Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting Factor
Bookmark and Share
bearcat_df Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Recruiting Factor
I remember Brian Kelly saying we could find every player we needed within 100 miles from UC. The other day it dawned on me that 2 major programs and another P5 one have former UC coaches - MSU, ND, and U of Tenn. I haven't gone back to look at recent recruiting classes, but I imagine these three programs can recruit in our footprint given their relationships within it.

You also have a strong U of Mich. So there is a lot of recruiting competition. IMHO, certainly more competitive than in dantonio or Kellys eras. How do you rank programs?

I think these programs are ahead of us and make it very hard for UC to recruit a 5 or 4 star.
OSU
ND
UM/MSU
other national programs - Bama, Fla, etc
Other Big 10 programs
Other regional P5 Schools U of L, UK, WVU

I think we are still ahead of all the MAC programs and C-USA (Marshall)

09-18-2016 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Recruiting Factor
Add Narduzzi and Pitt to that list. They are in this town often.

09-18-2016 10:06 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2016 09:56 PM)bearcat_df Wrote:  I remember Brian Kelly saying we could find every player we needed within 100 miles from UC. The other day it dawned on me that 2 major programs and another P5 one have former UC coaches - MSU, ND, and U of Tenn. I haven't gone back to look at recent recruiting classes, but I imagine these three programs can recruit in our footprint given their relationships within it.

You also have a strong U of Mich. So there is a lot of recruiting competition. IMHO, certainly more competitive than in dantonio or Kellys eras. How do you rank programs?

I think these programs are ahead of us and make it very hard for UC to recruit a 5 or 4 star.
OSU
ND
UM/MSU
other national programs - Bama, Fla, etc
Other Big 10 programs
Other regional P5 Schools U of L, UK, WVU

I think we are still ahead of all the MAC programs and C-USA (Marshall)

We are definitely head of the regional MAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA schools. Obviously Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan can get just about whoever they want. Michigan State, Kentucky (only because they're in the SEC) Louisville, and West Virginia will get their fair share of recruits as well. We do have better talent than schools like Purdue and Indiana though.

Recruiting against OSU, Michigan, and Notre Dame is always going to be tough, but we can hang with the Louisvilles and West Virginias of the world once we are on their level again in terms of conference affiliation.

09-18-2016 10:08 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Before UC joined the Big East, Boston College recruited heavily from the Tri State's Catholic schools. That pipeline got shut off when UC got promoted, and BC has stunk since then.

I looked at Wisconsin's roster last year, and they had more kids from the Cincinnati area than the whole state of Illinois.

09-19-2016 10:56 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(09-19-2016 10:56 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Before UC joined the Big East, Boston College recruited heavily from the Tri State's Catholic schools. That pipeline got shut off when UC got promoted, and BC has stunk since then.

I looked at Wisconsin's roster last year, and they had more kids from the Cincinnati area than the whole state of Illinois.

There are some exceptions (Luke Kueckly)

09-19-2016 11:24 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(09-19-2016 11:24 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  
(09-19-2016 10:56 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Before UC joined the Big East, Boston College recruited heavily from the Tri State's Catholic schools. That pipeline got shut off when UC got promoted, and BC has stunk since then.

There are some exceptions (Luke Kueckly)

Stephen Daniels, although that didn't really pan out that much. MSU and Wisconsin have really picked the GCL dry lately.

09-19-2016 12:44 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
UT has always recruited here Butch hasn't had recent success but they continue to hit Cincinnati. Fulmer was in the tri-state area often.

09-19-2016 01:06 PM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe

That has been largely the result of Tom O'Brien leaving BC for NC State since O'Brien was a St. X alum and recruited the GCL heavily.

09-19-2016 01:24 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

If the Big 12 intends to do anything, it would be helpful if it got done before national signing day. I guess players could sign elsewhere and transfer back to UC but that gets messy in terms of transfer rules and unbalanced recruiting classes.

So UC remains anchored in the Twilight Zone for this year's recruits.

09-19-2016 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.