Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Okay fellow ECU fans, enough is enough
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
The more I read about the in stadium reaction (racial slurs, band members being spit on, getting hit with bottles, a black band member being told to drink bleach, and calling other members "n lovers") the more I think we need to realize that that stuff is part of why the peaceful protests are happening. It's also upsetting that a peaceful protest was met with violence that was eerily reminiscent of the efforts to thwart the civil rights movement.

However the most upsetting thing about the entire thing is the fact that the ECU administration and the fans themselves have made it an effort to cover up what happened to the band and have only focused on the protest and the boos. Stop acting like racism has been fixed, cause it hasn't and not pointing out what happened to the band when they returned to the stands is only enabling it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-06-2016 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER
RE: Okay fellow ECU fans, enough is enough
(10-06-2016 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  The more I read about the in stadium reaction (racial slurs, band members being spit on, getting hit with bottles, a black band member being told to drink bleach, and calling other members "n lovers") the more I think we need to realize that that stuff is part of why the peaceful protests are happening. It's also upsetting that a peaceful protest was met with violence that was eerily reminiscent of the efforts to thwart the civil rights movement.

However the most upsetting thing about the entire thing is the fact that the ECU administration and the fans themselves have made it an effort to cover up what happened to the band and have only focused on the protest and the boos. Stop acting like racism has been fixed, cause it hasn't and not pointing out what happened to the band when they returned to the stands is only enabling it.

Wrong board, mods please move this like you did all the other threads discussing this same topic
10-06-2016 10:43 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

(10-06-2016 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  The more I read about the in stadium reaction (racial slurs, band members being spit on, getting hit with bottles, a black band member being told to drink bleach, and calling other members "n lovers") the more I think we need to realize that that stuff is part of why the peaceful protests are happening. It's also upsetting that a peaceful protest was met with violence that was eerily reminiscent of the efforts to thwart the civil rights movement.

I believe a large number of band members who kneeled down were white. I would argue fan reaction was more in response to the disrespect to the country with a "slacktivism" stunt as opposed to being racial motivated.
10-06-2016 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
derek78 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston
OP, as you are in ground zero, can you fill us in on why they chose to kneel/not play during the game, as well as what reaction they were expecting from 40k football fans?

I'd rather hear it from a source instead of reading the media reports.
10-06-2016 11:01 AM
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
No way? People were being called racist? Welcome to 2016 OP. If you disagree with anything you're racist.
10-06-2016 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(10-06-2016 10:43 AM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  

Wrong board, mods please move this like you did all the other threads discussing this same topic

This ^^^^^^^^^
10-06-2016 11:09 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
[Image: f9f810a3d4f8ca7285fdc621752e24db.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 11:19 AM by Wilkie01.)
10-06-2016 11:11 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Going back to Kaepernick, kneeling during the National Anthem was a FLAWED PROTEST from the start.

It put an important social issue in the pandoras box of being Un-American.

It was poorly thought out and its execution was even worse.
10-06-2016 11:13 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
If I were those students, I'd be wrapping myself in the flag... explaining how racists are the ones refusing to live by the ethos of this country.
10-06-2016 11:16 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Online
Business Drunk

I disagree with the kneeling from a task performance standpoint. The band members took a knee when they were supposed to be playing. Taking a knee when all that you're expected to be doing at that moment is standing around is one thing, but you don't see the college and NFL players taking a knee on the field during plays.

In the words of a man who I'm certain is an android, "Do you job".
10-06-2016 11:24 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
If you wanna address ECU fans maybe you should post this on an ECU board.
10-06-2016 11:30 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
If you boo band nerds you're racist! I suggest you start cheering them!
10-06-2016 11:34 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(10-06-2016 11:30 AM)shere khan Wrote:  If you wanna address ECU fans maybe you should post this on an ECU board.

I refuse to even think about BYB let along posting over there.

10-06-2016 05:52 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(10-06-2016 11:01 AM)derek78 Wrote:  OP, as you are in ground zero, can you fill us in on why they chose to kneel/not play during the game, as well as what reaction they were expecting from 40k football fans?

I can't talk for them but I would at least go out on a limb and say that they didn't expect Jim Crow era langue/reaction. Maybe at most "liberal scum" but hey maybe I'm just not used to post-trump reactions.

As far as why, well they aren't speaking but the band seems to be unified with the ones that kneeled. I only disagree with the not playing, if they had knelled and played then I think this would've blown over by Tuesday.

10-06-2016 05:57 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(10-06-2016 10:47 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  

I believe a large number of band members who kneeled down were white. I would argue fan reaction was more in response to the disrespect to the country with a "slacktivism" stunt as opposed to being racial motivated.

Maybe but the use of racial slurs and the black members being told to drink bleach were clearly racism.

10-06-2016 05:59 PM
Bacca Buc Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The American

Were you at the game? If so, in what section did you sit?
You made it sound like the entire stadium was a turn of the century (1900) KKK parade.......1st time I have heard this kind of take on the event. Cover up???
10-06-2016 09:08 PM
DowdyPirate Online
Heisman

(10-06-2016 05:57 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 11:01 AM)derek78 Wrote:  OP, as you are in ground zero, can you fill us in on why they chose to kneel/not play during the game, as well as what reaction they were expecting from 40k football fans?

I can't talk for them but I would at least go out on a limb and say that they didn't expect Jim Crow era langue/reaction. Maybe at most "liberal scum" but hey maybe I'm just not used to post-trump reactions.

As far as why, well they aren't speaking but the band seems to be unified with the ones that kneeled. I only disagree with the not playing, if they had knelled and played then I think this would've blown over by Tuesday.

If they were unifed they would've kneeled. I know 2 current band members. Both are pissed off.

"As for why", because no reason, they're dumb and think they're making a difference and want attention
10-07-2016 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.