03-banghead
09-19-2016 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
RE: Who is Shawn Oakman?
Grobe is no better at telling the truth than his predecessor.
09-19-2016 09:17 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Talk about literally nothing desperately being made into something for the sake of cheap clicks!!

"OOOOOooooo!!! Me too!!! Let me write something negative about Baylor!! I want to be the author on a blog post that gets more than 100 views!!!"
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 09:32 PM by MplsBison.)
09-19-2016 09:31 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
To be honest, a reporter would be foolish to leave that alone.

It's cheap, yes.. but it aptly fits the narrative.

Baylor is like Elliot, leaving all these Reese's Pieces to show the reporters the way.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 09:51 PM by BigEastHomer.)
09-19-2016 09:50 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-19-2016 09:17 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Grobe is no better at telling the truth than his predecessor.

Grobe has been at Baylor about a month and never dealt with these people. How many of you could have told us the names of the accused Baylor players who had been dismissed?

Name wasn't familiar to me.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 10:24 PM by bullet.)
09-19-2016 10:24 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

(09-19-2016 10:24 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(09-19-2016 09:17 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Grobe is no better at telling the truth than his predecessor.

Grobe has been at Baylor about a month and never dealt with these people. How many of you could have told us the names of the accused Baylor players who had been dismissed?

Grobe has been Baylor coach since May 30.
09-19-2016 10:29 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I believe Grobe didn't know who Oakman was. In all honesty why would he? Grobe didn't coach at Baylor when Oakman was there, and I would imagine that with it being an OOC game that Baylor did like most other teams do when there are no conference travel roster limits and brought everybody so you are talking about over 100 people between players, coaches, and support staff being in the locker room. The problem is with whoever let Oakman in the locker room, and unless it was Grobe himself it's hard to put the blame on him.
09-19-2016 11:06 PM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Who is Shawn Oakman?
(09-19-2016 09:31 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Talk about literally nothing desperately being made into something for the sake of cheap clicks!!

"OOOOOooooo!!! Me too!!! Let me write something negative about Baylor!! I want to be the author on a blog post that gets more than 100 views!!!"

Pretty much. All of this hoopla over ambiguous phrasing while saying he wouldn't recognize a guy he never met face to face.

I have yet to see any of these national writers who claim to care SO much do any heavy reporting on the policies, investment, and additional staff that is correcting the actual problems with title 9 compliance. That's very telling as its one of the few ways you actually see real change beyond what insults fanbases trade at each other out of stories like this.
09-20-2016 12:30 AM
1845 Bear Offline

Who is Shawn Oakman?
(09-19-2016 10:29 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  

Grobe has been Baylor coach since May 30.

Oakman has been off of the team for all of that time and Grobe barely got time with the team over the summer anyway due to time limits placed on coaches.

Grobe said he doesn't know who he is and clarified later as he wouldn't be able to identify who Oakman is if he saw him without being told who it is. Which makes perfect sense given how little opportunity there was for them to potentially meet at all.

Sure seem to be a lot of people out there who all of a sudden want to smear the two time ethics chair of the AFCA based on which logo is on his shirt now. My school made tons of mistakes and is paying for them as we should be. What is also true is that any time the new guy who had nothing to do with the issues says anything remotely ambiguous it gets twisted into a hit piece. Does nothing to help real victims at all either.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 12:38 AM by 1845 Bear.)
09-20-2016 12:33 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Grobe: There is no culture of bad behavior at Baylor (July 19).

Reporter: Who is Shawn Oakman?

Grobe: I have no idea (Sept 17).

===========

There's no story here. Nothing to worry about. Click baiters gonna bait.

Grobe has "the ethics." Move along.
09-20-2016 06:02 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

Who is Shawn Oakman?
(09-20-2016 06:02 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Grobe: There is no culture of bad behavior at Baylor (July 19).

Reporter: Who is Shawn Oakman?

Grobe: I have no idea (Sept 17).

===========

There's no story here. Nothing to worry about. Click baiters gonna bait.

Grobe has "the ethics." Move along.

Each quote clarified very quickly but reporters ran with clickbait anyway.

1- Clarified to say with the kids he has now. -
“I have to talk about what I’ve found since I’ve been at Baylor, not what happened before I got there because obviously there was a problem in the culture dealing with these issues. That’s why we don’t have a president, an (athletics director) and a football coach and some staff members that were released,” Grobe said. “The only thing I can talk about is to let you know that since I’ve been at Baylor, the kids that are on our football team are really, really good kids. That’s what I’ve seen."

2- In the same news conference that the quote you reference regarding Oakman was said...

If he walked in today, I wouldn't know that was Shawn Oakman."

He simply doesn't recognize who Oakman is just by looking at his face given that he never met the guy. Oakman was gone before Grobe was hired and to say Grobe has been a little busy since then is an understatement. He obviously knows who the name is.

All this does is takes attention away from the real issues that deal directly with how cases are handled and how victims are treated
09-20-2016 06:43 AM
Scoochpooch Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: P4

Seriously? I thought you were a big Big 12 fan. Oakman was the featured defensive player (not saying much I know) on every broadcasted Baylor game.
09-20-2016 08:43 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

Can just anyone walk in the Baylor locker room? This is a guy charged with rape and out on bail.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 09:03 AM by Big Frog II.)
09-20-2016 09:02 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-20-2016 09:02 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Can just anyone walk in the Baylor locker room? This is a guy charged with rape and out on bail.

I don't think the security guard at the locker room door is running background checks on people.
09-20-2016 09:38 AM
WTXOwl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice University
(09-20-2016 09:38 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 09:02 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Can just anyone walk in the Baylor locker room? This is a guy charged with rape and out on bail.

I don't think the security guard at the locker room door is running background checks on people.

I am very familiar with the security at Rice Stadium. There are four ways to get into the visitors locker room. Each has security personnel. . . So unless someone is on the field with the team as they ascend the tunnel, they have to go past someone who will ask questions. If someone makes it into the visitors locker room area, that person was waived in by someone with the opposing team having the actual, or apparent, authority to do so.
09-21-2016 05:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.