ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How have we fallen so far behind?
ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
I literally spent three years ripping the GA State fb team and support and they played it tight with Wisconsin today. We couldn't hang with a low level ACC team. Passed by App State, GA State, and maybe South Alabama? Unbelievable.
09-17-2016 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
It's not just our football team, it's our entire athletic program.
09-17-2016 09:18 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

RE: How have we fallen so far behind?
This. We have gotten to the point where half of our diehards don't even get upset with the fact that we aren't competing at the top of CUSA in any sports that people pay attention to. Wood needs to be on the hot seat.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
09-17-2016 10:14 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

Where was WKU with Selig? Where are they without Selig? Just an observation.
09-17-2016 10:23 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

To me, three sports matter: football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Football is in a competitive decline; some kind of change is starting to look inevitable. Men's basketball looks promising in the near future. Women's basketball needs a new coach and a new direction.

Wood inherited very good to excellent men's soccer, field hockey, and wrestling programs. Each are still doing well.

#1 thing the AD needs to be focused on is getting ODU removed from CUSA and not headed towards any similar situation. ODU's conference affiliation will be what many will judge this adminstration actions by. The matchups are awful, the conference has too many months to feed, it's too spread out, and suffers from poor management.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 10:49 PM by monarchman.)
09-17-2016 10:40 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(09-17-2016 09:04 PM)ODU Hoops Wrote:  I literally spent three years ripping the GA State fb team and support and they played it tight with Wisconsin today. We couldn't hang with a low level ACC team. Passed by App State, GA State, and maybe South Alabama? Unbelievable.
Hang in there guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
09-17-2016 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
Hardly passed by Georgia State. Let's remember, this was their best game in school history -- and it was still a loss. An L in the book is an L in the book.

We make a bowl last year if we're in the Sun Belt.

App State has decades of tradition to hang its hat on. They were ahead of us, even though we came in hot when they had a bit of a "down" stretch (for them).
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016 12:02 AM by ODUwildman.)
09-18-2016 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
odu96 Offline
Water Engineer

I agree with you Wildman to some extent but...

This football program has been given every advantage to strengthen its program at a rate much faster than most startup programs.

Outstanding fan support, FBS invite, excellent facilities, fairly mediocre conference to easily compete in, fledgling programs throughout the remainder of the state and a hotbed of talent in its backyard.

Oh and an NFL caliber quarterback in the programs infancy fell into its lap. This should have helped sustain excellence far after TH left.

If we were going out and improving each season, if we had good fundamentals like a solid kicking team, tackling well, not failing on our next QB of the future, seeing recruiting actively stepping it up a caliber or two, seeing solid in-game coaching (and not stuff you choose to do on X-box Yourself), then folks would be more patient. I think what people are frustrated by is clearly seeing all of the momentum that has been here for the football program is beginning to diminish. Momentum is difficult to retain once lost.

And it couldn't be at a worse time, primarily with the opportunity to potentially step up to another conference. I am not saying Wilder should be fired as I agree it doesn't feel right; however, I would also say I am not optimistic he is going to continue to move the program progressively forward.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.
09-18-2016 12:28 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(09-17-2016 10:40 PM)monarchman Wrote:  To me, three sports matter: football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Football is in a competitive decline; some kind of change is starting to look inevitable. Men's basketball looks promising in the near future. Women's basketball needs a new coach and a new direction.

Wood inherited very good to excellent men's soccer, field hockey, and wrestling programs. Each are still doing well.

#1 thing the AD needs to be focused on is getting ODU removed from CUSA and not headed towards any similar situation. ODU's conference affiliation will be what many will judge this adminstration actions by. The matchups are awful, the conference has too many months to feed, it's too spread out, and suffers from poor management.

And what conference should our AD focus on getting us into? Let's assume you want the AAC. We won't get an invite with a subpar football program.

You want us in a better conference you have two options:
1) drop football and hope for an invite to the A-10
2) drop back to FCS. Our football program isnt going to get us into a quality conference
09-18-2016 01:59 AM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
(09-18-2016 01:59 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(09-17-2016 10:40 PM)monarchman Wrote:  To me, three sports matter: football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Football is in a competitive decline; some kind of change is starting to look inevitable. Men's basketball looks promising in the near future. Women's basketball needs a new coach and a new direction.

And what conference should our AD focus on getting us into? Let's assume you want the AAC. We won't get an invite with a subpar football program.

2) drop back to FCS. Our football program isnt going to get us into a quality conference

Tulane got in with their terrible football program.
09-18-2016 03:31 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

It's wood selig......it's always been wood selig.

Aim for mediocrity is the real odu slogan and the results under him show exactly that.
09-18-2016 05:19 AM
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(09-18-2016 03:31 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 01:59 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Tulane got in with their terrible football program.

Tulane got into the "old" Big East. And I think their academic reputation had a lot to do with it
09-18-2016 06:42 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

I think the football team has made progress from last year, albeit small strides. We are coming off two very difficult road games. Had the games been at ODU, I think they both would have been closer. Last year I felt both App State and NC State beat us more handily at home.

As for men's basketball, I don't think they will be nearly as good next year. I just don't see it. I think they will be good defensively and rebounding-wise, but won't be able to score enough points to compete with good teams. I really hope I'm wrong.
09-18-2016 06:59 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-18-2016 12:28 AM)odu96 Wrote:  I agree with you Wildman to some extent but...

This football program has been given every advantage to strengthen its program at a rate much faster than most startup programs.

Outstanding fan support, FBS invite, excellent facilities, fairly mediocre conference to easily compete in, fledgling programs throughout the remainder of the state and a hotbed of talent in its backyard.

Oh and an NFL caliber quarterback in the programs infancy fell into its lap. This should have helped sustain excellence far after TH left.

If we were going out and improving each season, if we had good fundamentals like a solid kicking team, tackling well, not failing on our next QB of the future, seeing recruiting actively stepping it up a caliber or two, seeing solid in-game coaching (and not stuff you choose to do on X-box Yourself), then folks would be more patient. I think what people are frustrated by is clearly seeing all of the momentum that has been here for the football program is beginning to diminish. Momentum is difficult to retain once lost.

And it couldn't be at a worse time, primarily with the opportunity to potentially step up to another conference. I am not saying Wilder should be fired as I agree it doesn't feel right; however, I would also say I am not optimistic he is going to continue to move the program progressively forward.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.

You and everyone else are living in a rose colored glass world if you think we have OUTSTANDING fan support. Our fan base is horrible. They don't get to the games on time before kick off, we have to essentially give away tickets, there is no pride in wearing the school colors, the stands are generally half full after half time by the 4th quarter probably 1/3 full, the students barely get to the game and don't stay either. We have a LONG way to go to have an OUTSTANDING fan base.

We are behind because of one reason....our coaches can't sell the University because of a variety of reasons and I think most know what they are. We started off great because there was a vision of a new program and kids could write history....today there is nothing. Everyone can jump all over me but I bet if you took out the corporate sales of tickets, we could not even sell 8k season tickets to Alum and that is a shame.
09-18-2016 08:03 AM
ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

I agree we don't have outstanding fan support. To be fair I'm not the best fan either, I only make a few games a year due to other commitments.

I am concerned that if Wood Selig needs to be removed from his position that John Broderick wouldn't do it. Aren't they pretty tight?
09-18-2016 08:25 AM
mac Offline
All American

Yep.

Needed a car dealer come in at the last second and buy up all the remaining season tickets this season just so they can claim to have sold out season tickets again. Guess another way to look at it is, it's good to have someone to do that I guess.

As for basketball. I think we will be really good next season. Coach Jones sounds really excited.
09-18-2016 08:29 AM
Advertisement

SettleDownFolks Offline
Bench Warmer

We don't have outstanding facilities yet. Players were told we would have a new stadium on the water and it isn't happening. Believe it or not players like nice stadiums and not nostalgic ones.

Sent from my SM-G935V using CSNbbs mobile app
09-18-2016 08:34 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

The old adage of you have to spend money to make money holds so true today especially at ODU. We need more dorms badly....any being built ? Nope ! We need a new stadium well before 2019. We need more money spent on marketing and that is certainly not happening. We need more money spent on creating a buffer around campus and that is not happening. Finally, we must invest money in changing the image of the University because good highly engaged students are choosing to go elsewhere.
09-18-2016 09:09 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

It's easy to say we just need to spend more money. The question is are they doing a good job with the money they have to spend. The one thing I would have liked to see was a better stadium plan. But it appears that the budget for that was greatly reduced from the original plan.
09-18-2016 09:30 AM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Anyone who thinks ODU has outstanding facilities would do well to stop closing their eyes when walking into our football games.

But our biggest challenge is inspiring youngsters to want to be a Monarch for 4 years. We just have done nothing to create an exciting COLLEGE environment. And while many blame the students, I think they ignore a much larger elephant in the room.

Doesn't matter though. Recruits (and our supporting students) are speaking in football and basketball despite the great reporting of the future stadium, practice facility, and high luxury/low volume sellouts in the Pilot.

Football will be ok. These last 2 losses were expected. I hoped we'd play better than expected though. Really gotta get next week now.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016 09:41 AM by FearTheLion.)
09-18-2016 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.