Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#3 on the Misery Index
Bookmark and Share
cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
#3 on the Misery Index
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../91825174/

Quote:3. Cincinnati: There’s really not much that can be gleaned from the last few years of Cincinnati football, other than the obvious. When the Big East became the American Athletic Conference, the Bearcats had a huge structural advantage over programs that were coming into the league from outside the power conferences. But a few years later, the Bearcats have been passed by the likes of Houston, Memphis, Temple and Navy. That doesn’t sit well with a fan base that believes it should be leaving those programs in the dust, both figuratively and literally.

If the Big 12 is watching Cincinnati, it won’t like what it sees. The Bearcats are 0-3 in the American after a 20-9 loss at UConn, and the pain may not be over anytime soon. There are lots of problems at Cincinnati right now, including injuries, but if apathy starts bleeding into a fan base that has been used to winning football for the last decade and was a legitimate rival of Louisville, West Virginia and Pittsburgh, the consequences could be severe.

10-10-2016 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: #3 on the Misery Index
Hard to read. But true

10-10-2016 09:13 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
There is a camp that does not think our recent struggles in football are critical to the B-X (not XII), but it certainly does not help. The longer, both, the Big X (not XII) dawdles and UC football regresses, the worse.

10-10-2016 09:15 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-10-2016 09:05 AM)cpawfan Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../91825174/

Quote:3. Cincinnati: There’s really not much that can be gleaned from the last few years of Cincinnati football, other than the obvious. When the Big East became the American Athletic Conference, the Bearcats had a huge structural advantage over programs that were coming into the league from outside the power conferences. But a few years later, the Bearcats have been passed by the likes of Houston, Memphis, Temple and Navy. That doesn’t sit well with a fan base that believes it should be leaving those programs in the dust, both figuratively and literally.

If the Big 12 is watching Cincinnati, it won’t like what it sees. The Bearcats are 0-3 in the American after a 20-9 loss at UConn, and the pain may not be over anytime soon. There are lots of problems at Cincinnati right now, including injuries, but if apathy starts bleeding into a fan base that has been used to winning football for the last decade and was a legitimate rival of Louisville, West Virginia and Pittsburgh, the consequences could be severe.

Unfortunately, I can't disagree with any of this. I think the deficiencies of UC football were flying under the radar the last couple of years, from a national media perspective. No longer the case and the timing may be a worst case scenario if the Big 12 hasn't made any decisions yet.

10-10-2016 09:16 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

One benefit to next week being a bye is that the B12 board of directors don't have to deal with explaining why they would invite a team that just had 10,000 show up for a home game. I know one season or one game shouldn't matter in this decision but that would be embarrassing.

10-10-2016 09:20 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(10-10-2016 09:15 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  The longer, both, the Big X (not XII) dawdles and UC football regresses, the worse.
Seems like something I read (or maybe wrote) four years ago.

UC and Ono had numerous conversations and thus opportunities to close the deal. Great academics that didn't know how to sell. The strategy of making the girl pretty and hoping someone asks her to dance simply hasn't worked.

If October 17th passes with no invite, the harm done may be irreparable.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 12:18 PM by Ragpicker.)
10-10-2016 09:55 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Surely the BOT/President have their eyes on this situation.

They must know how critical the state of UC football is right now.

10-10-2016 10:02 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
If October 17th were not a date that anybody had every heard of, would CTT be our coach this morning?

You certainly don't want to draw negative attention to yourself right at this moment.

10-10-2016 10:08 AM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-10-2016 10:08 AM)uccheese Wrote:  If October 17th were not a date that anybody had every heard of, would CTT be our coach this morning?

You certainly don't want to draw negative attention to yourself right at this moment.

Well if we were to get a Big 12 invite on the 17th that would make for one hell of a birthday for me the day after 04-cheers

It will be 5 years ago to the date that the Bengals made the phenomenal trade of Carson to the Raiders. That was a fun birthday... This one would be even sweeter

10-10-2016 10:20 AM
daap_bearcat97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: THE UC Bearcats
(10-10-2016 09:05 AM)cpawfan Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../91825174/

Definitely true and heartbreaking! I hope to high hell someone at UC is reading this stuff and understands that the damage being done to this program is real and quite possibly devastating to the big picture and long term viability of the program.

I know we can all sit here and voice our opinions (which most don't like mine), but Bohn has a history of doing nothing and I don't believe he has the capacity to do what we all believe needs to be done. Getting this program back on track to the level where we as a fan base believe we should be and apparently USA Today feels the same way or at least sees it...and you know the old adage that "perception is reality." We are stuck in a cruel and miserable reality, staring into a black hole. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

10-10-2016 10:57 AM
50Cent Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2016 10:57 AM)daap_bearcat97 Wrote:  

Definitely true and heartbreaking! I hope to high hell someone at UC is reading this stuff and understands that the damage being done to this program is real and quite possibly devastating to the big picture and long term viability of the program.

I know we can all sit here and voice our opinions (which most don't like mine), but Bohn has a history of doing nothing and I don't believe he has the capacity to do what we all believe needs to be done. Getting this program back on track to the level where we as a fan base believe we should be and apparently USA Today feels the same way or at least sees it...and you know the old adage that "perception is reality." We are stuck in a cruel and miserable reality, staring into a black hole. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Certainly one of you Twitter types could link that article and hashtag UC AD and president

10-10-2016 11:04 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2016 10:02 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Surely the BOT/President have their eyes on this situation.

They must know how critical the state of UC football is right now.

Maybe it's not critical. Tubs said in a press conference the week before the Houston game when asked about the importance of the outcome for Big 12 expansion, "...those decisions are probably already made". If the Big 12 has any clue what they actually intend to do (which is questionable), the UC Board has already been informed, one way or the other.

10-10-2016 12:36 PM
BearcatnKY Offline
Bearcat Baller

I Root For: UC luck, ONCE.
#3 on the Misery Index
Do you know how many teams would love to be ranked #3?

10-10-2016 12:43 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(10-10-2016 12:43 PM)BearcatnKY Wrote:  Do you know how many teams would love to be ranked #3?

Two?

10-10-2016 01:02 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-10-2016 01:02 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 12:43 PM)BearcatnKY Wrote:  Do you know how many teams would love to be ranked #3?

Two?

03-lmfao

Props to both of you!

10-10-2016 01:06 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
03-lmfao

10-10-2016 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

daap_bearcat97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: THE UC Bearcats
(10-10-2016 01:06 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 01:02 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  

Two?

03-lmfao

Props to both of you!

X's 2!

10-10-2016 01:26 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
This is steller...

10-10-2016 01:36 PM
Bearcat1010 Offline
2nd String

At least UC is being mentioned in the same article as UCLA, Texas, and Notre Dame.

TT has us ranked alongside some of the blueblooks of college football right there in the official newspaper of hotels nationwide!

If we stick with TT I'm confident we can finally achieve the ultimate prize - inclusion in the exclusive ESPN "Bottom 10".

10-10-2016 01:37 PM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(10-10-2016 10:57 AM)daap_bearcat97 Wrote:  

IMO only lasting damage if we don't get in the b12 (or any P5 bid for that matter).

If we do, it won't be difficult to swap out coaches and we will instantly have an entirely new story, situation and big time schedule to sell recruits (not to mention advertisers and FANS).

If we don't get an invite this is going to remain a very tough place for any coach to make and/or maintain being nationally relevant.

No matter how bad things are - it probably doesn't make sense to jettison TT until the Big 12 question is resolved. Our chances of getting a VERY marketable coach will go up exponentially if positive.

Sorry I know all that sounds negative but, IMO its the truth.

10-10-2016 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.