georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The progressive legacy they don't want you to know about
http://reason.com/archives/2016/09/24/am...-war-ii-in

Quote:America's Other World War II Internment Camps

The legacy of the German and Japanese prisoners held hostage

Most Americans are aware of the War Relocation Authority camps established after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. That program rounded up and interned 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry, more than half of them born in the United States. Less well known is the Alien Enemy Control Unit program, which scooped up other Japanese Americans, along with German and Italian Americans that the Justice Department considered national security threats, often on the flimsiest of evidence.

The Alien Enemy Control Unit camp in Crystal City, Texas, was the program's only detention center specifically designed to accommodate families. It is the focus of The Train to Crystal City, the Texas-based journalist Jan Jarboe Russell's painful account of the Americans held in captivity and used as hostages to recover other Americans held abroad during World War II.

Like so much else associated with overweening government, the family relocations were launched with something resembling good intentions: to let family members live with their already detained parents and spouses. But the incarcerations of sons, daughters, and wives simply added to the human toll of what was already an unjust and unjustifiable system.

In the days immediately after Pearl Harbor, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt set in motion a chain of events that would wreck tens of thousands of lives while providing scant return in terms of national security.

Attorney General Francis Biddle later wrote, "I do not think Roosevelt was much concerned with the gravity or implications of this step." In fact, the president had been contemplating such a step for years, long before the United States entered World War II. On September 1, 1939, the day Germany invaded Poland, Roosevelt ordered the creation of a top secret Special Division within the State Department. Its task: to catalog important Americans living in Germany and Japan. A few months later, he authorized the Special War Problems Division to identify Japanese and Germans in the United States and Latin America who could be used as trade bait for those Americans.

The government was therefore able, within days of Pearl Harbor, to take 1,212 Japanese, 620 Germans, and 98 Italians into custody. Many, many more would follow. When FDR asked Biddle how many Germans were in the country, Biddle told him there were about 600,000. "And you're going to intern all of them," Roosevelt replied.
09-24-2016 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
RE: The progressive legacy they don't want you to know about
Roosevelt was definitely one of the worst presidents.
09-24-2016 12:54 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(09-24-2016 12:54 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  Roosevelt was definitely one of the worst presidents.

He was an American dictator.
09-24-2016 01:20 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Don't forget operation Wetback! The negro internment camps and illegal deportation squads will restore this great nation to what it was. 03-cloud9
09-24-2016 01:22 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Not a fan of interning people, obviously a lot of innocent people become victims, but it serves a pubic safety purpose during war. Since Islam declared war, we haven't interned people with possible split loyalties and how has that been going? Not a call to lock all Muslims up but dammit, can we stop inviting massive numbers in?

Quote:The Duquesne Spy Ring

The most sophisticated German espionage operation in the United States was established—and busted—before America even entered the war. The Duquesne spy ring included 30 men and three women operating under the direction of Frederick “Fritz” Joubert Duquesne, a flamboyant South African adventurer and soldier who had also spied for the Germans during World War I. Starting in the late 1930s, members of Duquesne’s clandestine cell found their way into key civilian jobs in the United States. Some operatives served as couriers by working aboard American merchant vessels and airlines, while others gathered information by posing as military contractors. In its first several months, the Duquesne spy ring gained significant intelligence on American shipping patterns, and even stole military secrets regarding the bombsights used in American aircraft.

Despite its early successes, the Duquesne spy ring was toppled in 1941 when a new recruit named William G. Sebold became a double agent for the United States. In addition to funneling dummy radio messages to the Nazis, the FBI provided Sebold with an office in New York outfitted with hidden recording devices and a two-way mirror. Once Sebold had gathered enough evidence, the FBI arrested Duquesne and 32 of his operatives in the biggest espionage bust in American history. Just days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, all members of the group were convicted and sentenced to a total of over 300 years in prison.

Quote:Operation Pastorius

The largest invasion of American soil during World War II came in the form of eight Nazi saboteurs sent to the United States on a doomed mission known as Operation Pastorius. The men—all naturalized American citizens who were living in Germany when the conflict began—were tasked with sabotaging the war effort and demoralizing the civilian population through acts of terrorism. In June 1942, U-boats secretly dropped the two four-man crews on the coast of Amagansett, New York, and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Each team carried up to $84,000 in cash and enough explosives to wage a long campaign of sabotage.

The men had orders to attack transport hubs, hydroelectric power plants and industrial facilities. But before a single act of sabotage could ever take place, the mission was compromised when George John Dasch, one of the saboteurs from the New York group, chose to turn himself in to the FBI. Dasch was heavily interrogated, and after two weeks the FBI successfully rounded up the remaining saboteurs. Six of the men were executed as spies, while Dasch and an accomplice were jailed for six years before being deported by President Harry Truman.

http://www.history.com/news/history-list...rld-war-ii
09-24-2016 04:38 PM
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(09-24-2016 12:54 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  Roosevelt was definitely the worst president.

FIFY
09-24-2016 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(09-24-2016 04:59 PM)blah Wrote:  
(09-24-2016 12:54 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  Roosevelt was definitely the worst president.

FIFY

I didn't want to take Buchanan's one claim to fame.
09-24-2016 10:11 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-24-2016 10:11 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  
(09-24-2016 04:59 PM)blah Wrote:  

FIFY

I didn't want to take Buchanan's one claim to fame.

Roosevelt was just the most dismissive of the Constitution.
09-25-2016 09:33 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(09-24-2016 12:44 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  http://reason.com/archives/2016/09/24/am...-war-ii-in

Quote:America's Other World War II Internment Camps

The legacy of the German and Japanese prisoners held hostage

Most Americans are aware of the War Relocation Authority camps established after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. That program rounded up and interned 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry, more than half of them born in the United States. Less well known is the Alien Enemy Control Unit program, which scooped up other Japanese Americans, along with German and Italian Americans that the Justice Department considered national security threats, often on the flimsiest of evidence.

The Alien Enemy Control Unit camp in Crystal City, Texas, was the program's only detention center specifically designed to accommodate families. It is the focus of The Train to Crystal City, the Texas-based journalist Jan Jarboe Russell's painful account of the Americans held in captivity and used as hostages to recover other Americans held abroad during World War II.

Like so much else associated with overweening government, the family relocations were launched with something resembling good intentions: to let family members live with their already detained parents and spouses. But the incarcerations of sons, daughters, and wives simply added to the human toll of what was already an unjust and unjustifiable system.

In the days immediately after Pearl Harbor, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt set in motion a chain of events that would wreck tens of thousands of lives while providing scant return in terms of national security.

Attorney General Francis Biddle later wrote, "I do not think Roosevelt was much concerned with the gravity or implications of this step." In fact, the president had been contemplating such a step for years, long before the United States entered World War II. On September 1, 1939, the day Germany invaded Poland, Roosevelt ordered the creation of a top secret Special Division within the State Department. Its task: to catalog important Americans living in Germany and Japan. A few months later, he authorized the Special War Problems Division to identify Japanese and Germans in the United States and Latin America who could be used as trade bait for those Americans.

The government was therefore able, within days of Pearl Harbor, to take 1,212 Japanese, 620 Germans, and 98 Italians into custody. Many, many more would follow. When FDR asked Biddle how many Germans were in the country, Biddle told him there were about 600,000. "And you're going to intern all of them," Roosevelt replied.
Shhhhhh why did you go and tell everyone?

Sent from my SM-T357T using CSNbbs mobile app
09-25-2016 01:16 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Threads like these prove GTS is absolutely clueless when it comes to history and critical thought.

1. This is one of the most well known historical events in US history. It is emphasized in textbooks. when I was in school we had to read personal accounts about it. it is without a doubt one of the most highlighted events of WWII in classrooms. if you want to play "we don't teach this" then blame republican states not democratic states because progressive states are the ones more likely to teach or emphasize this stuff. no wonder you don't know about it.

2. The US passed a bill in the 80s formally apologizing for it and paid restitution. that bill had 166 cosponsers of which only 33 were republican. the bill passed with a majority of dems in favor and a majority of GOPers opposed. that was true for GOPers and dems in general and each house individually broken down.

3. there is no way one can say progressives hide from this. if anything they latch on to it showing the mistreatment minorities faced in the past and an example of why we should always be vigilant of modern problems. meanwhile republicans support the "US history should only put the USA in a positive light" talking point. I have personally brought up this issue on this forum a number of times. I often talk about how the term "Japanese" was nowhere to be found in the order and Canada along with a dozen Latin American Countries also did it. just goes to show how easy it is for mob rule to go after a specific minority.

4. It is insanely idiotic to attach this as progressive legacy. you have this idiotic line of thought that no matter how overwhelming conservative support is for something, if even a small number of progressives were in favor of it then that must mean the progressives have as much (or even a majority) of the blame for it. you also seem to disregard concepts of political capitol and compromising where progressives support something not because they like it but because they would rather focus on other issues. I watch you and owl do this time and time again and it is laughable how you guys prefer to butcher history just to fulfill your agenda.
09-28-2016 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.