Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aztec Here
Bookmark and Share
SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
Aztec Here
This will be brief because I don't want to re-type all I already wrote before GD Windows decided to reconfigure itself without warning and thereby delete 10 minutes worth of work. So in a nutshell . . .

Congrats on putting a huge scare into SDSU. The game was pretty chippy but that was on both sides and DJ Pumphrey said the late hits by Huskies was just your team "being a good competitor." The officiating was horrible and since it was probably a MWC crew that's par for the course. Two penalties which come immediately to mind are the PI against your DB when it was clear our #81 Judge was the one who actually committed the infraction and the taunting call on Golladay after his TD. As the announcers showed, Pumphrey did exactly the same thing last week against Cal and the Pac-12 officials who did that game just let it go.

I think had Hare been able to play that the result could easily have been different since Graham is nothing more than a proverbial game manager and that's going to limit your team all season. However, you've earned my respect and I'll be rooting for you to win the MAC. Good luck and maybe we'll see you next year at Qualcomm.
09-18-2016 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Striker2388 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Aztec Here
No need to apologize for beating us. You've got a good ball club. I'll be rooting for you guys the rest of the season. Good luck
09-18-2016 12:30 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
That was a ridiculous game with the officiating. I know there were at least a couple really crummy calls against NIU and I'm sure some against SDSU.

Hare would have helped, as Graham was at least getting some time to throw, usually, he just couldn't throw accurately. Doesn't have the arm to deal with the swirling wind on the field.
09-18-2016 12:31 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(09-18-2016 12:22 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote:  This will be brief because I don't want to re-type all I already wrote before GD Windows decided to reconfigure itself without warning and thereby delete 10 minutes worth of work. So in a nutshell . . .

Congrats on putting a huge scare into SDSU. The game was pretty chippy but that was on both sides and DJ Pumphrey said the late hits by Huskies was just your team "being a good competitor." The officiating was horrible and since it was probably a MWC crew that's par for the course. Two penalties which come immediately to mind are the PI against your DB when it was clear our #81 Judge was the one who actually committed the infraction and the taunting call on Golladay after his TD. As the announcers showed, Pumphrey did exactly the same thing last week against Cal and the Pac-12 officials who did that game just let it go.

I think had Hare been able to play that the result could easily have been different since Graham is nothing more than a proverbial game manager and that's going to limit your team all season. However, you've earned my respect and I'll be rooting for you to win the MAC. Good luck and maybe we'll see you next year at Qualcomm.
You're right, the officiating was horrible, but maybe they were calling it tight because of the mutual trash talking and overall aggressiveness of the players.
You guys will go far with Pumphery, he's impossible to stop. Hope you guys run the table and get ranked. Good luck the rest of the season.
09-18-2016 12:31 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

Good luck the rest of the way. Lots of calls sucked and could have been ignored. Pumphrey is a good player and reminds me of how Wolfe looked busting out of piles to break long runs. We weren't wrapping up well. I was going to congratulate him on playing a good game but then I saw him talking some trash to our fans so I didn't. Good player though and he plays with emotion.

I was happy to see a lot of SDSU fans made the trip. I talked with a few of them and they seemed cool.
09-18-2016 12:39 PM
Advertisement

1st String

Before Windows decided to delete my original comments, I had mentioned that Rocky Long is obviously becoming concerned about the extent his players have been talking trash. We have a bye next week before traveling to South Alabama and because they upset us last year our players will have revenge on their minds so particularly since they upset Mississippi State this year it will be interesting to see whether our kids just take care of business or try to intimidate USA's players. Steve Fisher has always kept trash talking to a minimum and Rocky's teams haven't done much of it so I suspect the players will be told this week that they need to tone it down.

Once again, good luck and win the MAC!
09-18-2016 02:13 PM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

Pomphrey is good but Garrett Wolfe was better. He could run circles around defenders. Pomphrey took advantage of our guys' lack of tackling. He's fast but Wolfe was more Barry Sanders-like than him.
09-18-2016 06:42 PM
1st String

I honestly had no idea who you were referring to. Probably just like SDSU in Illinois, folks in SoCal don't hear much about NIU. In checking, Wolfe did put up some impressive numbers but PUmphrey is not a Barry Sanders type runner. Pump doesn't really juke people; his forte is putting his foot in the ground and changing direction on a dime and then outrunning people.
09-19-2016 01:08 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-19-2016 01:08 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote:  I honestly had no idea who you were referring to. Probably just like SDSU in Illinois, folks in SoCal don't hear much about NIU. In checking, Wolfe did put up some impressive numbers but PUmphrey is not a Barry Sanders type runner. Pump doesn't really juke people; his forte is putting his foot in the ground and changing direction on a dime and then outrunning people.

Wolfe didn't juke too much either but could change direction quickly and get up to speed quickly (he was only about 177 lbs). Also very good vision. Not super fast, but fast enough. He was great fun to watch. Ran for over 150 against Ohio State and looked good doing it. Ran for a similar number against Michigan, and even more against Northwestern (though they weren't good defensively that year).
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 04:56 PM by NIU007.)
09-19-2016 04:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.