Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Again, McConnell proves he's a total scum bag.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Again, McConnell proves he's a total scum bag.
Tell me exactly why we shouldn't know what a publicly traded company spends their money on a political cause. Shouldn't share holders know that?

"More than 1.2 million Americans, along with securities experts and institutional and individual investors, have pressed the SEC for a rule requiring publicly traded companies to disclose their political spending. Last year, a bipartisan group of three former SEC chairs and commissioners urged the commission to take action, noting that a rule on corporate political spending disclosure fits squarely within the primary mission of the SEC: to protect investors."

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/fi...l-spending

I would love to see someone defend this.
09-26-2016 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Again, McConnell proves he's a total scum bag.
What about unions? What about PACs? What about 401© whatever's?
09-26-2016 02:02 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Just because they're publicly traded doesn't mean that they should divulge everything to the general public.
09-26-2016 02:14 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Mach probably got up this morning and decided that he needed to be outraged over something connected to the Republicans.

I wonder if he was as outraged when Harry Reid blocked zika funding with a lie. Or when Harry told us that Mitt Romney didn't pay his taxes. Hmmm, lots of lies from good ole Harry.
09-26-2016 02:14 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Terrible. Get the money out of the shadows and into the light. Full disclosure is necessary and one party tries their damnedest to keep it in the dark. Pathetic.
09-26-2016 07:39 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(09-26-2016 01:30 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Tell me exactly why we shouldn't know what a publicly traded company spends their money on a political cause. Shouldn't share holders know that?

"More than 1.2 million Americans, along with securities experts and institutional and individual investors, have pressed the SEC for a rule requiring publicly traded companies to disclose their political spending. Last year, a bipartisan group of three former SEC chairs and commissioners urged the commission to take action, noting that a rule on corporate political spending disclosure fits squarely within the primary mission of the SEC: to protect investors."

Well, I'm waiting for someone to defend Harry Reid.
09-26-2016 07:41 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(09-26-2016 01:30 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Tell me exactly why we shouldn't know what a publicly traded company spends their money on a political cause. Shouldn't share holders know that?

Hence Trump.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
09-26-2016 07:44 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(09-26-2016 07:39 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Terrible. Get the money out of the shadows and into the light. Full disclosure is necessary and one party tries their damnedest to keep it in the dark. Pathetic.
You were onto something until "one party". They both suck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
09-26-2016 07:46 PM
BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(09-26-2016 07:39 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Terrible. Get the money out of the shadows and into the light. Full disclosure is necessary and one party tries their damnedest to keep it in the dark. Pathetic.

Clinton Foundation Refuses to Release Names of 1,076 Secret Foreign Donors

Clinton Foundation won't disclose donors for Bill Clinton's party
09-26-2016 08:38 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

What about unions? What about PACs? What about 401c-whatevers?
09-26-2016 08:51 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

THEY ALL SHOULD BE SHIWN TO THE LIGHT. IVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY CLEAR ABOUT THAT. A politician should have to wear a sponsorship jacket like NASCAR.
09-26-2016 08:54 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

Sure.

One of you enterprising interweb guys find a simple X x Y graph program or whatever it would be and help me illustrate the following:

SOS takes office in year X (Is that the horizontal axis? been a while)

Y= the caish FLOODING into the clintoon front group fund.

Has that been done before? Anyone seen that? I haven't, might be instructive.

Maybe go back to when the syndicate was first set up, where the cank was handed the sos, then how things have prospered since then.

One may imagine a spike somewhere there in the middle...
09-27-2016 12:52 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
No argument here

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
09-27-2016 06:36 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
OK, let me take up this challenge.

But first I admit that I do think that there generally should be transparency regarding political contributions. Nonetheless, I do agree with McConnell on this.

First, many corporations have submitted resolutions to their shareholders to require reporting of political contributions. I believe that I voted on several of these in my current batch of this year's proxies. And since the argument made was that shareholders have the right to know, wouldn't letting shareholders make this decision be the correct way to go. You can probably find a million people to write to the SEC asking that corporate execs wear purple ties. What would that prove.

Now here is the big point. Why is this something that Congress has to get involved with. As noted, the shareholders have the power to require reporting, so it is unnecessary for another law to be created.

And again we get the government trying to add to the already burdensome regulations of business. This one reeks of Sarbannes-Oxley, which was a knee jerk reaction to the Enron debacle, which was clearly a one off. Yet corporations have spent billions complying with Sar-Box; billions that could have been spent to expand businesses and hire new employees. As is most often the case, the unanticipated effects of government's actions are far more damaging that helpful.
09-27-2016 11:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.