Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston to Big 12 ?
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Houston to Big 12 ?
Cougar Football Feed
‏@UHFootballFeed
From a special called, closed door meeting of the UH Board of Regents on Monday, Oct 3. Next scheduled board meeting is Dec 1. #GoCoogs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ct6aKWrVMAAztzF.jpg:large
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 08:40 AM by MinerInWisconsin.)
10-04-2016 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tech Savy Offline
Banned

I Root For: JOSH PASTNER
RE: Houston to Big 12 ?
My guess is this has to do with Herman and another contract extension/raise...07-coffee3
10-04-2016 08:46 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(10-04-2016 08:39 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Cougar Football Feed
‏@UHFootballFeed
From a special called, closed door meeting of the UH Board of Regents on Monday, Oct 3. Next scheduled board meeting is Dec 1. #GoCoogs

Or could be an effort to keep herman from leaving.
10-04-2016 08:47 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2016 08:47 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  
‏@UHFootballFeed

Or could be an effort to keep herman from leaving.

I've not heard of delegating authority in individual contract negotiations before but it is very common to see that when considering a change in conference affiliation.
10-04-2016 08:49 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
This isn't for a coach's contract. This is for oversight of an entire athletic department.

At the very least, this could be something with the AAC. I suspect, though, this is about the Big XII. May not be the invitation, but the "final round" of negotiations where things get very hot and heavy with details.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 09:35 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
10-04-2016 09:05 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
So the Big 12 lied when they said they were unsure of expansion and instead sent out an invite to Houston 2 or 3 days later after stating they may not expand.
10-04-2016 09:08 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-04-2016 09:08 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  So the Big 12 lied when they said they were unsure of expansion and instead sent out an invite to Houston 2 or 3 days later after stating they may not expand.

The Big 12 never stated they may not expand, certainly not as concretely portrayed in the media. Three weeks ago, when asked the status of Big 12 expansion, Boren was non-committal, saying expansion was not a given, nor was not expanding.

Two weeks later, Stewart Mandel said that "sources around the league" had interpreted that statement to mean Boren had reversed his stance on expansion. Other media outlets picked up on that and immediately turned it into "expansion is dead" again.

Later that day, Boren released a statement saying the media reports were untrue, and again made a non-committal statement.

The Big 12 guys are not going to say anything definite. either way, but I continue to believe they will expand by at least 2, and probably 4. Who the hell knows when they will get around to it? But hopefully, they will lend some clarity to it after the Oct. 17 board meeting of all 10 B12 presidents.

Is this statement from the UH board a hint? I don't know. Maybe. I don't think that would be necessary for renegotiating a coach's contract.
10-04-2016 09:24 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
We've seen these closed door BOD meetings before.

We all know what that means. It means an invitation to another conference is pending.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
10-04-2016 09:29 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
If the Big 12 invites Houston to become a member institution, it will have made the correct decision.
10-04-2016 09:32 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2016 09:29 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  We've seen these closed door BOD meetings before.

We all know what that means. It means an invitation to another conference is pending.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

I believe that is correct. When the C-USA schools were invited to the Big East/AAC there were a number of schools listing these delegations of authority as a sign that they were about to change conferences. In some cases, as when UTEP was getting ready for the "merger" between C-USA and the MWC, UTEP asked for and received authority to change conferences. In that case it did not work out but they felt strongly enough that it would happen that they went after that authority. In the case of Houston, it likely means they believe strongly that it will happen and they had better be ready to make a decision without having to go after the authority at the last minute.
10-04-2016 09:53 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Hermans contract was renegotiated last year. Here is the wording used last year to request authority from the BOR to renegotiate Hermans contract.

"Approval is requested to delegate authority to the Chancellor to negotiate and execute an amendment to the contract of the Head Football Coach at the University of Houston pursuant to Board Policy 57.10."

The wording for the current request is completely different. It might be that the unusual wording of the current request is an effort to remain compliant with the Big12 non disclosure agreement.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 10:07 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2016 09:57 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Miner,

Sounds correct to me. Dotting the I's and crossing the T's, before the big day.
10-04-2016 10:00 AM
Heisman

(10-04-2016 09:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Hermans contract was renegotiated last year. Here is the wording used last year to request authority from the BOR to renegotiate Hermans contract.

"Approval is requested to delegate authority to the Chancellor to negotiate and execute an amendment to the contract of the Head Football Coach at the University of Houston pursuant to Board Policy 57.10."

I think the odd wording of the current request could be construed as an effort to remain compliant with the non disclosure agreement.

This brings in the Chancellor and Board Chair, however. This is adding a whole new level.

If they are, though...he isn't getting just a coaching contract. This is the kind of stuff where there's some double-dipping. He's a coach AND an administrator or faculty member. Or, rather, he collects from multiple pots, and a president would have to ultimately approve that, with Board support.
10-04-2016 10:07 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Bish,

No way that would happen. Just to keep a football coach??? Is it really that critical to the livelihood of the U of Houston, that Herman must be kept there at all costs?? They let Briles go, and Sumlin go.

Faculty would riot if Herman was allowed to receive some kind of unprecedented compensation by way of a dual appointment/dual salary.
10-04-2016 10:17 AM
Heisman

(10-04-2016 10:17 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Bish,

No way that would happen. Just to keep a football coach??? Is it really that critical to the livelihood of the U of Houston, that Herman must be kept there at all costs?? They let Briles go, and Sumlin go.

Faculty would riot if Herman was allowed to receive some kind of unprecedented compensation by way of a dual appointment/dual salary.

It doesn't have to be something as formal as that. It could be money from an additional funding source requiring Board approval.

The double-dipping is common, actually. It happens a lot in D3 (usually faculty or administrator also filling this other role, though). Penn State used to do this. Paterno was a coach, a faculty member, then became AD...got tenure for one of those roles, and was getting paid from multiple sources. Ex-President Spanier is STILL a tenured PSU faculty member as far it stands.
10-04-2016 10:33 AM
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
I assume this special meeting will grant the athletic director the authority to make decisions regarding conference membership and grant him the power to pay up to a certain amount to leave the AAC. This is probably preemptive to ensure that they will be ready if an invite actually comes.
10-04-2016 10:56 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
‏@UHFootballFeed

It could be any number of things. But Gee sure had a big smile when he was posing with Khator the other day. And Khator in her twitter posted a puff piece from Forbes about UH being in the "Big 12 of energy." Khator is on her way to Austin this morning for budget meetings.

All could mean nothing. Or there could be very subtle hints.
10-04-2016 11:05 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
One thing I believe, IF Houston gets an invite, I don't think there is any way it will be one of 2 adds, b/c the non-Texas schools won't allow a fifth Texas school in a 12-school conference. JMO.

To me, that is an indication that the Big 12 plans to go to 14, which I have believed all along.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 11:40 AM by TripleA.)
10-04-2016 11:39 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think a PAC 20 is more likely for Houston than a big 12 now... PAC 12 adds 6-7 big 12 schools plus Houston with wvu, uconn and tcu going to the acc to get at least 8 big 12 votes to disband+ markets for accn
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 11:41 AM by bluesox.)
10-04-2016 11:40 AM
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
UC has a Board of Directors meeting on October 18th. Vote on the 17th and sign off on the 18th?
10-04-2016 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.