Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Two Injuries and Their Impact
Bookmark and Share
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
Two Injuries and Their Impact
The injuries to Moore and Gantz have lead to the mess we are in. In both cases it is not that we lost games - but the insights we now have into the mentality of the staff.

Let's start with Gantz. Hey - the guy is hurt and his replacement is not ready for prime time - something obvious to anyone who has watched our games. Yet - Saturday night with the last fleeting hopes on the line the kid is asked to kick a ~48 yard FG.. What I do not remember is what the 4th yard yardage was - but I think it was like 3 or 4. The resulting miss ended any hope that Gunner could have sparked a comeback - but a TD on that drive could have changed everything. What mentality - what mentality - made that decision? It defies reason.

Then there is the Moore injury. With Moore we were competitive. When he went out a replacement decision was necessary. What we were told was that Trail was ahead of Gunner in his knowledge of the offense and best qualified to take over. Does anyone believe that? What mentality - what mentality - made that decision?

I suspect we would have lost both games as the better teams seem to always find a way to win.

So - the two injuries have opened a Pandora's box of questions. What appear to be horrible decisions resulted. I do not know where this goes - but CTT is on the brink of losing the fans. I wonder what the players think?

The UCOnn game will be interesting. I am sure UConn sees UC as a great opportunity for a win and will be motivated.

I do not expect anything publicly to happen. My hope is that Bohn gets CTT and Gunner in a closed room and does not let them out until they work out whatever issue that is wrecking this season. If they cannot work it out - Gunner should be off the team as his presence on the bench will cause a lot of noise from whatever few fans are in the stands.

Cross roads time. I am looking at Bohn as much as CTT. I only wish Ono was still around to provide some adult supervision.

10-03-2016 05:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Two Injuries and Their Impact
Tubby is on the brink of losing the fans? That ship sailed.

Players too, from what many of their families are saying.

10-03-2016 06:20 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-03-2016 05:52 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  The injuries to Moore and Gantz have lead to the mess we are in. In both cases it is not that we lost games - but the insights we now have into the mentality of the staff.

Let's start with Gantz. Hey - the guy is hurt and his replacement is not ready for prime time - something obvious to anyone who has watched our games. Yet - Saturday night with the last fleeting hopes on the line the kid is asked to kick a ~48 yard FG.. What I do not remember is what the 4th yard yardage was - but I think it was like 3 or 4. The resulting miss ended any hope that Gunner could have sparked a comeback - but a TD on that drive could have changed everything. What mentality - what mentality - made that decision? It defies reason.

Then there is the Moore injury. With Moore we were competitive. When he went out a replacement decision was necessary. What we were told was that Trail was ahead of Gunner in his knowledge of the offense and best qualified to take over. Does anyone believe that? What mentality - what mentality - made that decision?

I suspect we would have lost both games as the better teams seem to always find a way to win.

So - the two injuries have opened a Pandora's box of questions. What appear to be horrible decisions resulted. I do not know where this goes - but CTT is on the brink of losing the fans. I wonder what the players think?

The UCOnn game will be interesting. I am sure UConn sees UC as a great opportunity for a win and will be motivated.

I do not expect anything publicly to happen. My hope is that Bohn gets CTT and Gunner in a closed room and does not let them out until they work out whatever issue that is wrecking this season. If they cannot work it out - Gunner should be off the team as his presence on the bench will cause a lot of noise from whatever few fans are in the stands.

Cross roads time. I am looking at Bohn as much as CTT. I only wish Ono was still around to provide some adult supervision.

I know attacking Ono is sacreligious to many, but a lot of blame had to be laid at his feet. He approved Babcock's decision to his Tubs after no interview process. He hired Bohn. He extended Tuberville's contract this spring.

However all of that is behind us and there is nothing we can do about it. It is time for the BOT to intervene.

10-03-2016 06:42 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(10-03-2016 06:20 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Tubby is on the brink of losing the fans? That ship sailed.

Time for TT to duck out the back door before the check arrives.

10-03-2016 07:24 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(10-03-2016 06:20 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Tubby is on the brink of losing the fans? That ship sailed.

Sources please.

10-03-2016 07:58 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Quote:Let's start with Gantz. Hey - the guy is hurt and his replacement is not ready for prime time - something obvious to anyone who has watched our games. Yet - Saturday night with the last fleeting hopes on the line the kid is asked to kick a ~48 yard FG.. What I do not remember is what the 4th yard yardage was - but I think it was like 3 or 4. The resulting miss ended any hope that Gunner could have sparked a comeback - but a TD on that drive could have changed everything. What mentality - what mentality - made that decision? It defies reason.

I think it was 5 or 6, unfortunately Kiel threw behind the receiver on the crossing pattern on 3rd down. If he hits him in stride we are sitting 1st and 10.

Quote:He approved Babcock's decision to his Tubs after no interview process.

Everyone was thrilled with the hire at the time. 20/20 is nice but if each of us had been AD we would have pulled the trigger on TT. Someone had previously posted even if interviews were held TT says the right things.

Quote:Players too, from what many of their families are saying.

I don't doubt this but what is the source. I haven't seen or heard anything.

This season is reminding me very much of what USF did in Skip Holtz's last season.

10-03-2016 08:02 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-03-2016 06:42 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 05:52 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  The injuries to Moore and Gantz have lead to the mess we are in. In both cases it is not that we lost games - but the insights we now have into the mentality of the staff.

I know attacking Ono is sacreligious to many, but a lot of blame had to be laid at his feet. He approved Babcock's decision to his Tubs after no interview process. He hired Bohn. He extended Tuberville's contract this spring.

However all of that is behind us and there is nothing we can do about it. It is time for the BOT to intervene.

Bolded, I think this is absolutely fair and accurate. Ono used social media to fuel a Big 12 narrative creating an expectation that he's not around to fulfill--and may not be fulfilled. He hired Bohn. What measurable success can we attribute to this athletic director?

I've never experienced anything like Saturday night at Nippert. The collective change in attitude of our fans was palpable. In my mind, Tuberville is finished here. It might happen now or in a few weeks but if reports of a lower buyout at season end are correct, UC will save a half million dollars and let the funeral dirge play for the remainder of the season. It's a sad state of affairs for all.

10-03-2016 08:08 AM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
(10-03-2016 08:08 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 06:42 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Bolded, I think this is absolutely fair and accurate. Ono used social media to fuel a Big 12 narrative creating an expectation that he's not around to fulfill--and may not be fulfilled. He hired Bohn. What measurable success can we attribute to this athletic director?

I've never experienced anything like Saturday night at Nippert. The collective change in attitude of our fans was palpable. In my mind, Tuberville is finished here. It might happen now or in a few weeks but if reports of a lower buyout at season end are correct, UC will save a half million dollars and let the funeral dirge play for the remainder of the season. It's a sad state of affairs for all.

He should do the right thing and resign - or announce his retirement effective at the end of the season. A loss at UConn will empty the stands - except for tickets already sold and perhaps homecoming.

I still think Bohn needs to get CTT and Kiel in a room and not let them out until CTTs ***** is resolved or Kiel is off the team. More Trail turnovers - while he supposedly is more knowledgeable on the O is really unfair to the kid. He is being placed in an impossible situation.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:18 AM by Bcatbog.)
10-03-2016 08:18 AM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(10-03-2016 06:42 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I know attacking Ono is sacreligious to many, but a lot of blame had to be laid at his feet. He approved Babcock's decision to his Tubs after no interview process. He hired Bohn. He extended Tuberville's contract this spring.

If Ono is faulted for anything, it is this. The Tubs extension was deflating. i know Bohn didn't hire Tubs, but by virtue of that extension i think he married his fortunes to him. As Tubs goes, so goes Bohn.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:23 AM by eroc.)
10-03-2016 08:21 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
The tubs extension was meaningless. Buyout is still in place and reasonable. Couldn't have him as complete lameduck this year. I'd have been fine if they replaced him last year but if they were giving him another year the extension was needed even if it is just for recruiting perception

10-03-2016 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(10-03-2016 07:58 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Sources please.

You think it wise to divulge that information on a public forum?

10-03-2016 08:27 AM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I felt this way since the UT-Martin game at the start of the season that getting stable QB play and place kicking will go along way to having a year we can be proud of and build on. The Purdue game was the only game where UC got both and it showed, UC dominated a lesser team. Every other week UC has had a liability at either QB or PK, in most case it has been both. The Gunner Kiel of pre-injury 2014 or the good version of Hayden Moore can leads this team to a 9 win season, even average QB play gets the Cats to 8-4 assuming the Gantz returns for most of the season.

Other than specific packages or in emergency duty, Ross Trail has no business being the QB this year for the team. If Moore can't go against UConn, Kiel starts and Trail can come in for specific plays that are safe if the situation calls for it.

The two second half meltdowns have come against the two teams that will be fighting for a New Years Six bowl game. The rest of the schedule is a mix of solid teams (BYU, Memphis, Temple) and really flawed teams (everyone else). Good play at the QB position and PK with continued improvement out of the defense will lead to 8-4 or 9-3 season and a potential bowl win against mid-level team. If the issues continue 5-7 to 7-5 is the result.

10-03-2016 08:32 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Nah Babah Nah.

10-03-2016 08:33 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2016 08:26 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  The tubs extension was meaningless. Buyout is still in place and reasonable. Couldn't have him as complete lameduck this year. I'd have been fine if they replaced him last year but if they were giving him another year the extension was needed even if it is just for recruiting perception

Does anyone know if the extension came with a revision in the buyout? If I recall we were set to only owe him $550K at the end of this season ($0 after January 1) in a draft of the original contract I previously saw? Did the dates get pushed back with the extension?

10-03-2016 08:33 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Is be surprised if the dates did not get pushed back.

If that was the case, only way Tubby signs it is if he knew he was on thin ice.

10-03-2016 08:39 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2016 08:39 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Is be surprised if the dates did not get pushed back.

If that was the case, only way Tubby signs it is if he knew he was on thin ice.

That is my thought as well. We are likely back to what we owed Tubs a couple years ago for a buyout (over $1M maybe even up to $2M).

10-03-2016 08:49 AM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Eh... Tuberville's not getting fired, so it's a moot question.

I almost asked in the preseason, "So what will be this year's excuse?" So now we have our answer.

10-03-2016 08:54 AM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(10-03-2016 08:26 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  The tubs extension was meaningless. Buyout is still in place and reasonable. Couldn't have him as complete lameduck this year. I'd have been fine if they replaced him last year but if they were giving him another year the extension was needed even if it is just for recruiting perception

That's my point. Bohn needed to let Tubs go or "reorganize" his role last season. The fact that he extended him, imo, bound their fortunes. That's just how i feel. Maybe the immediacy of the football team's decline is too bright a light for me to see any other good that Bohn has done as AD.

10-03-2016 09:05 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(10-03-2016 08:21 AM)eroc Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 06:42 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I know attacking Ono is sacreligious to many, but a lot of blame had to be laid at his feet. He approved Babcock's decision to his Tubs after no interview process. He hired Bohn. He extended Tuberville's contract this spring.

If Ono is faulted for anything, it is this. The Tubs extension was deflating. i know Bohn didn't hire Tubs, but by virtue of that extension i think he married his fortunes to him. As Tubs goes, so goes Bohn.

What would an in-person interview tell you about Tubberville that a phone interview didn't?

10-03-2016 10:02 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
That they were actually serious about looking for the right candidate? Same thing looking at anyone else rather than calling to offer one guy the job without , you know, even looking at anyone else. How successful candidate searches work.

Or is that not the angle you were asking about?

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 10:56 AM by rath v2.0.)
10-03-2016 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.