Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TU v SMU Observations
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
TU v SMU Observations
Good game. Lousy refs. How do you spell "over-officious"? (Over-officeous?). Sports is not all about the guys in stripes. But the good news is - we won again.

There needs to be a new penalty called "illegal use of flag". :)

More Later.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:19 AM by rabidTU2.)
10-08-2016 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: TU v SMU Observations
Probably Dane's worse game in a long time. He missed his downfield passes really bad(not even close) and several of those would have been touchdowns.......he constantly threw behind his receivers......just a real bad night overall. I hope that's his bad game for the year. Play like that next week and it will be a massacre not just a big Houston win!!!
10-08-2016 11:13 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/news/2016/...night.aspx

Statisitics are on the right of the page.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:16 AM by rabidTU2.)
10-08-2016 11:14 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2016 11:13 AM)jfisher Wrote:  Probably Dane's worse game in a long time. He missed his downfield passes really bad(not even close) and several of those would have been touchdowns.......he constantly threw behind his receivers......just a real bad night overall. I hope that's his bad game for the year. Play like that next week and it will be a massacre not just a big Houston win!!!

Fully agree. I think we've had to live with Dane's weaknesses as well as strengths for 4 years. I also think anything that occurs off the field of play effects him too much. For instance, his right tackle and right guard both got injured early on and IMO he saw that and then said to himself, "I have to adjust. Maybe throw a little quicker. Scramble if there is pressure" etc. Who knows what goes on between a QBs ears when a defensive lineman is breathing down his neck. But with Dane, I get the idea he tries to adjust too much. But of course thats just my take. But I sure do like him carrying the ball when "its there". Two OT wins proves that. :)

Good news is we are 4-1 and the one loss is to a probable final four team on the road. Bad news is, we have to play Houston now in Houston.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:40 AM by rabidTU2.)
10-08-2016 11:30 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
He probably played like that because of those UGLY black uniforms.....my wife asked which team was Tulsa???? Tulsa didn't realize they were suppose to play like Tulsa because of those UGLY(god they looked terrible on TV). Blue on black helmets, some genius must have thought of that!!!! Since they played so bad hopefully they burned they uniforms!!!
10-08-2016 04:31 PM
Advertisement

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I usually record the games and watch later. I did rewatch yesterday and it was enlightening. Here are a few of my observations after watching it again.

1. The crowd as viewed on TV was very good. One of the criticisms I usually have when attendance is low is that it is because of the schedule - team we are playing. But I like playing an SMU because they are a team our fans are familiar with and being a team close by, bringing fans to Tulsa - not just from Dallas, but north Texas as well as other parts of our state. So it was a huge improvement although it doesn't make up for NC A@T and the sparse turnout. We should always schedule teams near us whenever possible. Attendance was somewhere around 23,000. We should average that every year IMO. And I was impressed by the turnout because we were still up against the Tulsa State Fair, but that wasn't a problem.

2. The ESPN announcer said that TU has won 4 of the last 5 with SMU and alhough I knew we had won several lately, i didn't realize it was that lopsided before PM. But we need to keep this going. Next year SMU will be much better because they are young, at home and Morris will be in his third year.

3. We are in RB "heaven" right now with Brewer and Flanders (as well as the transfer Taylor who is very good). We basically have three backs that can hurt you in three different ways. Brewer is the runner ready to break the big one at anytime - to the house. Flanders is unbelievably tough and strong. He flattended a couple of SMU defenders like Larry Czonka used to in the 60's. He just has that low center of gravity and "lean". Taylor is the embodiment of both those two and probably more versatile. Not quite as fast as "De" and not quite as physical as James, but a little of both. ------- Mr Inside. Mr Outside. And Mr Both.

3. IMO Deangelo saved the game when he recovered a botched handoff from Dane with about 2:50 seconds to go in regulation. That would have been a killer and given the ball to SMU inside the 20 yardline with enough time to score. But the recovery allowed us to play "clock". Another big play was the punt fake attempt by SMU that didn't work. Nice play and tackle by our stud in the making - McKinley Whitfield.

4. The OT QB draw is a very nice "set up" play for us because the defense can't tell what to line up in prior to snap. Its four down territory and we will keep the ball in the QBs hands as long as possible and check off to pass if needed. So there was no possiblity of turnover down there which would have ended the game.

5. its very nice to go into Houston now even though they will be looking for some degree of payback on anyone after their unexpected loss. Navy won by just keeping the ball on the ground, but we will have to throw some because we aren't a triple option team and throwing is what we do.

6. We are now 4-1 and that is about where we thought we'd be. So lets just keep playing our game. Two more wins and we are bowl eligible. That is goal #1.

GO TU!
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 09:43 PM by rabidTU2.)
10-09-2016 02:17 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

Just saw where TU picked up a vote in the Coaches Poll. That means we are being looked at and not ignored. Just keep playing hard and good things will start happening. I get the idea the fans and media like the way we play.
10-10-2016 08:24 PM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
Can't pull too many more overtimes and expect to win. Tulsa has pulled that rabbit trick too many times already. Tulsa needs to get ahead in the first half for a change instead of being the comback kid.
10-11-2016 07:03 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

My main concern with these OT games is that they wear us out physically. We've now played two in a row and with the number of plays we normally run, that puts a lot of stress on the players' bodies. I just hope we don't lose Wright and Brubaker for the next game after they were "helped" off the field late in the game. We ran over 100 plays and SMU must have come close to that. That is a lot of reps to begin with and then if you pile on the OT's on top of that, it can be taxing. I was thinking of calling into the PM radio show last night to inquire about those two to see if they were good to go against Houston this week, but chickened out. But i was hoping someone was brave enough to call in that question - none did.
10-11-2016 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.