostly floated by fans, that UConn wanted out of the old Big East and therefore should be blackballed. There is too much to gain to be spiteful. And if we’ve learned one thing about the realignment carousel, it’s that aggression is rewarded.

Adding UConn would give the conference 11 teams, which is not a problem. For much of the Big East’s glory years of the 1980s, membership was odd-numbered at nine. Plus the league would retain a true round-robin schedule — very important to the coaches — at 20 games.

It should be noted that the Big East’s welcome-back mat would include a gargantuan exit fee.

2. UConn isn’t there yet, but the day of reckoning is coming. Still desperate to play in a power football league, the Huskies are angling for a Big 12 invite. By all accounts, that seems like a long shot.

The endgame might be parking its football program in, say, the Mid-American Conference (with Akron, Ohio, Buffalo, Western Michigan, etc.).

The unknown is how long UConn waits before giving up the gridiron ghost. Will it hold out hope for future ACC or Big Ten expansion? The timetable could depend on ...

3. The wild card: the Connecticut legislature. UConn’s athletics department is losing $20 million per year. How much longer will elected officials dump money down football's financial drain when the school could more than double its conference revenue — plus slash its football overhead — by reuniting with the Big East?

It’s hard to gauge the political winds from afar, so who knows. But the pressure is mounting. UConn football is 3-3 this season, with an average paid attendance of 29,120 per game.

Meanwhile, Villanova just proved that you can win a national championship in basketball out of the Big East.

Add it up, and those in the know believe it’s not a question of whether UConn will return to its roots. It’s a matter of when.
10-10-2016 08:22 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

IMO, I don't see it happening. It has been fantasized about for the past three years. A reunion would need to be advantageous for the Big East (which it clearly would), Fox (which it clearly would) and for UConn (which it definitely would for basketball for put football in a - most likely - worse spot).

The only way it would work is if Fox could somehow guarantee an independent scheduling agreement with other P5 schools, preventing UConn from playing in the MAC, C-USA or as an independent being forced to play New Mexico State and UMass as certain games every year.
10-10-2016 08:27 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(10-10-2016 08:22 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/.../91840616/

The question three years ago when the downsized Big East debuted was this: Could a basketball-driven league survive in a football world?

The next question, an undercurrent for the conference’s media day Tuesday, is this: How does the Big East capitalize on all the momentum?

Mutual interest in a reunion was widely reported over the summer, and in recent conversations with Gannett New Jersey, multiple people in the know laid out the framework. Here it is:

1. The Big East and broadcast partner Fox Sports 1 are all for it. UConn brings much to the table: the cachet of one of the top brands in college hoops, a legion of fans who travel in droves and an instant revival of some classic regional rivalries.

Forget the notion, mostly floated by fans, that UConn wanted out of the old Big East and therefore should be blackballed. There is too much to gain to be spiteful. And if we’ve learned one thing about the realignment carousel, it’s that aggression is rewarded.

Adding UConn would give the conference 11 teams, which is not a problem. For much of the Big East’s glory years of the 1980s, membership was odd-numbered at nine. Plus the league would retain a true round-robin schedule — very important to the coaches — at 20 games.

It should be noted that the Big East’s welcome-back mat would include a gargantuan exit fee.

2. UConn isn’t there yet, but the day of reckoning is coming. Still desperate to play in a power football league, the Huskies are angling for a Big 12 invite. By all accounts, that seems like a long shot.

The endgame might be parking its football program in, say, the Mid-American Conference (with Akron, Ohio, Buffalo, Western Michigan, etc.).

The unknown is how long UConn waits before giving up the gridiron ghost. Will it hold out hope for future ACC or Big Ten expansion? The timetable could depend on ...

3. The wild card: the Connecticut legislature. UConn’s athletics department is losing $20 million per year. How much longer will elected officials dump money down football's financial drain when the school could more than double its conference revenue — plus slash its football overhead — by reuniting with the Big East?

It’s hard to gauge the political winds from afar, so who knows. But the pressure is mounting. UConn football is 3-3 this season, with an average paid attendance of 29,120 per game.

Meanwhile, Villanova just proved that you can win a national championship in basketball out of the Big East.

Add it up, and those in the know believe it’s not a question of whether UConn will return to its roots. It’s a matter of when.

Yeah, but didn't Uconn also prove that you can win a national championship from the American?
10-10-2016 08:30 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-10-2016 07:35 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  What articles?

Miami Oh linked one. What are your thoughts as a Uconn fan?
Cheers!
10-10-2016 08:41 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
why would the MAC want UConn FB when they told UMass its all or nothing?
10-10-2016 08:59 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-10-2016 08:59 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  why would the MAC want UConn FB when they told UMass its all or nothing?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

If UConn were to go back to the Big East, I think it means they downgrade football. UConn would not make it long term as an independent, and the only other home that makes sense football wise is the MAC in FBS or the CAA in FCS.

JMO.
10-10-2016 09:05 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I think UConn would be better served trying to negotiate there way into a non-football membership in the ACC and seeing if they can do a Notre Dame like deal for 5 five football games to help them fill a football schedule.

UConn will probably be expected to dismantle their football program to the point that Power 5 football would never again be possible to assure their new conference mates (err...former conference mates) that they can't ever go anywhere else.
10-10-2016 09:09 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(10-10-2016 08:59 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  why would the MAC want UConn FB when they told UMass its all or nothing?

Well for one UConn is worth a bit more than UMass right now. More importantly UMass had an issue of being the 13th team and they were not the school originally desired for that spot. In this case UConn would be the more desirable property and further if the MAC did do this they could have UMass come back to get the schedule fixed. UMass before could not do that without the MAC calling up a new FCS school and that was not desirable at this time.

Getting basketball games with UConn and to a lesser extent UMass (or perhaps some other school UMass would just be the most likely and easier option) and probably money when UConn eventually leaves may be enough to pay their way in for a bit.
10-10-2016 09:10 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Is the state legislature going to let them waste a 40,000 seat stadium that they are still paying for?
10-10-2016 09:19 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(10-10-2016 09:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Is the state legislature going to let them waste a 40,000 seat stadium that they are still paying for?

Well one could make the claim that a school with UConn's means should be able to fill a 40k stadium regardless of where they are but ignoring that part the AAC is not particularly good for attendance for UConn either in the long run. The only one that will make a big difference is if they get a P5 invite which of course this conversations assumes is currently off the table.

Further I think you can make a good argument that UConn could make more money being in the Big East for basketball and not just for the media contract. The AAC currently is just a warm body that they are sticking with until they can get into the P5 (or at least that i what they are hoping for) they don't really want to be there.

Not saying that they will go to the BE since there are many questions about whether they would want to but I think they could make it work if they want to.
10-10-2016 09:28 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

It's most definitely unrelated, but Jim Calhoun will be at the Big East media day tomorrow.
10-10-2016 10:23 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
When you get your basic info wrong, how can you trust an article?

UConn never left its conference. It was the Catholic schools who left.

Obviously, UConn would never agree to a gargantuan fee. It isn't joining the MAC either, would never do that.
10-11-2016 08:05 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(10-10-2016 08:22 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/.../91840616/

Short answer to the OP: these articles all seem to come from nostalgic Old-Big East writers and they are based in delusion. The only semi-plausible scenario in which UConn returns to the Big East was the one during those weird couple of weeks where people thought the Big 12 was considering UConn as football only.

UConn football isn't going to the MAC, or FCS, or Independent, or wherever else the Big East Basketball fans want it to go so the Seton Halls of the world can leech off our basketball success again. Maybe Cincinnati will - go chase them.
10-11-2016 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I agree what makes the most sense is if UConn can work out a basketball only, partial football ACC schedule arrangement.

Then in the non conference Uconn can schedule Army and UMass every year for 2 more games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
10-11-2016 08:33 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
My thought is that this is only a backup plan if the B12 expands with two AAC members other than UConn. If the B12 does nothing, UConn stays put. If the AAC is severely weakened, the advantages of being in the AAC are no longer apparent, the benefits of playing football in the AAC are no longer greater than the benefits of playing basketball in the Big East.

IIRC, UConn, Cincy and USF had "golden handcuffs" that would have kept any of them from going with the Catholic 7 to the new Big East. Essentially, they received the lion's share of the exit fees. With those payments winding down, if not already completed, that reason for staying goes away.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 08:47 AM by orangefan.)
10-11-2016 08:41 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(10-11-2016 08:41 AM)orangefan Wrote:  My thought is that this is only a backup plan if the B12 expands with two AAC members other than UConn. If the B12 does nothing, UConn stays put. If the AAC is severely weakened, the advantages of being in the AAC are no longer apparent, the benefits of playing football in the AAC are no longer greater than the benefits of playing basketball in the Big East.

Sure. Totally different conversation IMO though. The author of this article attempts to present a narrative where the Big East is coming from a position of power in wooing UConn back to the basketball league.

If the Big 12 took UH, UC, USF, and Memphis - UConn would crawl back to the Big East with whatever terms were demanded upon it. That scenario isn't happening and UConn is not leaving a currently constructed AAC to join Seton Hall and St John's etc.
10-11-2016 08:57 AM
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
Simply put:

I do not want a single FBS program in the BE

been there/done that
10-11-2016 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.