Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS"sports" channel
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
CBS"sports" channel
So while waiting to watch the NIU/WMU game, we had to wait until the Navy/Houston game was done. Fine. But after the game, they stayed at that game to watch them sing the alma mater instead of switching to the NIU/WMU game, which was already happening, and we'd already missed the beginning of the game.

I found that very insulting. One of the many things that makes college football totally dysfunctional.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 10:38 PM by NIU007.)
10-08-2016 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
RE: CBS"sports" channel
The navy fight song part is a big deal. Remember CBS sports has been broadcasting Navy home games for years. That's really their marquee property. Them and army.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:15 PM by adcorbett.)
10-08-2016 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 10:53 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The navy fight song part is a big deal. Remember CBS sports has been broadcasting Navy home games for years. That's really their marquee property. Then and army.

Fine, then schedule more time between games.
10-08-2016 11:09 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think most Americans would rather watch Navy's alma mater.
10-08-2016 11:14 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 11:14 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think most Americans would rather watch Navy's alma mater.

Really? I don't get the attraction at all. Guess you had to be there. And you don't have any idea what most Americans would rather watch.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:16 PM by NIU007.)
10-08-2016 11:15 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(10-08-2016 11:09 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 10:53 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The navy fight song part is a big deal. Remember CBS sports has been broadcasting Navy home games for years. That's really their marquee property. Then and army.

They specifically told you where you could watch the game, for free, online until this game ended. It's not rocket science.
10-08-2016 11:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

leofrog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(10-08-2016 11:15 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 11:14 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think most Americans would rather watch Navy's alma mater.

Really? I don't get the attraction at all. Guess you had to be there. And you don't have any idea what most Americans would rather watch.

Really? You had other options to watch the game. I guess you're not a fan of 'Merica, since they were waiting for the US Naval Academy to sing their alma mater.
10-08-2016 11:23 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 11:23 PM)leofrog Wrote:  

Really? You had other options to watch the game. I guess you're not a fan of 'Merica, since they were waiting for the US Naval Academy to sing their alma mater.

That's my point. They could have given people options to watch the alma mater on-line and switched to an actual sports event. Or, they could have re-played it at any time - during halftime, during a commercial break, whenever. Has nothing to do with being a fan of America.
10-08-2016 11:32 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 11:17 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

They specifically told you where you could watch the game, for free, online until this game ended. It's not rocket science.

They could have told people where to watch the alma mater while an actual sports event was going on.
10-08-2016 11:32 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I'm an NIU fan and 100% back CBS on this one. Navy's alma mater is one of the sport's greater traditions and they had just shocked a top 10 team for the first time since '84.

Missing the first 5-10 minutes of the next game is completely understandable, especially since you can access it online.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:34 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
10-08-2016 11:33 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 11:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I'm an NIU fan and 100% back CBS on this one. Navy's alma mater is one of the sport's greater traditions and they had just shocked a top 10 team for the first time since '84.

Missing the first 5-10 minutes of the next game is completely understandable, especially since you can access it online.

Just an example of the inertia that the MAC fights, that's all. I don't want to hear about the MAC teams not doing what they need to do to move up or get better. They try but the lack of respect is inherent in the priorities that the media always sets, and makes it impossible. This is just one small example, and not the worst example, admittedly.

And, I was out at a bar and wasn't able to get it on my phone for some reason.

I should provide some context. I went to a bar in DeKalb not 1/4 mile from the stadium, kind of an NIU bar, got there early to sit at the bar with a TV in front of me. First we missed part of the 1st quarter due to the Navy/Houston game and the singing. For a little while we had the sound so I was able to hear one of the refs call us Northern Iowa. Then in 2nd quarter the Cubs game started and the sound was turned off for the NIU game. Then the TV was switched to the Cubs game, so I had to stand around in a different area where there was still a TV, showing the football game, for most of the game. Then of course, my team lost, but that was expected. So that's why I'm pissed.

So I see why our attendance sucks. Most people don't want to put up with the disrespect and the constant denigration as "not real football" and certainly not important enough to care about.

Though I can understand the excitement about the Cubs since they're only good about once every 100 years or so. Cleveland's got nothing on them for ineptitude.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 01:20 AM by NIU007.)
10-08-2016 11:38 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
This is going to sound mean, but if a bar in NIU's neighborhood doesn't give a crap about the NIU fame, why do you expect CBS-SN to? Especually remembering that CBS-SN specifically buys navy and army football because of vets who will pay to watch the games?
10-09-2016 08:19 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2016 08:19 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  This is going to sound mean, but if a bar in NIU's neighborhood doesn't give a crap about the NIU fame, why do you expect CBS-SN to? Especually remembering that CBS-SN specifically buys navy and army football because of vets who will pay to watch the games?

I'm disappointed because NEITHER cared. Especially the bar. But the bar at least did have the game on. They didn't leave it off because somebody wanted to sing.
10-09-2016 09:30 AM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
CBSSN having the Houston - Navy game was great for them--it was one of the big upsets of the day and was getting lots of attention so I don't blame them for spending some time even after the game ended before moving on to the next game.
I've had to miss good chunks of the 1st quarter of BYU's games the past 2 weeks because earlier games run long. This week it was the ND-NCST synchronized swimming/football game which was delayed at half by 30 minutes or so due to lightning that caused their delay. The game that got delayed was Michigan St-BYU so its not like they are specifically picking on the MAC or NIU for some reason. No good reason to take offense there.
10-09-2016 09:33 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
First World problems....

Talk to old guys here when you were SOL outside your radio signal.
10-09-2016 09:41 AM
Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: P4
(10-08-2016 11:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I'm an NIU fan and 100% back CBS on this one. Navy's alma mater is one of the sport's greater traditions and they had just shocked a top 10 team for the first time since '84.

And the game won't be decided in the first 10 minutes anyway; especially since every game seems to include a lucky comeback these days (FSU, Tennessee, etc.). I often find myself tuning in after halftime.
10-09-2016 09:46 AM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

They should definitely do that, especially with all the passing in today's game and all the meaningless stoppages after first downs.
10-09-2016 09:47 AM
Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

Most Americans live in the East and West Coast, much more than in Minivan and Illinois, so I think probability would state that Navy would garner more interest.
10-09-2016 09:49 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2016 09:33 AM)f1do Wrote:  CBSSN having the Houston - Navy game was great for them--it was one of the big upsets of the day and was getting lots of attention so I don't blame them for spending some time even after the game ended before moving on to the next game.
I've had to miss good chunks of the 1st quarter of BYU's games the past 2 weeks because earlier games run long. This week it was the ND-NCST synchronized swimming/football game which was delayed at half by 30 minutes or so due to lightning that caused their delay. The game that got delayed was Michigan St-BYU so its not like they are specifically picking on the MAC or NIU for some reason. No good reason to take offense there.

That would be different as the game was still going on. I have no problem with them finishing the game before moving on to the next one.
10-09-2016 09:51 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:I think most Americans would rather watch Navy's alma mater.

Most Americans aren't fans of the MAC West, I guess!
10-09-2016 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.