Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville @ Clemson a TV Ratings Boom...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Only the ND-Texas had a Higher TV Rating this year in College Football...need a League Raise ESPN....07-coffee3

Louisville/Clemson scored a 6.0 overnight rating on the latest edition of ABC’s Saturday Night Football, up 25% from Notre Dame/Clemson last year (4.8), up 114% from Notre Dame/Syracuse in 2014 (2.8), and the second-highest college football overnight of the season.

The Tigers’ win trails only Notre Dame/Texas on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend (7.0).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/10/...-football/
10-02-2016 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Louisville @ Clemson a TV Ratings Boom...
Wow!
10-02-2016 02:37 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
Those kind of TV numbers on an ACC conference game not involving FSU would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Wow.
10-03-2016 09:09 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Clemson fans can complain about the pregame hype but they can't complain about the results. If you want to make $$$ off of the ACCN this is what the ACC needs.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 09:22 AM by Lenvillecards.)
10-03-2016 09:19 AM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
(10-03-2016 09:19 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Clemson fans can complain about the pregame hype but they can't complain about the results. If you want to make $$$ off of the ACCN this is what the ACC needs.

Not sure I understand. The pregame hype was great.
10-03-2016 09:51 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-03-2016 09:19 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Clemson fans can complain about the pregame hype but they can't complain about the results. If you want to make $$$ off of the ACCN this is what the ACC needs.

Correction...just one so-called Clemson fan...most that been on our boards are very good...
10-03-2016 09:51 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-03-2016 09:09 AM)Lou_C Wrote:  Those kind of TV numbers on an ACC conference game not involving FSU would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Wow.
Yep. Didn't even have Notre Dame in it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2016 09:51 AM)Maize Wrote:  

Correction...just one so-called Clemson fan...most that been on our boards are very good...

Thanks for the correction. I should have put pretend in front of the word Clemson.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 11:29 AM by Lenvillecards.)
10-03-2016 10:46 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
There are some who (cynically) attribute the pregame hype to the new ACCN deal. Personally, I think it's just because you had two great teams with two Heisman worthy quarterbacks. What college football fan wouldn't want to watch that?

Many of us have said simply that if we win, we'll get the respect. Well, now we're winning.
10-03-2016 12:11 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
And as a reward for once again drawing big ratings Clemson gets a bush league Friday night game followed by a noon start.
10-03-2016 06:06 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-03-2016 06:06 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  And as a reward for once again drawing big ratings Clemson gets a bush league Friday night game followed by a noon start.

03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

07-coffee3
10-03-2016 06:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Our next Home Game is a Friday Night...those are actually our Hottest Crowds...the Heat in The Oven is on Full Blast...
10-03-2016 06:15 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-03-2016 06:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  Our next Home Game is a Friday Night...those are actually our Hottest Crowds...the Heat in The Oven is on Full Blast...

Friday is the new Thursday...the nice thing is you have a Saturday in the middle of FB season to do something other than FB if you need.
10-03-2016 08:23 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(10-03-2016 06:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  Our next Home Game is a Friday Night...those are actually our Hottest Crowds...the Heat in The Oven is on Full Blast...

I love Friday night games. By far the best crowds we have (with one qualifier -- since we basically get Saturday night games whenever Haley's Comet comes by). But the bonus for Friday night games is the ability to watch all the games on Saturday too.
10-03-2016 08:35 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-03-2016 08:23 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Friday is the new Thursday...the nice thing is you have a Saturday in the middle of FB season to do something other than FB if you need.

The NFL has taken over Thursday Night...
10-03-2016 08:47 PM
Kaplony Offline

Friday night is high school football in the south, and exactly what kind of crowd are we going to see with the game kicking off about the time that the Red Sox game should be wrapping up?

Friday night games are a bush league attempt to get attention that was pioneered by two football leagues that do not exist anymore....the Big East and the WAC. They are absolute garbage for exposure because there hasn't been an ESPN Friday night game that has surpassed 0.9 in the ratings this year, and the past few seasons have shown that maybe 1-2 per season will do it prior to the Rivalry Week games on Black Friday.

So let's review:

1. They do not provide any real exposure because people actually have to watch for that to happen.
2. It hurts recruiting because not only can you not host official visits because the players that matter are playing, these players can't even watch.
3. If Friday night games are so great then why isn't everybody playing on Friday night?

It really gets tiresome with how all of you Big East refugees have such a horrible case of what appears to be Stockholm Syndrome in regards to ESPN. Just because your old league had zero bargaining leverage and had to accept whatever kind of crap sandwich ESPN wanted to shove down your throats it doesn't mean your new one does as well.
10-03-2016 09:19 PM
Advertisement

ClemVegas Offline
Banned

Having a prime time slot on any night is a good thing, and probably will get more eyes on the game than a noon or 3 pm slot on Saturday.
10-03-2016 09:27 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-03-2016 09:27 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  Having a prime time slot on any night is a good thing, and probably will get more eyes on the game than a noon or 3 pm slot on Saturday.

The historical ratings of Friday night games do not bear that out.

And even if it breaks even (it doesn't BTW) there's still the negative recruiting effect it has.
10-03-2016 09:30 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

most Friday night games don't feature a national title contender. there was never going to be much itnrest in the game given BC isn't ranked. it is hard to believe more people would not see this game than if it was one of many games on during Saturday and going up against much better matchups.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 09:33 PM by ClemVegas.)
10-03-2016 09:31 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-03-2016 09:31 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  most Friday night games don't feature a national title contender. there was never going to be much itnrest in the game given BC isn't ranked. it is hard to believe more people would not see this game than if it was one of many games on during Saturday and going up against much better matchups.

As stated before Friday night is high school football night for the majority of the country so a significant portion of your target audience, sports fans, aren't going to be home.

With the game this week you also have not only the ending of game 2 of the ALDS (that involved the biggest sports draw in BC's home market) you will also have game 1 of both NLDS series which involve teams from the #2, #3, #7, and either the #1 or #6 (depending on who wins the NL wildcard) media markets in the country. Since this also involved the target audience, the American sports fan, this is going to be a huge drain on the audience as well.

So right off the bat your largest target audience is going to be greatly reduced, and that's not accounting for the fact that Friday night i a huge night for people to go eat out, go clubbing, go to movies, etc.
10-03-2016 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.