Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boren says media reports about OU opposing expansion are false
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Jake Trotter @Jake_Trotter
Statement from Oklahoma president David Boren in response to reports he “is now opposed to Big 12 expansion.”
5:14 PM - 27 Sep 2016

Boren: "I do not know where the speculation came from, but Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion."

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/...wsrc%5Etfw
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 04:56 PM by TripleA.)
09-27-2016 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
RE: Boren says media reports about OU opposing expansion are false
Actually, I thought they were the big dog of the conference most pro-expansion or at least most interested in doing a full due diligence on who's available, what combinations project to what value increases, etc.
09-27-2016 05:01 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 05:01 PM)brista21 Wrote:  Actually, I thought they were the big dog of the conference most pro-expansion or at least most interested in doing a full due diligence on who's available, what combinations project to what value increases, etc.

They still are, until Boren says otherwise, publicly, I would guess.

The report was silly, anyway. SI's Stewart Mandel published an article this morning saying that, based on Boren's recent comments, "sources around the league" took it as Boren now reversing his position on expansion.

Within a few minutes, Twitter blew up saying expansion was dead.

The statement Mandel used was from 2 weeks ago, when Boren said, "I'm not saying there will be expansion, and not saying there won't."

That was it. Media just needs to STFU until the Big 12 actually announces something, one way or the other, b/c a number of them have already said that Big 12 presidents aren't talking to the media.
09-27-2016 05:15 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Well but then Carlson (DMN) backed it up, with sources saying Oklahoma is negative on expansion.

He must be pissed.
09-27-2016 05:19 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Is the B12 going to make an announcement this calendar year? If not, then Boren should just STFU about expansion until the season ends. There's no need to keep trying to jump it back up into the media cycle.
09-27-2016 05:22 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-27-2016 04:55 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Jake Trotter @Jake_Trotter
Statement from Oklahoma president David Boren in response to reports he “is now opposed to Big 12 expansion.”

Boren: "I do not know where the speculation came from, but Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion."

The media has polled the OU board and a majority of the board are against expansion. Reports are available.
09-27-2016 05:26 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Always keep in mind: the media's ultimate goal is to keep you clicking, keep you tuned in. That's their business. Don't take it personal.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 05:28 PM by MplsBison.)
09-27-2016 05:28 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(09-27-2016 05:01 PM)brista21 Wrote:  Actually, I thought they were the big dog of the conference most pro-expansion or at least most interested in doing a full due diligence on who's available, what combinations project to what value increases, etc.

no they are the ones with a confused, tired, washed up, loud mouthed, old political fart that still thinks he is campaigning to idiots that can't remember past last week and that have no internets in their single wide to fact check his stupidity
09-27-2016 05:40 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 05:22 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Is the B12 going to make an announcement this calendar year? If not, then Boren should just STFU about expansion until the season ends. There's no need to keep trying to jump it back up into the media cycle.

He's not the one who did it, and rarely if ever is. Mandel took a nebulous comment Boren made 2 weeks ago, in response to a direct question:

Q: Are you expanding?

A: I'm not going to say either way. Maybe, maybe not.

Mandel then said "sources around the league" interpreted that as OU being opposed to expansion, and pretty soon, other media guys were reporting expansion is dead. All in a matter of a couple of hours.

That's on the media, not on Boren. But I do agree he just should say "no comment" to everything.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 05:44 PM by TripleA.)
09-27-2016 05:42 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(09-27-2016 05:15 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

The report was silly, anyway. SI's Stewart Mandel published an article this morning saying that, based on Boren's recent comments, "sources around the league" took it as Boren now reversing his position on expansion.

The statement Mandel used was from 2 weeks ago, when Boren said, "I'm not saying there will be expansion, and not saying there won't."

That was it. Media just needs to STFU until the Big 12 actually announces something, one way or the other, b/c a number of them have already said that Big 12 presidents aren't talking to the media.
Actually, the media is right to keep pressing the issue. OK has been there one stating expansion needs to happen and not have the psychological disadvantage along with B12 network. If the B12 kept quiet after the ACC announcement they wouldn't be in this mess. So they need to get it over with one way or another to be able to move on.
09-27-2016 06:44 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
It seems like they rushed into this expansion process right after the ACC Network deal was announced.

Since then, they seem to be like the dog chasing the car.

Now what to do?
09-27-2016 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

Coachspeak for there won't be expansion because we don't want to.03-shhhh
09-27-2016 07:21 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 07:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  It seems like they rushed into this expansion process right after the ACC Network deal was announced.

Now what to do?

The LAST thing they did was rush into this. They contacted a bunch of schools to vet in 2013, and have been jacking around with this in one form or another, ever since.

They had every intention of expanding WAY before the ACC network was announced. Also, they were working with ESPN, so it's not like they didn't have a clue what was up.

I do think that if there were any undecided votes, the ACCN solved that problem, but they had enough to go, anyway, afaik.

They truly just can't decide on all the details of how many schools, which ones, when, CCG details, T3 rights, GoR, etc.

Maybe they never will. Maybe they will eventually inch across the finish line, lol. Who knows?

They would be leaving up to $800M on the table if they don't expand, and isn't mo' money the whole purpose of this exercise?
09-27-2016 07:33 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 06:44 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Actually, the media is right to keep pressing the issue. OK has been there one stating expansion needs to happen and not have the psychological disadvantage along with B12 network. If the B12 kept quiet after the ACC announcement they wouldn't be in this mess. So they need to get it over with one way or another to be able to move on.

Of course the media should press. That's their job. But both parties are guilty. The Big 12 moves slower than a glacier, and has opened this up to kibitzing by the media.

My point about the media is to get the damn story right, which they rarely do. They kept saying expansion was dead, right up until the B12 voted unanimously to continue exploring expansion.

And today was really bad. SI reported that "sources around the league" took Boren's comments 2 weeks ago as verification that he had reversed his position on expansion, even though they interviewed a bunch of schools for possible slots, just 2 weeks ago.

Then other media types took that report, and immediately morphed it into "expansion is dead," to the point that Boren felt compelled to say something.
09-27-2016 07:39 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 07:21 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Coachspeak for there won't be expansion because we don't want to.03-shhhh

You want him to say, I'm pro expansion, and then the Big 12 votes against it later?

Or have him say I'm against expansion, and then they vote for it later?

Or possibly influence voters either way?

He can't win. They just need to shut up and make a dang decision, even if it's to do nothing.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 07:42 PM by TripleA.)
09-27-2016 07:41 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-27-2016 07:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  It seems like they rushed into this expansion process right after the ACC Network deal was announced.

More like a dog chasing its own tail.
09-27-2016 07:52 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

The problem is Boren has gone from gung ho leading expansion to being far more non-committal about it. Texas was always being drug along with seemingly little interest in the process. If neither OK or UT is driving the process---it would seem pretty difficult for the process to make much real headway.
09-27-2016 08:22 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

"Media just needs to STFU". Yeah, people paid to talk are going to STFU. Hahahaha!

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 08:26 PM by billybobby777.)
09-27-2016 08:26 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2016 08:26 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

"Media just needs to STFU". Yeah, people paid to talk are going to STFU. Hahahaha!

Cheers!

Yeah, I know, sounds silly. I should have typed STFU IF THEY CAN'T GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT.

They keep posting stuff that turns out to be wrong, b/c they can't get to the sources directly involved in this circus.

How's that?
09-27-2016 09:47 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
“From Day One, expanding was OK if we replaced the teams we lost with teams of equal stature,” said an OU administrator Tuesday. “They are not out there.”
09-27-2016 11:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.