Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Circle of Unity
Bookmark and Share
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Circle of Unity
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...4e36c.html

I didn't understand it when I saw it, and thought it was simply a gesture of thanks to the fans.

Now that I know what it meant, I like it even more. I hope it catches on.
09-25-2016 06:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Circle of Unity
Like it. Hope we get the win at Charlotte.
09-25-2016 09:30 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
politicizing in sport in any capacity is where the mute button gets hammered...

hell, it's why mine is almost always on mute in today's version of "broadcast television"

shite like this goes way deeper into the well that they don't have the capacity nor training to understand....

nobody will remember this no differently that they no longer care about nascar and the three fingers....

the few are trying to run the asylum.....and the last bastion within the media knows that will get attention like looking at cleavage mags standing in line at the dollar general....

my sig explains it as succinctly as possible in my head....
09-25-2016 10:10 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Sports have always been an escape from the daily trials and tribulations of life. That's the way I prefer it and why I have completely tuned out ESPN since they decided to become a social commentary channel. There are several 24 hour news channels, with varying viewpoints, if I want to tune in to that type of messaging. I don't need to get it at a stadium on the weekends.
09-25-2016 11:13 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
Just play football. I'll get my political advice from someone that knows something about politics. And that ain't college football players.
09-25-2016 11:17 PM
LouisvilleHilltopper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
Though I don't prefer politics to mix with sports, this is well done. It doesn't piss off a certain group or give a sense of disunity.

During the national anthem at WKU, a group of a dozen or so students raised their fists while wearing all black. I didn't notice it at the game, but watching the replay, CBS featured it with a (previously recorded) close-up shot and commentary from the announcers as they came back from the first commercial break after WKU's first TD. This, in my opinion, accomplishes absolutely nothing and only divides people. The fact that CBS would go out of their way to show this and not anything else related to pregame (not the team entrances, not the anthem/flags, not the band playing, nothing.) just shows that they're trying to politicize sports with their "agenda".
09-26-2016 01:08 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(09-26-2016 01:08 AM)LouisvilleHilltopper Wrote:  Though I don't prefer politics to mix with sports, this is well done. It doesn't piss off a certain group or give a sense of disunity.

During the national anthem at WKU, a group of a dozen or so students raised their fists while wearing all black. I didn't notice it at the game, but watching the replay, CBS featured it with a (previously recorded) close-up shot and commentary from the announcers as they came back from the first commercial break after WKU's first TD. This, in my opinion, accomplishes absolutely nothing and only divides people. The fact that CBS would go out of their way to show this and not anything else related to pregame (not the team entrances, not the anthem/flags, not the band playing, nothing.) just shows that they're trying to politicize sports with their "agenda".

of course they did....that's what the media does....it's all they have left in the coffer at this point...

and people are pissed off how it's playing out

it'll play itself out one way or the other.....

and trust me, the hand raisers lose every day and the eighth one....

I'm just gonna laugh at more stupid narcissistic shite that has no meaning relative to how the whole works in motion....

you can only attempt to dumb down the money....but the money will always bite ya in the end..
09-26-2016 01:25 AM
stinkfist Offline

(09-25-2016 11:17 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  Just play football. I'll get my political advice from someone that knows something about politics. And that ain't college football players.

those days are over.....

nickelbacking and social media has ruined a handful of the narcissistic that believe they are owed 'something' other than doing the job at hand....and the broadcast media continues to prey on the rest of the meek that think this shite matters....

it's akin to being dickless by the age of 12....

just more brain massaging to follow....the low IQ masses eat it up.....
09-26-2016 01:32 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

Charlotte will participate with ODU in a pregame "circle of unity" display this coming Saturday:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...421ad.html

Classy decision, and much appreciated, 49ers. It's your home game, and you get to say what happens and does not happen on a pregame basis -- especially given the (for the moment) local nature of the underlying issues.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 09:13 AM by AdoptedMonarch.)
09-29-2016 09:13 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(09-29-2016 09:13 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Charlotte will participate with ODU in a pregame "circle of unity" display this coming Saturday:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...421ad.html

Classy decision, and much appreciated, 49ers. It's your home game, and you get to say what happens and does not happen on a pregame basis -- especially given the (for the moment) local nature of the underlying issues.

Not gonna lie when I looked over your post without reading it I thought you meant the San Francisco 49ers. I completely forgot that Charlotte are also the 49ers lol
09-29-2016 11:06 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(09-25-2016 11:17 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  Just play football. I'll get my political advice from someone that knows something about politics. And that ain't college football players.

Circle of unity is not political per se. It's a gesture of unity, reflecting a desire for ALL AMERICANS to come together. What in the HeII is there to complain about that?
By the way, do you guys get upset when the band plays the Star Spangled Banner? Do you see that as political? I don't and I don't see circle of unity as political.
09-29-2016 11:09 AM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(09-29-2016 11:09 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

Circle of unity is not political per se. It's a gesture of unity, reflecting a desire for ALL AMERICANS to come together. What in the HeII is there to complain about that?
By the way, do you guys get upset when the band plays the Star Spangled Banner? Do you see that as political? I don't and I don't see circle of unity as political.

It is political in that it operates on the assumption that we are not together, thereby making a statement that change is needed. Now, you and I can both agree that is a true statement, yet it is still a statement. I don't think sports is for those type statements.
09-29-2016 11:26 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2016 11:26 AM)banker Wrote:  

It is political in that it operates on the assumption that we are not together, thereby making a statement that change is needed. Now, you and I can both agree that is a true statement, yet it is still a statement. I don't think sports is for those type statements.

I absolutely get your point. Sports should be first and only about the event.

But if we are going to make the National Anthem a pregame tradition -- as I think we should, since we are all one indivisible nation -- then we should be open to other traditions that express the same sentiment.

The circle of unity, at least in my personal opinion, does that.
09-29-2016 01:11 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
Seems almost nonsensically hypocritical to denounce a circle of player unity whilst fist pumping giant American flags covering the entire field accompanied by a flyover of three $100 million fighter jets and military salutes to our blaring national anthem. We're supposed to believe that a bunch of opposing teams' football players locking arms in goodwill is somehow more aggressive or divisive opposite that spectacle?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the latter, I just feel stupid appreciating that and not a gesture of goodwill. That's the type of thing the military is supposed to be fighting for.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 02:14 PM by Artifice.)
09-29-2016 02:13 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Being an old white guy, perhaps my take on this is incorrect, but this is how I see it and why I believe it is not only a good move but also a really smart one.

It is clear to the most casual observer that young black men in this country are highly concerned about the number of recent cases of police killings of black men. It is something they live with on a daily basis. The recent actions by Colin Kaepernick to protest during the national anthem highlighted the level of concern and brought the focus onto black (and white) athletes across the nation. Coaches at every level from high school to the pros are witnessing up close and personal the impact this is having on their players.

Without a doubt, how to best deal with this issue has become a front burner concern for both coaches and players. The question became, how can the players's concerns be addressed in a positive manner without going to the extreme measure of showing absolute disrespect for the flag and this country that it represents. Coach Bobby Wilder met with his team captains, and the circle of unity was the solution they jointly came up with. This allowed a joint statement of protest and team unity at the same time, and was not done during the national anthem. This allowed the protest to occur without being divisive among players and fans alike. Frankly, I believe it was a stroke of genius that will ensure what could be hugely divisive and disruptive to a team does not have that impact.

I am a 24-year veteran of our armed forces. The flag does have special meaning for me as it does for most veterans. I have seen it on the caskets of way too many young men, friends of mine, to not have a deeply felt dislike for any open demonstration of contempt or disrespect of our nation's symbol. At the same time, I understand the deeply felt concern that our young black athletes feel about the unwarranted deaths of their brothers, for no apparent reason other than the color of their skin. I think the circle of unity is a profoundly appropriate means of openly addressing this issue in a way that is acceptable to both young black men and old white guys.
09-29-2016 02:42 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I think I get where some are coming from. I love my sports and don't want it ruined by having divisive arguments start to break out at games. I want to put the real world behind me for a few hours and just enjoy something pure, simple and exciting. Anything that threatens this is to be avoided. I even resent the pictures some use on here of an orange politician and sig lines making openly political statements. I think they should be banned. So I do understand the concern. In this case though I really don't think it will lead to any divisiveness and will probably disappear as quickly as it arrived. At any rate, anything promoting unity can't be all bad.
09-29-2016 02:53 PM
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(09-29-2016 02:42 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Being an old white guy, perhaps my take on this is incorrect, but this is how I see it and why I believe it is not only a good move but also a really smart one.

It is clear to the most casual observer that young black men in this country are highly concerned about the number of recent cases of police killings of black men. It is something they live with on a daily basis. The recent actions by Colin Kaepernick to protest during the national anthem highlighted the level of concern and brought the focus onto black (and white) athletes across the nation. Coaches at every level from high school to the pros are witnessing up close and personal the impact this is having on their players.

Without a doubt, how to best deal with this issue has become a front burner concern for both coaches and players. The question became, how can the players's concerns be addressed in a positive manner without going to the extreme measure of showing absolute disrespect for the flag and this country that it represents. Coach Bobby Wilder met with his team captains, and the circle of unity was the solution they jointly came up with. This allowed a joint statement of protest and team unity at the same time, and was not done during the national anthem. This allowed the protest to occur without being divisive among players and fans alike. Frankly, I believe it was a stroke of genius that will ensure what could be hugely divisive and disruptive to a team does not have that impact.

I am a 24-year veteran of our armed forces. The flag does have special meaning for me as it does for most veterans. I have seen it on the caskets of way too many young men, friends of mine, to not have a deeply felt dislike for any open demonstration of contempt or disrespect of our nation's symbol. At the same time, I understand the deeply felt concern that our young black athletes feel about the unwarranted deaths of their brothers, for no apparent reason other than the color of their skin. I think the circle of unity is a profoundly appropriate means of openly addressing this issue in a way that is acceptable to both young black men and old white guys.

This kind of BS is the exact problem here. There is no great "unwarranted" killing of black men going on. Period. No doubt it has happened. Just as it has happened to white people. But the problem is a lack of respect for law and order. You wave a gun around at the police, don't do what you're told and give them reason to believe they or someone else is in danger and they should use whatever force necessary to incapacitate you. BTW, the 'gentleman' killed in Charlotte had spent six years in prison for,you got it, shooting someone.
09-29-2016 04:22 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2016 04:22 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(09-29-2016 02:42 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Being an old white guy, perhaps my take on this is incorrect, but this is how I see it and why I believe it is not only a good move but also a really smart one.

This kind of BS is the exact problem here. There is no great "unwarranted" killing of black men going on. Period. No doubt it has happened. Just as it has happened to white people. But the problem is a lack of respect for law and order. You wave a gun around at the police, don't do what you're told and give them reason to believe they or someone else is in danger and they should use whatever force necessary to incapacitate you. BTW, the 'gentleman' killed in Charlotte had spent six years in prison for,you got it, shooting someone.

I'm not here to argue with you on the facts, SoMS Eagle, because frankly I agree with you. And that is why I am so bothered by the ignorant actions of Colin K. and his wannabe followers.

But is there something about the circle of unity that somehow likewise offends you? I don't see why it would.

Even assuming you and I are correct on our opinion that the police being most unfairly maligned in this latest media hysteria, it is undeniable that lots and lots of young blacks and whites (wrongly in my view) strongly hold a different opinion -- and distrust or even fear the police. Since that perception is out there, isn't something like the circle of unity an opportunity for us to all remind ourselves that we are all one nation, whether we agree or not on particular issues?
09-29-2016 04:42 PM
MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
The Killing of even one unarmed human being by another human being is always "Unwarranted"! Those who are unwilling, or unable to acknowledge that unarmed black men are being shot by Police Officers without any justification are part of the growing festering problem in our country. And, it has nothing to do with a lack of respect for" Law and Order". The last charlatan who promised to restore "Law and Order" was the Greatest Criminal who ever became President, one Richard Millhouse Nixon! If these college students want to make a "Circle of Unity" more power to them all.
09-29-2016 04:45 PM
stinkfist Offline

(09-29-2016 01:11 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(09-29-2016 11:26 AM)banker Wrote:  

I absolutely get your point. Sports should be first and only about the event.

But if we are going to make the National Anthem a pregame tradition -- as I think we should, since we are all one indivisible nation -- then we should be open to other traditions that express the same sentiment.

The circle of unity, at least in my personal opinion, does that.

the entire thing is beyond retarded....

just go through the rhetoric and play the fk'n game....

they're only dick'n themselves....and I'm laughin' at the lot of 'em....
09-29-2016 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.