Cheers!
10-08-2016 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

leofrog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Navy to Big 12
I know joking, but before Navy joined the AAC, I thought the smart move would have been to take BYU and Navy as football only members. I know Navy has always had reservations about being able to compete in a top tier conference, but I think they would be able to handle it.
10-08-2016 06:00 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Congrats to the Midshipmen. Hell of an effort.
10-08-2016 06:01 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
That game was all effort and preparedness. Probably the only time I've rooted against Navy, congrats Midshipmen!
10-08-2016 06:12 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Don't think you'll ever see Navy in the same football conference as Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

But I do think you'll see Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same football conference one day. Probably about 5-6 years away, if I had to guess.
10-08-2016 06:19 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-08-2016 06:19 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Don't think you'll ever see Navy in the same football conference as Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

But I do think you'll see Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same football conference one day. Probably about 5-6 years away, if I had to guess.

Do you think Army will join the new "western wing" of the AAC with Air Force, Boise, San Diego St and Colorado St?
Cheers!
10-08-2016 06:23 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I love watching Navy play. They are incredibly disciplined, play their hearts out, and are very fundamental. Going back to the Paul Johnson days, they are always very prepared and play very smart. They are a wonderful representation (along with Army & Air Force) for our armed forces.
10-08-2016 06:24 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Well, Houston isn't after today, so ... why not? 07-coffee3
10-08-2016 06:27 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-08-2016 06:27 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Well, Houston isn't after today, so ... why not? 07-coffee3

It would kill you if Houston got into the Big 12 wouldn't it?
Cheers!
10-08-2016 06:30 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(10-08-2016 06:23 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Do you think Army will join the new "western wing" of the AAC with Air Force, Boise, San Diego St and Colorado St?
That's one possibility, although I'd be really stunned if Boise is involved in any way. Lots of bitterness and bad blood.

More broadly, though, there are a lot of moving parts here, lots of main issues and secondary issues that will (IMHO) take several years to sort through. But ultimately I think the $$$ will drive the bus, and I think the bus's ultimate destination (for Army-Navy-AFA) will be the AAC. We shall see.
Cheers!
10-08-2016 06:35 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Navy to Big 12
(10-08-2016 06:00 PM)leofrog Wrote:  I know joking, but before Navy joined the AAC, I thought the smart move would have been to take BYU and Navy as football only members. I know Navy has always had reservations about being able to compete in a top tier conference, but I think they would be able to handle it.

Not without changing some mandatory requirements like H/W standards, service commitments, academic rigor, PRT standards... pretty much everything that differentiates Navy from an ROTC program.
10-08-2016 06:48 PM
Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: P4
(10-08-2016 06:35 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 06:23 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Do you think Army will join the new "western wing" of the AAC with Air Force, Boise, San Diego St and Colorado St?
That's one possibility, although I'd be really stunned if Boise is involved in any way. Lots of bitterness and bad blood.

More broadly, though, there are a lot of moving parts here, lots of main issues and secondary issues that will (IMHO) take several years to sort through. But ultimately I think the $$$ will drive the bus, and I think the bus's ultimate destination (for Army-Navy-AFA) will be the AAC. We shall see.
Cheers!

Bitterness between Boise JC and those western teams? Because of their current special deal?
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 08:57 PM by Scoochpooch.)
10-08-2016 08:55 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-08-2016 06:48 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 06:00 PM)leofrog Wrote:  I know joking, but before Navy joined the AAC, I thought the smart move would have been to take BYU and Navy as football only members. I know Navy has always had reservations about being able to compete in a top tier conference, but I think they would be able to handle it.

Not without changing some mandatory requirements like H/W standards, service commitments, academic rigor, PRT standards... pretty much everything that differentiates Navy from an ROTC program.

I've gone on about H/W standards on here. It's particularly frustrating when someone who's never been in the military tries to explain ways around those regs...it's why Army will never be in a conference again no matter how much people on here want them to be.
Cheers!
10-08-2016 09:03 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy

When Navy joined the Big East, didn't people say this very same thing? Did folks think it could ever thump a top-10 program again?

I don't disagree with the concern, but Navy looked past this before because it knew access could do things for recruiting.

It's not illogical. They challenged themselves before (and let's not forget they wanted to be in a conference with PSU and others in the 70's and 80's, too). Heck, would it be that surprising if they joined the ACC even partially? BC, Cuse, Pitt, UL...schools they were fine with?
10-08-2016 10:35 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(10-08-2016 06:23 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 06:19 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Don't think you'll ever see Navy in the same football conference as Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

Do you think Army will join the new "western wing" of the AAC with Air Force, Boise, San Diego St and Colorado St?
Cheers!

No to any conference as long as Monken coaches.

#FireMonken
10-09-2016 01:27 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(10-08-2016 10:35 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

When Navy joined the Big East, didn't people say this very same thing? Did folks think it could ever thump a top-10 program again?

I don't disagree with the concern, but Navy looked past this before because it knew access could do things for recruiting.

It's not illogical. They challenged themselves before (and let's not forget they wanted to be in a conference with PSU and others in the 70's and 80's, too). Heck, would it be that surprising if they joined the ACC even partially? BC, Cuse, Pitt, UL...schools they were fine with?

I'll repeat...to look at competing in CFB at the current level requires Navy to make exceptions for football players right now. Going to a P5 conference will require greater changes and effectively create a different kind of Midshipmen at a school where everyone wears the same uniform.

When you mention recruiting, are you talking about on the field? Otherwise Navy, along with Army and AF get over 10K applicants a year applying for about 1200 slots.
10-09-2016 04:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.