Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt Offense X's & O's (re: Matt Canada)
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
Pitt Offense X's & O's (re: Matt Canada)
Here are two links I found to some breakdowns of Pitt's offense under first year (for Pitt) OC Matt Canada. I thought they were really well done and interesting.

If you haven't caught Pitt yet this year, it's quite an interesting offense that Canada runs. It's practically an option offense. Lots of motion and prominent use of the jet sweep. He's called quite a few shovel passes as well which I did not recognize were option plays but it makes a lot of sense when you check out the breakdown.

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/film-st...r-offense/

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-...ard-drive/
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 02:39 PM by ecuacc4ever.)
10-04-2016 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Pitt Offense X's & O's
Just as long as were not talking about the Pitt defense. Sheesh, they are bad.
10-04-2016 09:19 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(10-04-2016 08:22 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  Here are two links I found to some breakdowns of Pitt's offense under first year (for Pitt) OC Matt Canada. I thought they were really well done and interesting.

If you haven't caught Pitt yet this year, it's quite an interesting offense that Canada runs. It's practically an option offense. Lots of motion and prominent use of the jet sweep. He's called quite a few shovel passes as well which I did not recognize were option plays but it makes a lot of sense when you check out the breakdown.

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/film-st...r-offense/

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-...ard-drive/

Saw enough of it in Raleigh the last few seasons.

I'll let Lumber have at that one...

Carolina elected to make PITT beat them with the Jet b/c they were not gonna let James Conner beat 'em. Worked, too.

PITT, when I saw them live in Durham last year, ran a better, straight-ahead offense (even in the absence of Conner) -- but that's just me.
10-05-2016 09:39 AM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

Jim Chaney's offense at Pitt was much more conventional and I appreciated a lot about what he did as well but I am a fan of what Canada is doing. There's something really pleasing about it to me as well. Admittedly, I'm a fan of option football which I see as being of a similar ilk. They call soccer the beautiful game and I think that's a good description of this offense when it's clicking as well.

I've got two fears about this offense:

1. Pitt can't go vertical. Very few passes to WRs. Sometimes we are running on 3rd and passing situations, which is frustrating.
2. It works like gangbusters in the first half and seems to get worse as the game goes on. That's the exact opposite of what you would expect from a potent ground attack. I don't quite have this figured out although I suspect all the motion becomes more predictable as the game goes on and causes less surprise.
10-05-2016 02:15 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(10-05-2016 02:15 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  Jim Chaney's offense at Pitt was much more conventional and I appreciated a lot about what he did as well but I am a fan of what Canada is doing. There's something really pleasing about it to me as well. Admittedly, I'm a fan of option football which I see as being of a similar ilk. They call soccer the beautiful game and I think that's a good description of this offense when it's clicking as well.

I've got two fears about this offense:

1. Pitt can't go vertical. Very few passes to WRs. Sometimes we are running on 3rd and passing situations, which is frustrating.
2. It works like gangbusters in the first half and seems to get worse as the game goes on. That's the exact opposite of what you would expect from a potent ground attack. I don't quite have this figured out although I suspect all the motion becomes more predictable as the game goes on and causes less surprise.

1. That's what I'm referring to. PITT did that well last season.

2. That summarizes the frustrations of likely every NC State fan on this board, and it's exactly what happened to you guys in Chapel Hill.
10-05-2016 02:39 PM
Advertisement

uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Pitt Offense X's & O's (re: Matt Canada)
I was honestly shocked Narduzzi hired Canada, after what NC State fans were saying about him. Interesting choice.
10-05-2016 02:52 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
IMO Canada has the same problem in Pitt this year he had while at NC State.....he doesn't have a bell cow receiver that can make the defense pay when they focus on the run. IMO if Henderson were just 2-3" taller he could possibly be that but his height is a limiting factor in how you can use him. Probably the only people who would have liked to see Tyler Boyd in this offense more than me are the Pitt fans but I believe he would have made a huge difference.

I hope that Pitt can get Canada the tools he needs. I really liked his system at both Northern Illinois and Wisconsin.
10-05-2016 06:07 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

Good point there Kap - Pitt doesn't really have a WR threat to go deep. Henderson appears to be playing a different role so we really need somebody else to step up and be the deep threat while Henderson keeps the pressure on as the potential runner on jet sweeps.

I think a good vertical threat could make this offense deadly because there's just so much to defend. Play action would be deadly. I'm a bit afraid we won't have that deep threat, however, with this line. It's the classic scenario - when one thing is there, you need something else. When you get it, you need the first part again. Like my golf game.
10-05-2016 08:14 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-05-2016 08:14 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  Good point there Kap - Pitt doesn't really have a WR threat to go deep. Henderson appears to be playing a different role so we really need somebody else to step up and be the deep threat while Henderson keeps the pressure on as the potential runner on jet sweeps.

I think a good vertical threat could make this offense deadly because there's just so much to defend. Play action would be deadly. I'm a bit afraid we won't have that deep threat, however, with this line. It's the classic scenario - when one thing is there, you need something else. When you get it, you need the first part again. Like my golf game.

Yeah, just the threat of someone who can take the top off the defense would open up so much more on the offense. Can't stack the box for the run if you have to use the S to give the CB some deep help.

The problem he had at NC State is the fact that other than Samuels at TE they didn't have anybody that scared opposing defenses in the passing game so teams could play the receivers straight up. Just one threat could have changed that.
10-05-2016 08:59 PM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
Weah has the potential to become that threat, but he is still a work in progress.
10-06-2016 12:49 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-06-2016 12:49 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Weah has the potential to become that threat, but he is still a work in progress.

If not the receiver commit y'all have out of PA intrigues me. Granted it's highlight films so it only shows the good but the one I watched for him he seems to outrun defenders on a regular basis.
10-06-2016 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.