Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does anyone have video of the targeting penalty
Bookmark and Share
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
Since my recording of the Akron Mrshall game crowded out the niu game does anyone have video of the targeting penalty so I can judge for myself. Thanks in advance.
09-18-2016 05:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
RE: Does anyone have video of the targeting penalty
They showed it right at the beginning of the broadcast when they switched over. Not the best but here ya go

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016 10:59 AM by HuskieRak.)
09-18-2016 10:59 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
His face mask went right into the guys shoulder in my opinion. He was stepping up in the pocket which changed his trajectory. I think that was a bad call. The kid wasn't targeting the QBs head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-18-2016 11:01 AM
TheLongOne Offline
Water Engineer

When they finally switched over to our game, they did a recap of what happened previously, which included a quick replay of the hit in question. Should be on your recording, but blink and you could miss it.
09-18-2016 11:01 AM
NILAW Offline

(09-18-2016 11:01 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  His face mask went right into the guys shoulder in my opinion. He was stepping up in the pocket which changed his trajectory. I think that was a bad call. The kid wasn't targeting the QBs head

I agree; merely a high tackle and not targeting just as I thought when the play happened.
09-18-2016 11:04 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

Yup. They reviewed it afterwards as well and upheld it and kicked Sanders out of the game. Just don't understand how they can say without a doubt he was head hunting and end the game for a player like that after seeing a replay. If it was a bang bang call with no replay I couldn't understand it, but not after getting to see it in slow mo

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016 11:07 AM by NIU32.)
09-18-2016 11:06 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-18-2016 11:06 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  Yup. They reviewed it afterwards as well and upheld it and kicked Sanders out of the game. Just don't understand how they can say without a doubt he was head hunting and end the game for a player like that after seeing a replay. If it was a bang bang call with no replay I couldn't understand it, but not after getting to see it in slow mo

Yea, I thought in real time that the QB was hit high in the chest, definitely not head hunting and a bad call. It's even worse that they reviewed it and didn't notice that. I think they just saw what they expected to see rather than what was in front of them. Terrible.
09-18-2016 11:14 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

Yeah, pretty bad. He came around the corner, there's not even really time to "target", it's see QB, hit QB. And he walked right into it.

The Dline had good penetration all day (even without Sanders), that's a positive.

The amount of flags was insane yesterday. On both sides.
09-18-2016 11:51 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-18-2016 11:51 AM)17Huskies Wrote:  The amount of flags was insane yesterday. On both sides.

The officiating seemed horrendous
09-18-2016 12:07 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

That's an awful call.

You could have thrown out a guy in every game played yesterday.....
09-18-2016 12:17 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

That was a horrible call in my opinion and officiating was horrible all game. A similar play against SDSU later in the game was simply roughing and no targeting. Sanders did not target the head, he didn't launch, and he was wrapping up the qb. These refs should be sanctioned for how bad they were. They took ruining the flow of the game. A phantom taunting against Galloday after a td. Then another one after a huge stop on 3rd down. I didn't see what the taunting was there. Bad calls that shouldn't have been penalties.
09-18-2016 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Striker2388 Offline
Water Engineer

They tell defenders to never lower your head when tackling. Poor kid does exactly as he's taught, and gets penalized for it. Awful
09-18-2016 12:35 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-18-2016 12:32 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  That was a horrible call in my opinion and officiating was horrible all game. A similar play against SDSU later in the game was simply roughing and no targeting. Sanders did not target the head, he didn't launch, and he was wrapping up the qb. These refs should be sanctioned for how bad they were. They took ruining the flow of the game. A phantom taunting against Galloday after a td. Then another one after a huge stop on 3rd down. I didn't see what the taunting was there. Bad calls that shouldn't have been penalties.

Jones IV, who played like a beast yesterday, ran up to Pomphrey or #20 rb and stood over him and bent over and clapped right in his face. I know this is an emotional game and that wasn't over the top, but how hard is it to make a great play and celebrate with your teammates or run to the sidelines and celebrate there. They all know there's a good chance you'll be flagged. We really gave them several chances when we had them stopped. I like how fired up the D was today, but stop the stupid crap after a play.
09-18-2016 01:44 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-18-2016 12:35 PM)Striker2388 Wrote:  They tell defenders to never lower your head when tackling. Poor kid does exactly as he's taught, and gets penalized for it. Awful

When I saw replay, I think the reason they called it was because he stepped into our guy and the hit made his head snap back because of the impact. Still a bad call if he had his head up and original hit was in the chest.
09-18-2016 01:46 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
On the post game interview, Carey said it was the correct call. And that they teach "QB duck" when tackling the QB.
09-18-2016 01:49 PM
NILAW Offline

(09-18-2016 01:44 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 12:32 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  That was a horrible call in my opinion and officiating was horrible all game. A similar play against SDSU later in the game was simply roughing and no targeting. Sanders did not target the head, he didn't launch, and he was wrapping up the qb. These refs should be sanctioned for how bad they were. They took ruining the flow of the game. A phantom taunting against Galloday after a td. Then another one after a huge stop on 3rd down. I didn't see what the taunting was there. Bad calls that shouldn't have been penalties.

Jones IV, who played like a beast yesterday, ran up to Pomphrey or #20 rb and stood over him and bent over and clapped right in his face. I know this is an emotional game and that wasn't over the top, but how hard is it to make a great play and celebrate with your teammates or run to the sidelines and celebrate there. They all know there's a good chance you'll be flagged. We really gave them several chances when we had them stopped. I like how fired up the D was today, but stop the stupid crap after a play.

Agreed; the players have to be aware when the refs are going to flag close calls and adjust accordingly.
09-18-2016 01:58 PM
Advertisement

randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

15 yards..."maybe". Disqualify, if it is still the same rules, absolutely not. And the flag wasn't even thrown I don't think until # 71 got in refs face.

The taunting penalty may have been the worst 15 yard unsportsmanlike I ever saw. The guy went backwards, was in no one's face, no fans in that endzone. Was 3rd down and he then ran off field. Absolutely horrible.

And twice they called penalties on wrong team, then had to change.
It was bad both ways too, but I think NIU, while somewhat undisciplined on a couple calls, I never seen a team get like 5 unsportsmanlikes, a couple on same drive.

That crew was really bad.
09-18-2016 02:33 PM
142niu Offline
Special Teams

Thats just a good play. Too bad for Sanders
09-18-2016 02:35 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(09-18-2016 01:58 PM)NILAW Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 01:44 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  

Agreed; the players have to be aware when the refs are going to flag close calls and adjust accordingly.

Ok. Didn't see that. Completely unnecessary. Why risk a penalty in that situation. We had some emotional break downs including Lurry waking off the field after drawing a penalty. We seem to be a very undisciplined team which has to be improved by coaches and players.
09-18-2016 03:49 PM
westernwilly Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army
(09-18-2016 10:59 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  They showed it right at the beginning of the broadcast when they switched over. Not the best but here ya go

From what I can see in that video, I cannot see how anyone could have interpreted that as targeting.

Did their helmets even hit each other?
Traditional views of targeting are with a player lowering head and leading with the crown of the helmet. I did not see anything that looked like that.
09-18-2016 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.