ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Honest Question:Can we recruit a backup kicker from any other team during the season?
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Honest Question:Can we recruit a backup kicker from any other team during the season?
If we can there's no better time to do that then now. Our kicking game is one word Horrible
09-24-2016 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
RE: Honest Question:Can we recruit a backup kicker from any other team during the season?
(09-24-2016 10:52 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  If we can there's no better time to do that then now. Our kicking game is one word Horrible

Would be best served checking the club soccer team
09-24-2016 11:00 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

RE: Honest Question:Can we recruit a backup kicker from any other team during the season?
You're telling me that Wilder can't raid the soccer team for a kicker? Other schools do that, why can't we?
09-24-2016 11:28 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

Yeah that would be so much better if we can borrow our soccer team kicker backup and make him practice until he becomes good at kicking an elliptical ball instead of a round one.
09-25-2016 12:21 AM
ODU2011 Offline
1st String

No, that would require work and not laziness
09-25-2016 01:14 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(09-24-2016 11:28 PM)FTW ODU Wrote:  You're telling me that Wilder can't raid the soccer team for a kicker? Other schools do that, why can't we?

What school has ever done this?
09-25-2016 03:44 AM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Soccer season is in season. You have to have a kid that wants to play football. You would have to then teach the kid how to kick.
09-25-2016 05:03 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

And no you cant take a kid from another team.
09-25-2016 05:03 AM
Obiwan Offline
1st String

Start posting want ads on telephone poles around campus - like putting together a band?
09-25-2016 05:50 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

Honest Question:Can we recruit a backup kicker from any other team during the...
(09-25-2016 03:44 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(09-24-2016 11:28 PM)FTW ODU Wrote:  You're telling me that Wilder can't raid the soccer team for a kicker? Other schools do that, why can't we?

Pen State has done this. They've also taken soccer players from other schools

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootbal..._socc.html
09-25-2016 07:49 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Sounds like there was a lot of practice involved. I doubt you can just take a soccer player and have them kick this year, assuming any of them would want to.
09-25-2016 09:15 AM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Good friend of mine son was playing soccer and switched to football, took him a while to get the mechanics down.
09-25-2016 09:41 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

It doesnt have to be a soccer player. Just hold open tryouts for all students. Someone out there can kick 30 yarders and extra points. I bet there are even a few women that could do it. And there are surely HS star soccer players that aren't playing in college. Just find someone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
09-25-2016 10:32 AM
The Flagship Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(09-25-2016 07:49 AM)FTW ODU Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 03:44 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Pen State has done this. They've also taken soccer players from other schools

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootbal..._socc.html

Meh, that was before the season started.

Here's an example of a mid-season move, during the playoffs:
http://www.statesboroherald.com/archives/49029/
09-25-2016 10:42 AM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Having played soccer (not collegiately), it's probably easier to get a punter quickly than a place kicker.
09-25-2016 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Or have a kicking competition at the next home game and offer the winner a job. That's what Texas Tech ended up doing in 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Willi..._football)

Looks like he played two and a half seasons and was pretty good throughout -- 22 of 28 on FGs, 60 of 61 on XPs.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play...ams-1.html
09-25-2016 10:45 AM
Advertisement

AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Having been a punter for a season in high school I can say its a different motion than kicking off the ground for me. I couldn't kick off the ground or tee to save my life if I tried but I could punt and dropkick. It was the foot eye coordination I was best at.

Can the dropkick be used in college for extra point?

Can the holder and kicker back up a few more yards on extra points? Wilder said afterwards that he took to long to kick. If allowed an extra yard or two would give him the time to kick.
09-25-2016 11:20 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

After thinking about this I think they should keep working with Cate. I think there is too much of a learning curve at this point for someone new. I don't know what happened with Rudy but I hope they are working with him too. I think it might kill any confidence building if we hold open tryouts.
09-25-2016 11:38 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-25-2016 11:20 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Having been a punter for a season in high school I can say its a different motion than kicking off the ground for me. I couldn't kick off the ground or tee to save my life if I tried but I could punt and dropkick. It was the foot eye coordination I was best at.

Can the holder and kicker back up a few more yards on extra points? Wilder said afterwards that he took to long to kick. If allowed an extra yard or two would give him the time to kick.

It's legal, though exceedingly rare. Doug Flutie kicked a PAT that way once. I think it may have been his last play in the NFL.

I guess if they wanted to, they could take a delay of game penalty or two. I can't find it, but I remember reading about a team that had a kicker that was far more accurate from midrange than close up, so on a pivotal FG attempt, they took two penalties to get to his comfort zone.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 11:52 AM by Cyniclone.)
09-25-2016 11:52 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(09-25-2016 11:52 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 11:20 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Having been a punter for a season in high school I can say its a different motion than kicking off the ground for me. I couldn't kick off the ground or tee to save my life if I tried but I could punt and dropkick. It was the foot eye coordination I was best at.

It's legal, though exceedingly rare. Doug Flutie kicked a PAT that way once. I think it may have been his last play in the NFL.

I guess if they wanted to, they could take a delay of game penalty or two. I can't find it, but I remember reading about a team that had a kicker that was far more accurate from midrange than close up, so on a pivotal FG attempt, they took two penalties to get to his comfort zone.

I dont even think you'd have to take a penalty just have the place holder back up a yard or so, the real pressure would be on the snapper but if he can get the ball to a punter than I dont see an issue getting the ball to the place holder a few more yards back. I'm not clear if its allowed for the place holder to back up any more.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 12:03 PM by AimHigher.)
09-25-2016 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.