Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Raines to So. Miss.
Bookmark and Share
PvilleHerdFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Troubled junior college linebacker Marcus Raines has committed to Southern Mississippi.

Raines went from top 15 linebacker prospect at Pasadena (Calif.) City College to pariah after word spread in recruiting circles about his role in the May 2000 death of a high school student in Palmdale, Calif. Raines originally was charged with second-degree murder after Christopher O'Leary died following a scuffle at a party. Instead of going to trial, Raines eventually accepted a plea bargain to involuntary manslaughter.

He served one year in a juvenile institution and two years in a boot camp. Raines has not signed with Southern Miss yet but told CBS SportsLine.com on Monday that the school has offered a scholarship and he intends to sign at some point. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Raines saw all offers dry up after Kansas State publicly stopped recruiting him on Dec. 3. When that happened, Raines' past became more widely known among recruiters even though his situation had been widely covered in Los Angeles.

"They believed in my character and decided to scholarship me," Raines said of Southern Miss by phone Monday from Pasadena, where he is still attending junior college. "They asked me a lot of questions, but they believed in me."

Marcus Raines said the right things to school officials. (Provided to SportsLine)
Raines met with Southern Miss president Shelby Thames, who signed off on his recruitment.

"He didn't hide anything from us," said Southern Miss athletic director Richard Giannini. "He deserves a second opportunity. He's dedicated his life to being a positive mentor, helping people like him."

Raines' phone remained silent from Dec. 3 and as the Feb. 2 national signing day came and went. Southern Miss coach Jeff Bower began recruiting Raines in the past two months. At 6-feet-3, 230 pounds, Raines was considered one of the best junior-college linebackers in the country. Before Dec. 3, at least four schools were recruiting him -- Marshall, Arkansas, Washington State and K-State.

One East Coast coach who lost his entire linebacking corps told SportsLine.com he couldn't offer a scholarship because of Raines' history.

Frustrated, Raines' mother, Cynthia Evans of Sacramento, Calif., began writing schools to publicize her son.

"She's so excited, she's beside herself," Raines said. "The people at Southern Miss are outstanding. I had a chance to give my side of the story. People can do you any kind of way. They got it."

The details of the case have been debated since O'Leary died. Raines might have decided to plea bargain when O'Leary's former girlfriend testified that Raines kicked O'Leary in the head. That was after O'Leary reportedly had been punched and fallen to the ground.

In June, Raines lost a civil suit brought by O'Leary's family. The judgment was for $775,000.

It is believed that Raines will sign a scholarship agreement with Southern Miss that does not bind him to the school until he enrolls.
04-18-2005 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

Wow.

Did I just read that KANSAS STATE wouldn't touch the kid? That's saying something.
04-18-2005 09:21 PM
tigers1985 Offline
Spectacular

I Root For: Tigers
DonatorsDonators

Nice. Does OJ have any elilgibility left?
04-18-2005 09:29 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Marshall wouldn't even take Marcus 05-mafia
04-18-2005 09:34 PM
EagleTalk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I am going to give this one some time. Bower has never put up with thugs before. And if this kid is a thug, then he won't be in H'burg long enough to count.

Hard to argue with Bower's record on player disipline, so I'm willing to give him some slack here.
04-18-2005 09:38 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

Ugh. Yeah, we're going to take a beating on this one. Bower isn't known for taking thugs and lowlifes, and certainly doesn't put up with any shenanigans, so I'll give the kid a chance. I trust Bower, Giannini, and President Thames. They are really putting their jobs, standing in the community, and reputation on the line for this kid.
04-18-2005 09:43 PM
Advertisement

Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

A bad decision on Bower's part. Very bad decision. I am disappointed and just plain sick over this.
Getting in trouble with the law is one thing. Killing someone is a whole different matter. We will deserve all the criticism that we get for this one. I am sick over this. Just wrong. :bang:
04-18-2005 09:50 PM
EagleTalk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I just don't think Bower would stick his neck out like this unless he had a lot of confidence in the kid. I don't think Dr. Thames (USM President) would have signed off on it without knowing a heck of a lot more than we know.

Is it a decision I would have made knowing what I know, probably not. But, we don't know all the information that Bower knows, so I will with hold judgement at this point.

And yes, USM will take a PR beating over this.
04-18-2005 09:54 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

EagleTalk Wrote:I just don't think Bower would stick his neck out like this unless he had a lot of confidence in the kid. I don't think Dr. Thames (USM President) would have signed off on it without knowing a heck of a lot more than we know.

Is it a decision I would have made knowing what I know, probably not. But, we don't know all the information that Bower knows, so I will with hold judgement at this point.

And yes, USM will take a PR beating over this.
What could Bower know that the rest of the coaching community didn't know? USM is the only 1A team to offer this thug as far as I know. Like I said, a very bad decision that will have bad ramifications for USM. :mad:
04-18-2005 10:09 PM
chieffan19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Nugget chill out,

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying the kid should be forgiven just because we offered him a scholarship. However, keep in mind the kid was 17 years old when this happened. Also, two others kids were involved as well. One plays at Oregon, the other at some small school in California. Over the last few years the kid spent one in juvenile detention, the last two at a boot camp. That discipline combined with being away from whatever bad influences he was around in california has an upside. Not to mention he went through JuCo without any problems. Also keep this in mind, USM went to such great lengths as to hire people for a background check on this kid to make sure he is no longer involved in anything controversial.

We will take a hit from a PR standpoint, but when is the last time we had good PR from anything! Yes, K St. retracted their scholarship but are you really surprised. They have had so many thugs going through that program that the university can't risk another mishap.

One more thing...WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND! For all we know this kid could have been THE reason for that young man's unfortunate death, or he could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, the justice system thinks he has sufficiently done his time. How many of you did something you would later regret when you were a kid? Simply put, he has the right to move on with his life.
04-18-2005 10:33 PM
JerryTheRaceCarDriver Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF

Hey Guys. Good board you have going on here.

This is a very very tough one. He got involved in something he shouldn't have and that was a HUGE mistake. I'm not so sure he is the thug he is being made out to be. Seems more like an incident where he got caught up with the wrong crowd in a horrible situation on the wrong night.

I'm not sure that I would want him on my team, but at the same time I think he may deserve a chance. I'm sure he has paid dearly in terms of angush (as well as $750000)

<a href='http://www.810whb.com/scripts/archives/getStory.asp?article=9595' target='_blank'>http://www.810whb.com/scripts/archives/get...sp?article=9595</a>
04-18-2005 10:34 PM
Advertisement

Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

chieffan19 Wrote:Nugget chill out,

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying the kid should be forgiven just because we offered him a scholarship.&nbsp; However, keep in mind the kid was 17 years old when this happened.&nbsp; Also, two others kids were involved as well.&nbsp; One plays at Oregon, the other at some small school in California.&nbsp; Over the last few years the kid spent one in juvenile detention, the last two at a boot camp.&nbsp; That discipline combined with being away from whatever bad influences he was around in california has an upside.&nbsp; Not to mention he went through JuCo without any problems. Also keep this in mind, USM went to such great lengths as to hire people for a background check on this kid to make sure he is no longer involved in anything controversial.&nbsp;

We will take a hit from a PR standpoint, but when is the last time we had good PR from anything!&nbsp; Yes, K St. retracted their scholarship but are you really surprised.&nbsp; They have had so many thugs going through that program that the university can't risk another mishap.&nbsp;

One more thing...WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND!&nbsp; For all we know this kid could have been THE reason for that young man's unfortunate death, or he could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.&nbsp; Either way, the justice system thinks he has sufficiently done his time.&nbsp; How many of you did something you would later regret when you were a kid?&nbsp; Simply put, he has the right to move on with his life.
Don't tell me to chill out. You can kiss my azz as far as I am concerned if you don't like my opinion.
As for not knowing what happened, how much more do you want to know. This Raines kid had a history of planned attacks on other students. He kicked the young man that died when he was unconcious on the ground. What a gutless coward. You defend that, I won't.
By the way, Raines lost a $775,000 civil suit for causing the death of Christopher O'Leary. Don't you think that just maybe a few facts confirming Raines guilt were presented to get that verdict. By the way, Raines plead guilty. There is no question of his guilt.
:mad:
04-18-2005 10:41 PM
64Aggie
Unregistered

I'm all for giving someone a second chance. For example, some kid got a schollie to a school out west (don't remember the kid's name or the school's name) and he had killed someone. However, the evidence in that one was that it was a mutual fight, the kid with the schollie hit the other kid, the other kid fell down and struck his head and the fight was over. The other kid actually got up and went home and died later due to bleeding in his head. That is an accident and I think the kid that hit the other kid deserved a second chance.

In this one though, I recall reading some of the accounts. Witnesses said that Marcus "kicked his head like a football" after he was down. Although he's certainly free to attend college on his own, the facts of this one show a young man who gleefully tried to kill another human being and has shown zero remorse (at least until he started having trouble finding a schollie).
04-18-2005 10:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Nugget's Ghost Wrote:USM is the only 1A team to offer this thug as far as I know.
Actually J.D. Brookhart at Akron had a scholarship for him, until their president said no. 05-nono
04-18-2005 10:53 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Nugget's Ghost Wrote:

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying the kid should be forgiven just because we offered him a scholarship.&nbsp; However, keep in mind the kid was 17 years old when this happened.&nbsp; Also, two others kids were involved as well.&nbsp; One plays at Oregon, the other at some small school in California.&nbsp; Over the last few years the kid spent one in juvenile detention, the last two at a boot camp.&nbsp; That discipline combined with being away from whatever bad influences he was around in california has an upside.&nbsp; Not to mention he went through JuCo without any problems. Also keep this in mind, USM went to such great lengths as to hire people for a background check on this kid to make sure he is no longer involved in anything controversial.&nbsp;

We will take a hit from a PR standpoint, but when is the last time we had good PR from anything!&nbsp; Yes, K St. retracted their scholarship but are you really surprised.&nbsp; They have had so many thugs going through that program that the university can't risk another mishap.&nbsp;

One more thing...WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND!&nbsp; For all we know this kid could have been THE reason for that young man's unfortunate death, or he could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.&nbsp; Either way, the justice system thinks he has sufficiently done his time.&nbsp; How many of you did something you would later regret when you were a kid?&nbsp; Simply put, he has the right to move on with his life.
Don't tell me to chill out. You can kiss my azz as far as I am concerned if you don't like my opinion.
As for not knowing what happened, how much more do you want to know. This Raines kid had a history of planned attacks on other students. He kicked the young man that died when he was unconcious on the ground. What a gutless coward. You defend that, I won't.
By the way, Raines lost a $775,000 civil suit for causing the death of Christopher O'Leary. Don't you think that just maybe a few facts confirming Raines guilt were presented to get that verdict. By the way, Raines plead guilty. There is no question of his guilt.
You are far from the moral measuring stick for USM. If we have room for you, then we have plenty of room for convicted felons. Civil suits are much different from criminal cases. There is no reasonable doubt in civil cases. If there is barely more evidence that suggests you MIGHT be responsible, then you are found guilty. The kid served his time and had to pay a lot of money. All BEFORE he was offered by USM. I remember you complaining as much about Rashaad Carruth when we recruited him. If Raines shows any problems, Bower will cut him in a heartbeat. I have no doubt about that.
04-18-2005 10:54 PM
EagleTalk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

MAKO

It may not change your opinion or anyone elses, but you are confusing your two stories.

In the fight that involved Raines, Woods and O'Leary. O'Leary did get up, drive his girl-friend home, and drive himself home. He was taken to the hospital early the next morning. He was hit once by Woods and kicked once by Raines.

Was it a terrible situation. Without a doubt. Did Raines try to kill O'Leary or intend to kill O'Learly? I don't think so, and neither did the courts in California.
04-18-2005 10:57 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Hey if S Miss can get though "Winged Eagle" I guess they can get though anyone.
04-18-2005 10:58 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

ccs178 Wrote:
Nugget's Ghost Wrote:

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying the kid should be forgiven just because we offered him a scholarship.  However, keep in mind the kid was 17 years old when this happened.  Also, two others kids were involved as well.  One plays at Oregon, the other at some small school in California.  Over the last few years the kid spent one in juvenile detention, the last two at a boot camp.  That discipline combined with being away from whatever bad influences he was around in california has an upside.  Not to mention he went through JuCo without any problems. Also keep this in mind, USM went to such great lengths as to hire people for a background check on this kid to make sure he is no longer involved in anything controversial. 

We will take a hit from a PR standpoint, but when is the last time we had good PR from anything!  Yes, K St. retracted their scholarship but are you really surprised.  They have had so many thugs going through that program that the university can't risk another mishap. 

One more thing...WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND!  For all we know this kid could have been THE reason for that young man's unfortunate death, or he could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Either way, the justice system thinks he has sufficiently done his time.   How many of you did something you would later regret when you were a kid?  Simply put, he has the right to move on with his life.
You are far from the moral measuring stick for USM. If we have room for you, then we have plenty of room for convicted felons. Civil suits are much different from criminal cases. There is no reasonable doubt in civil cases. If there is barely more evidence that suggests you MIGHT be responsible, then you are found guilty. The kid served his time and had to pay a lot of money. All BEFORE he was offered by USM. I remember you complaining as much about Rashaad Carruth when we recruited him. If Raines shows any problems, Bower will cut him in a heartbeat. I have no doubt about that.
Aren't you something. Big talk fella. As for the civil suit, I want to know where you got your law degree from. Here is an excerpt from the case involving Raines:

"Before their attack on Chris O'Leary, Woods and Newton assaulted and viciously beat another student in a hallway on the Little Rock campus. The cunning of Woods and Raines in planning their violence is matched only by the brazen nature of the attack. The similarity between this attack and the attack that killed Chris O'Leary is chilling.
*12 On March 17, 1999 Newton and Raines both left separate classrooms at the same time, met in the hallway on another part of the campus, and then chased and attacked another student in front of a classroom conducting class. (App., p. 87-90, 102-103, 107-108)"

Want more. Here is an excerpt from an article concerning this case:

"I saw something flash out of the corner of my right eye," said Stacy Holzer, Christopher O'Leary's girlfriend.

That something was the right fist of Richard Newton, a 17-year-old quarterback and teammate of Woods'. The fist connected with O'Leary's jaw.

"Chris' eyes rolled back in his head," Holzer said. "He dropped like nothing."

The cheerleader knelt over her boyfriend, cradling his head in her tiny hands.

"Then, I saw the boot," she said.

The boot belonged to Marcus Raines, the team's 17-year-old linebacker.

"Marcus kicked Chris' head right out of my hands," Holzer says. "He kicked it like it was a football."

Within hours he was airlifted to a trauma center in Northridge, where surgeons compared the brain hemorrhaging O'Leary suffered to setting a plate of Jell-O on the sidewalk on a summer day.

Three days later, O'Leary was declared brain-dead. Before deciding to donate his organs, the family was allowed a minute alone. O'Leary's mother and girlfriend crawled into the hospital bed, put their arms around his body and sobbed. "

Go ahead and cheer on Mr. Raines this fall. I am sure Christopher O'Leary's parents will find it rather difficult to cheer for him wearing the Black and Gold. You sell your soul to win football games, I think I will pass.
04-18-2005 11:13 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Nugget's Ghost Wrote:
ccs178 Wrote:
Nugget's Ghost Wrote:

Aren't you something. Big talk fella. As for the civil suit, I want to know where you got your law degree from. Here is an excerpt from the case involving Raines:

"Before their attack on Chris O'Leary, Woods and Newton assaulted and viciously beat another student in a hallway on the Little Rock campus. The cunning of Woods and Raines in planning their violence is matched only by the brazen nature of the attack. The similarity between this attack and the attack that killed Chris O'Leary is chilling.
*12 On March 17, 1999 Newton and Raines both left separate classrooms at the same time, met in the hallway on another part of the campus, and then chased and attacked another student in front of a classroom conducting class. (App., p. 87-90, 102-103, 107-108)"

"I saw something flash out of the corner of my right eye," said Stacy Holzer, Christopher O'Leary's girlfriend.

That something was the right fist of Richard Newton, a 17-year-old quarterback and teammate of Woods'. The fist connected with O'Leary's jaw.

"Marcus kicked Chris' head right out of my hands," Holzer says. "He kicked it like it was a football."

Within hours he was airlifted to a trauma center in Northridge, where surgeons compared the brain hemorrhaging O'Leary suffered to setting a plate of Jell-O on the sidewalk on a summer day.

Three days later, O'Leary was declared brain-dead. Before deciding to donate his organs, the family was allowed a minute alone. O'Leary's mother and girlfriend crawled into the hospital bed, put their arms around his body and sobbed. "

Go ahead and cheer on Mr. Raines this fall. I am sure Christopher O'Leary's parents will find it rather difficult to cheer for him wearing the Black and Gold. You sell your soul to win football games, I think I will pass.
You don't seem to understand how a civil suit works. If I come up with 2 eyewitness that say you are guilty and you can only come up with one that says you aren't, you lose. Since you are so adept at cut and paste then why don't you paste some of the defense's case too? I'm not defending what he took part in. I don't have to defend him. He did time and paid or is paying out a lot of money. As far as the law is concerned he is even. If you don't like it, tough titty.

I tell you what, why don't you be the "bigger" and "better" man and leave USM forever? Just go ahead and walk on water, jump on your high horse and secure yourself on self-righteous island. I promise I'll shed a tear for you as you leave. Honestly.
04-18-2005 11:26 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

ccs178 Wrote:
Nugget's Ghost Wrote:
ccs178 Wrote:
Nugget's Ghost Wrote:

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying the kid should be forgiven just because we offered him a scholarship.  However, keep in mind the kid was 17 years old when this happened.  Also, two others kids were involved as well.  One plays at Oregon, the other at some small school in California.  Over the last few years the kid spent one in juvenile detention, the last two at a boot camp.  That discipline combined with being away from whatever bad influences he was around in california has an upside.  Not to mention he went through JuCo without any problems. Also keep this in mind, USM went to such great lengths as to hire people for a background check on this kid to make sure he is no longer involved in anything controversial. 

We will take a hit from a PR standpoint, but when is the last time we had good PR from anything!  Yes, K St. retracted their scholarship but are you really surprised.  They have had so many thugs going through that program that the university can't risk another mishap. 

One more thing...WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND!  For all we know this kid could have been THE reason for that young man's unfortunate death, or he could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Either way, the justice system thinks he has sufficiently done his time. &nbsp; How many of you did something you would later regret when you were a kid?  Simply put, he has the right to move on with his life.

You don't seem to understand how a civil suit works. If I come up with 2 eyewitness that say you are guilty and you can only come up with one that says you aren't, you lose. Since you are so adept at cut and paste then why don't you paste some of the defense's case too? I'm not defending what he took part in. I don't have to defend him. He did time and paid or is paying out a lot of money. As far as the law is concerned he is even. If you don't like it, tough titty.

I tell you what, why don't you be the "bigger" and "better" man and leave USM forever? Just go ahead and walk on water, jump on your high horse and secure yourself on self-righteous island. I promise I'll shed a tear for you as you leave. Honestly.
I am sure one day if a thug beats one of your kids to death, you will be just as big hearted as you are now. You would probably help that killer of your child get a football scholarship and go cheer for him. After all, he had paid his price to society and is paying you a lot of cash you can vacation on.
Whats the death of your child. After all you are a big forgiveing person with lots of money now.
Also, glad to know some USM fans like you are so caught up in winning football games you are happy about signing a convicted killer. You are an asset to our community. Yes sir, you are a real jewel with your life's priorities set just right.
04-18-2005 11:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.