Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Access Bowl-Do you have to win your conference?
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
If Houston finishes 11-1 but doesn't make the AAC CCG, because of Navy, is Houston still eligible for the Access Bowl Auto bid if it's the highest ranked of the G5 conferences? Or is it the highest ranked champion of the 5 conferences? There's only been 2 games so far in this set up:
2014: MWC champ Boise St was the highest ranked G5 school
2015: AAC champ Houston was the highest ranked G5 school
2016: What if Houston is ranked higher than any other G5 school at the end of this year? Houston, we will have a problem!
Cheers!
10-08-2016 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Access Bowl-Do you have to win your conference?
Highest Ranked G5 Champion
10-08-2016 09:36 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I remember asking that very question last year and getting into a heated debate with stever on how things "should" be.

But there is no question on how they currently are written: has to be a champ.
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-08-2016 09:31 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  If Houston finishes 11-1 but doesn't make the AAC CCG, because of Navy, is Houston still eligible for the Access Bowl Auto bid if it's the highest ranked of the G5 conferences? Or is it the highest ranked champion of the 5 conferences? There's only been 2 games so far in this set up:
2016: What if Houston is ranked higher than any other G5 school at the end of this year? Houston, we will have a problem!
Cheers!

No. The CFP rule says the Access Bowl slot is for the highest-ranked G5 conference champ, so if Houston doesn't win the AAC it cannot be the G5 Access Bowl team.
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-08-2016 09:31 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  If Houston finishes 11-1 but doesn't make the AAC CCG, because of Navy, is Houston still eligible for the Access Bowl Auto bid if it's the highest ranked of the G5 conferences? Or is it the highest ranked champion of the 5 conferences? There's only been 2 games so far in this set up:
Cheers!

The access bowl auto-bid goes to the highest ranked G5 *conference champ*. So, no, Houston isn't eligible for that particular auto-bid slot in your scenario. They'd have to get an at-large bid in the same pool as the P5 non-champs.
10-08-2016 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(10-08-2016 09:36 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Highest Ranked G5 Champion

Correct. Have to win the conference championship to be considered for the Access Bowl.
10-08-2016 09:37 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

Thanks everyone. Well, Navy will have to lose 2 games and the Coogs will have to win out then. Houston is way too talented to be playing vs the ACC #9 or the SEC #10 in a bowl game this year. That will suck!
Cheers!
10-08-2016 09:40 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Ha!

Ask, and he shall receive.

Oh, and last year IIRC, the "runner up" in the Access Slot sweepstakes didn't even get to play a P5 team. It was some G5 v G5 bowl, way down on the list. But that could've been a MAC team. AAC probably does still have some slots vs P5 teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 09:43 PM by MplsBison.)
10-08-2016 09:42 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-08-2016 09:37 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Correct. Have to win the conference championship to be considered for the Access Bowl.

Note that this rule does apply only to the designated G5 Access slot. If Houston somehow were to be ranked in the top 10, they could theoretically be invited to another at-large slot in a NY6 (Access) bowl if such a slot was available even if they aren't the AAC champ.

But two G5 in NY6 bowls, that's just not going to happen. And if were to happen this year, it would match G5 vs G5, as the Cotton Bowl is the only bowl whose slots are not taken by conference contracts this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 09:48 PM by quo vadis.)
10-08-2016 09:42 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-08-2016 09:42 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Note that this rule does apply only to the designated G5 Access slot. If Houston somehow were to be ranked in the top 10, they could theoretically be invited to another at-large slot in a NY6 (Access) bowl if such a slot was available even if they aren't the AAC champ.

But two G5 in NY6 bowls, that's just not going to happen. And if were to happen this year, it would match G5 vs G5, as the Cotton Bowl is the only bowl whose slots are not taken by conference contracts this year.

Only problem this is the worst year for at-large spots. More than likely only one spot will be available. I doubt Fiesta would want two G5 teams.

Orange ACC vs B10/SEC
Rose P12 vs B10
Sugar SEC vs B12
Fiesta G5 vs At-Large
Cotton & Peach Semi's
10-08-2016 10:01 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Two Big Ten teams in the CFP, another in the Rose, another in the Orange?

I like it! 04-cheers
10-08-2016 10:04 PM
Advertisement

leofrog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(10-08-2016 10:01 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Only problem this is the worst year for at-large spots. More than likely only one spot will be available. I doubt Fiesta would want two G5 teams.

Orange ACC vs B10/SEC
Rose P12 vs B10
Sugar SEC vs B12
Fiesta G5 vs At-Large
Cotton & Peach Semi's

Correct except that the semis this year are the Fiesta and Peach. The Cotton Bowl drew the short straw.
10-08-2016 10:36 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Orange ACC vs B10/SEC
Rose P12 vs B10
Sugar SEC vs B12
Fiesta G5 vs At-Large
Cotton & Peach Semi's
The Peach and Fiesta are the playoff bowls this year.

And because G5 can only play in Access Bowls and two of them are the playoff games, there is only at large spot possible for a non-champ G5 and that would be against the official G5 Access champ in the Cotton.

And you are correct that no way would the Cotton want G5 vs G5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-08-2016 10:37 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If Navy finishes at 11-1, can they make the NY6? I'm thinking it would help Navy if Wyoming or Air Force won the MWC, and Western Michigan did not finish undefeated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-09-2016 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

Orange ACC vs B10/SEC
Rose P12 vs B10
Sugar SEC vs B12
Fiesta G5 vs At-Large
Cotton & Peach Semi's

So, you're saying it's way-too-early NY6 projection time? Sweet.

Right now the semis would be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan. But OSU plays Michigan, so drop one of those down a few spots and bring in Washington. Next up is Houston, who just lost to Navy.

So the semis Alabama, OSU/Michigan winner, Clemson, Washington.
Rose OSU/Michigan loser vs #15 Stanford
Sugar #8 Texas A&M vs #13 Baylor
Orange #7 Louisville vs Tennessee? Wisconsin? (SEC/B10 rotation rules come into play)
Fiesta #19 Boise STate vs #10 Miami
10-09-2016 08:02 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-09-2016 08:02 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Orange ACC vs B10/SEC
Rose P12 vs B10
Sugar SEC vs B12
Fiesta G5 vs At-Large
Cotton & Peach Semi's

So, you're saying it's way-too-early NY6 projection time? Sweet.

Right now the semis would be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan. But OSU plays Michigan, so drop one of those down a few spots and bring in Washington. Next up is Houston, who just lost to Navy.

So the semis Alabama, OSU/Michigan winner, Clemson, Washington.
Rose OSU/Michigan loser vs #15 Stanford
Sugar #8 Texas A&M vs #13 Baylor
Orange #7 Louisville vs Tennessee? Wisconsin? (SEC/B10 rotation rules come into play)
Fiesta #19 Boise STate vs #10 Miami

I was correct, the COTTON is hosting the G5 team this year, the Peach and Fiesta are the Playoff games.

Concerning the Orange ... it must take the highest ranked available B1G or SEC team (ND is out of the picture, obviously) this year, meaning schools that aren't in the playoffs or the Rose or Sugar.
10-09-2016 08:38 AM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:If Navy finishes at 11-1, can they make the NY6? I'm thinking it would help Navy if Wyoming or Air Force won the MWC, and Western Michigan did not finish undefeated.

Any AAC champ at 1L can make it to the NY6. They will just require the two Bronco teams (Boise & WMU) to have 1L, too. AAC's tougher conference would give them the nod, IMO. The MW isn't so powerful, and Boise doesn't play SD State until the MWC game.
10-09-2016 11:14 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-09-2016 11:14 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:If Navy finishes at 11-1, can they make the NY6? I'm thinking it would help Navy if Wyoming or Air Force won the MWC, and Western Michigan did not finish undefeated.

Any AAC champ at 1L can make it to the NY6. They will just require the two Bronco teams (Boise & WMU) to have 1L, too. AAC's tougher conference would give them the nod, IMO. The MW isn't so powerful, and Boise doesn't play SD State until the MWC game.

Correct. All equal, and the AAC champ will get the Access bid. But right now, Boise and WM have the better record.
10-09-2016 01:46 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-09-2016 11:14 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  

Both Bronco teams have 2 P5 wins though Boises are better and Boise still has BYU at home for a good OOC schedule....But I could see Boise losing a couple MWC games as they are in the tougher side of the MWC and still have to beat SDSU in the CCG. WMU could, and maybe should run the table this year.
Cheers!
10-09-2016 02:35 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Access Bowl-Do you have to win your conference?

BTW, yes, this has always been a requirement. Kind of implied during BCS times where you had to be in the Top 15 or 16 to get an auto-bid. But now, it's only the best out of the 5 Conf Champs. BYU is not included.

Quote:But I could see Boise losing a couple MWC games as they are in the tougher side of the MWC and still have to beat SDSU in the CCG. WMU could, and maybe should run the table this year.

And we never thought Navy would beat Houston. Basically, we won't know what could happen until week 11 or so. :)
10-10-2016 10:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.