Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

USF trying to pile on points on ECU
Bookmark and Share
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
USF trying to pile on points on ECU
What was up at the end of the USF-ECU game? USF with the ball and a 16 point lead with less than a minute left, go for the deep pass down to the 20-ish yard line. Then they go for the end zone with 16 seconds left and connect. But it gets called back on an offensive interference call. So, last play of the game, USF goes for the end zone again. Incomplete pass - game over.

Why was USF trying to put these points on? The game was close early in the 4th, but the points were unnecessary.

Surely USF doesn't think they have a shot at rankings or whatever. Bad blood?
10-08-2016 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

RE: USF trying to pile on points on ECU
Tiebreaker?
10-08-2016 03:37 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not cool, whatever it was. I can understand scoring in a blowout if the opponent just can't stop you. Of if you're in the red zone and you think it could matter. But to throw deep, call timeouts, and run your 2-minute drill in that situation is pretty questionable.
10-09-2016 10:14 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I don't like blowouts... the bowling green one bugged me.
10-09-2016 11:49 PM
MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers!!!!!
(10-09-2016 11:49 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  I don't like blowouts... the bowling green one bugged me.

Yeah looked a but much but ya can tell the second, third string players "hey don't go play hard.... they worked for it ..."
10-10-2016 01:13 AM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Not much more we could have done v. Bowling Green.

South Florida doing this - that is ugly.
10-10-2016 01:19 AM
KYTIGER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UofM
(10-09-2016 11:49 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  I don't like blowouts... the bowling green one bugged me.

I don't believe there was a single player on the 2 deep roster in the game on defense. There just wasn't much that could be done.
10-10-2016 06:03 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(10-08-2016 02:39 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  What was up at the end of the USF-ECU game? USF with the ball and a 16 point lead with less than a minute left, go for the deep pass down to the 20-ish yard line. Then they go for the end zone with 16 seconds left and connect. But it gets called back on an offensive interference call. So, last play of the game, USF goes for the end zone again. Incomplete pass - game over.

Why was USF trying to put these points on? The game was close early in the 4th, but the points were unnecessary.

What was even worse was that USF Head Coach Taggart kept his starters in for those plays...including his very valuable QB, Flowers.

What if Flowers was lost for the rest of the season on any of those plays in the final seconds...or one of their good WR's?

2 theories as to why this was done:

1) Taggart knows he has to jump ship to a better job after this season while the iron is hot as a 23 pt win looks better on a resume (almost no one watched this game so no P5 team would know they tried to score with 1 second left), let alone that USF is in 1st place in the East with a 5-1 (2-0) conf record and for this HOMECOMING Game on a beautiful day, drew an actual crowd of just 16,585 and was played before 49,305 EMPTY SEATS....as USF plays in front of more empty seats than most AAC Stadium have in TOTAL SEATS.

2) Game opened at USF - 20...and it didn't get below -16 till game day...so maybe Taggart has some Pete Rose in him...and/or some very wealthy boosters got a message to him that they BETTER SCORE in those final seconds to help cover their bet.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 06:40 AM by KnightLight.)
10-10-2016 06:39 AM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
U.S.F. Auditioning for ACC
10-10-2016 07:45 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(10-10-2016 01:13 AM)MonsterTigerBlue Wrote:  

Yeah looked a but much but ya can tell the second, third string players "hey don't go play hard.... they worked for it ..."

Yea...I thought of all those reasons and understood. And there was the fact that their coach let his players emotions get off track.
10-10-2016 12:34 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(10-10-2016 06:39 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 02:39 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  What was up at the end of the USF-ECU game? USF with the ball and a 16 point lead with less than a minute left, go for the deep pass down to the 20-ish yard line. Then they go for the end zone with 16 seconds left and connect. But it gets called back on an offensive interference call. So, last play of the game, USF goes for the end zone again. Incomplete pass - game over.

What was even worse was that USF Head Coach Taggart kept his starters in for those plays...including his very valuable QB, Flowers.

What if Flowers was lost for the rest of the season on any of those plays in the final seconds...or one of their good WR's?

2 theories as to why this was done:

1) Taggart knows he has to jump ship to a better job after this season while the iron is hot as a 23 pt win looks better on a resume (almost no one watched this game so no P5 team would know they tried to score with 1 second left), let alone that USF is in 1st place in the East with a 5-1 (2-0) conf record and for this HOMECOMING Game on a beautiful day, drew an actual crowd of just 16,585 and was played before 49,305 EMPTY SEATS....as USF plays in front of more empty seats than most AAC Stadium have in TOTAL SEATS.

2) Game opened at USF - 20...and it didn't get below -16 till game day...so maybe Taggart has some Pete Rose in him...and/or some very wealthy boosters got a message to him that they BETTER SCORE in those final seconds to help cover their bet.

So the line was 16? And they had a 16 point lead? If so, it certainly begs the question if that had anything to do with trying to score with under a minute to go. Although, why not just kick a FG? Or would that be too obvious?
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 12:41 PM by TiminMem23.)
10-10-2016 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.