Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas Expected to Dismiss Strong After Season
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Texas Expected to Dismiss Strong After Season
http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-strong...50332.html

If Texas moves on from Strong, Herman becomes their top target. If they get Herman, it would severely hurt Houston's current candidacy of a Big 12 invitation, IMO. Why invite an entire school into a conference when you can just poach their best asset and steal their recent string of success?

Having said that, I have no idea if Herman ends up leaving Houston after this season. However, if it becomes clear that a P5 invite isn't near (and a substantial bump in contract pay), he probably leans towards leaving - especially if its Texas.
10-03-2016 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jarmzet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
RE: Texas Expected to Dismiss Strong After Season
I don't know why any good coach would want to coach at UT. Those fans are horrible.
10-03-2016 08:18 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Mistake. Strong is a good coach, though his defense isn't doing him any favors.
10-03-2016 08:31 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I'd take Strong at Cincinnati in a heartbeat... Not going to happen, but still...
10-03-2016 08:40 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(10-03-2016 08:31 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Mistake. Strong is a good coach, though his defense isn't doing him any favors.

Mistake my behind, they look as awful as when he took over, if not more so.
10-03-2016 08:45 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-03-2016 08:13 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-strong...50332.html

If Texas moves on from Strong, Herman becomes their top target. If they get Herman, it would severely hurt Houston's current candidacy of a Big 12 invitation, IMO. Why invite an entire school into a conference when you can just poach their best asset and steal their recent string of success?

Having said that, I have no idea if Herman ends up leaving Houston after this season. However, if it becomes clear that a P5 invite isn't near (and a substantial bump in contract pay), he probably leans towards leaving - especially if its Texas.

I don't think Texas targeting Herman will have any effect on Houston's Big 12 candidacy, either way. If Texas is truly pushing for Houston (not sure), then whether they target Herman or not, shouldn't matter.
10-03-2016 08:46 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(10-03-2016 08:18 AM)jarmzet Wrote:  I don't know why any good coach would want to coach at UT. Those fans are horrible.

If Les Miles had the record he had at LSU as a UT head coach, he'd still be there and his seat wouldn't even be that warm.

UT is a whole lot more stable of a coaching position than other top level destinations.

UTs fans might be horrible. But that's not the whole story.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:47 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-03-2016 08:47 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-03-2016 08:13 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-strong...50332.html

No one ever accused the Big12 of being intelligent, but I do not think they are dumb enough to let a coach determine their expansion decisions.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:50 AM by SMUmustangs.)
10-03-2016 08:50 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
The thing is, Houston's candidacy likely gets decided 2 weeks from tomorrow. That would be way before Texas could poach Herman.
10-03-2016 08:51 AM
Tech Savy Offline
Banned

I Root For: JOSH PASTNER
(10-03-2016 08:40 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'd take Strong at Cincinnati in a heartbeat... Not going to happen, but still...

That would be a great hire. You have to dump Tubby first though...07-coffee3
10-03-2016 09:15 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
If only Florida had fired Muschamp after he went 4-8 in 2013. That way Strong goes to Florida and this topic doesn't exist.
10-03-2016 09:25 AM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis

Quick question GW, I used to scan holylandofhoops at times and I was wondering if the hate towards the AAC is still at level 10. Have they realized that we are football centric in thinking and really have no animosity towards you guys. We tend to worry more about the mwc and the ACC and big12. Just wondering no troll intended
10-03-2016 09:39 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
With Greg Ward a senior it probably makes sense for Tom Herman to cash in after this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
10-03-2016 09:42 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(10-03-2016 09:39 AM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  

Quick question GW, I used to scan holylandofhoops at times and I was wondering if the hate towards the AAC is still at level 10. Have they realized that we are football centric in thinking and really have no animosity towards you guys. We tend to worry more about the mwc and the ACC and big12. Just wondering no troll intended

No worries at all TigerSmoke. I would say that enough time has passed where the issue/topic is no longer relevant. Obviously, when the split did occur, there were a lot of emotions, tension and bitterness on both sides, but - now entering year four since the split - I think both sides can now move on and focus on more important issues.

We have a good group of guys over there, if anyone is ever interested in talking BE hoops. Stever keeps us honest! 04-cheers
10-03-2016 09:49 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Why wait?

Strong is a good man but the program has been stagnant under his tenure. I guess one could make the argument that he stopped the bleeding but that just isn't good enough.
10-03-2016 09:51 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF

Should have no effect on Houston's candidacy. Houston also has a trend of being competitive in football and producing coaches; Briles, and Sumlin were previous coaches at Houston.
10-03-2016 10:31 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(10-03-2016 10:31 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  

Should have no effect on Houston's candidacy. Houston also has a trend of being competitive in football and producing coaches; Briles, and Sumlin were previous coaches at Houston.

This

I don't think it hurts their candidacy.

The Big12 is looking at the program, not their coach.
10-03-2016 10:32 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If you are going to fire Strong, you may as well do it right away. If for no other reason than because UT and LSU are likely to be swimming in the same applicant pool for replacements, and you don't want LSU to have a leg up with candidates' agents.
10-03-2016 11:10 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
GW,

I get what you're saying -- but using your same logic, why not instead go after Patterson, or if the Baylor thing hadn't happened Briles??

The argument would be that both have (had) achieved a lot of success at a bigger school, already in the conference.

I also think this would not affect Houston's candidacy. If anything, it would further legitimize Houston's program as being a place where a top level coach can develop and prove himself.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 11:24 AM by MplsBison.)
10-03-2016 11:22 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(10-03-2016 09:42 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  With Greg Ward a senior it probably makes sense for Tom Herman to cash in after this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

Herman has the top QB recruit in the nation for the 2014 class behind Ward (A&M transfer Kyle Allen). Current back-up Kyle Postma also returns. D'Eric King, a Ward clone will be on the roster (currently playing receiver---much like Ward did) and another high quality QB recruit---Bowman Sells is also in the mix. There is no "rebuilding" necessary due to Hermans excellent recruiting. The shelves are well stocked at QB and Herman is set up to to reload.

That said, while LSU was a great job---I wasnt as concerned wit it because I dont think its the job Herman has his eye on. Thats why the Texas job opening up would be trouble for UH in my opinion. I think that IS the perfect fit for Herman. It will come down to whether he is happy where he is earning great money with little pressure--or if he aspires to a top job like Texas. I think he probably takes the UT job if its offered (that slot might not open up again for a long time)---but not because he needs to get out of Houston before the roof falls in. It will be because it is the perfect high level "fit" for Herman and his Texas based recruiting network.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 11:45 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-03-2016 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.