Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did the NBA/NCAA Attack on North Carolina Just Backfire?
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Did the NBA/NCAA Attack on North Carolina Just Backfire?
A new Civitas poll shows an astonishing turnaround for the courageous North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory — a 9-point swing now putting him up two points after being down seven in the last poll.

As the sports-entertainment complex seeks to shame good, loving people in North Carolina who object to permitting transgender biological males to freely invade the privacy of girls in public school showers by dubbing them haters and bigots unworthy of being treated like any other American state, it looks like the overkill may be provoking a swing in McCrory’s favor.

http://thepulse2016.com/maggie-gallagher...-backfire/
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 02:15 AM by ODU BLUE.)
09-16-2016 02:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: Did the NBA/NCAA Attack on North Carolina Just Backfire?

09-16-2016 02:48 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Uh, isn't civitas controlled by the architect of hb2, Art Pope?
09-16-2016 02:50 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Won't be reflected in the polls yet but will be interesting to see them in the next few weeks. I think these events being pulled won't away anyone in either side. Trenches have been dug

Sent from my LG-D850 using CSNbbs mobile app
09-16-2016 06:51 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
The NCAA is indeed being partially hypocritical, but the problem is more complex than many people seem to think. The NCAA called out 4 parts of NC HB2 that they have issues with:
  • North Carolina has the only statewide law that makes it unlawful to use a restroom different from the gender on one’s birth certificate, regardless of gender identity.

This is where it's easy to point a finger at the NCAA and call them hypocrites, because their own rules do not allow men who identify as women to compete on women's teams:

Quote:NCAA Policy on Transgender Student-Athlete Participation

The following policies clarify participation of transgender student-athletes undergoing hormonal treatment for gender transition:

1. A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team.

2. A trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment

Any transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatment related to gender transition may participate in sex-separated sports activities in accordance with his or her assigned birth gender.

• A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who is not taking testosterone related to gender transition may participate on a men’s or women’s team.
• A trans female (MTF) transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatments related to gender transition may not compete on a women’s team.

But the other points they call out are harder to dispute, and are the real problem with HB2, and never seem to be addressed by supporters of the bill that ONLY EVER TALK ABOUT PREDATORS ATTACKING YOUR SWEET 7-YEAR OLD NIECE IN A PUBLIC RESTROOM AS IF A LAW IS GOING TO STOP CHILD PREDATORS.
  • North Carolina laws invalidate any local law that treats sexual orientation as a protected class or has a purpose to prevent discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender individuals.
  • North Carolina law provides legal protections for government officials to refuse services to the LGBT community.

The above two reasons that the NCAA give for moving the championships away from NC highlight why some people like me - who have no problem with the bathroom portion of the bill (even though it's frivolous and not really enforceable) - do not like HB2 and want to see it repealed.

The last item...
  • Five states plus numerous cities prohibit travel to North Carolina for public employees and representatives of public institutions, which could include student-athletes and campus athletics staff. These states are New York, Minnesota, Washington, Vermont and Connecticut.

...probable isn't that big of a deal, because winning is above all else, so schools will find workarounds for it.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 07:08 AM by Chappy.)
09-16-2016 07:06 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-16-2016 07:06 AM)Chappy Wrote:  The NCAA is indeed being partially hypocritical, but the problem is more complex than many people seem to think. The NCAA called out 4 parts of NC HB2 that they have issues with:
  • North Carolina has the only statewide law that makes it unlawful to use a restroom different from the gender on one’s birth certificate, regardless of gender identity.

This is where it's easy to point a finger at the NCAA and call them hypocrites, because their own rules do not allow men who identify as women to compete on women's teams:

Quote:NCAA Policy on Transgender Student-Athlete Participation

The following policies clarify participation of transgender student-athletes undergoing hormonal treatment for gender transition:

1. A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team.

2. A trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment

Any transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatment related to gender transition may participate in sex-separated sports activities in accordance with his or her assigned birth gender.

• A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who is not taking testosterone related to gender transition may participate on a men’s or women’s team.
• A trans female (MTF) transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatments related to gender transition may not compete on a women’s team.

But the other points they call out are harder to dispute, and are the real problem with HB2, and never seem to be addressed by supporters of the bill that ONLY EVER TALK ABOUT PREDATORS ATTACKING YOUR SWEET 7-YEAR OLD NIECE IN A PUBLIC RESTROOM AS IF A LAW IS GOING TO STOP CHILD PREDATORS.
  • North Carolina laws invalidate any local law that treats sexual orientation as a protected class or has a purpose to prevent discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender individuals.
  • North Carolina law provides legal protections for government officials to refuse services to the LGBT community.

The above two reasons that the NCAA give for moving the championships away from NC highlight why some people like me - who have no problem with the bathroom portion of the bill (even though it's frivolous and not really enforceable) - do not like HB2 and want to see it repealed.

The last item...
  • Five states plus numerous cities prohibit travel to North Carolina for public employees and representatives of public institutions, which could include student-athletes and campus athletics staff. These states are New York, Minnesota, Washington, Vermont and Connecticut.

...probable isn't that big of a deal, because winning is above all else, so schools will find workarounds for it.

There is no federal law creating them as a protected class.

For the 2nd, its freedom of religion. As long as North Carolina is not allowing that to diminish the level of service and it only involves gay weddings and not individuals, then its simply NC providing a balance.

As for the travel, that is the problem of the schools in the states doing the boycott. Personally I would love to see a bunch of states boycott locations doing boycotts. I wonder how long New York and San Francisco would continue boycotts if it started costing them convention business. Its really detrimental to the whole idea of a United States with interstate commerce.

And ultimately, it is involving the NCAA in politics and morality. Morality is not something the NCAA cares about, so we all know its only about politics.
09-16-2016 07:37 AM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(09-16-2016 02:50 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Uh, isn't civitas controlled by the architect of hb2, Art Pope?

I thought it was Putin.
09-16-2016 07:51 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
I originally read this...

Quote:As the sports-entertainment complex seeks to shame good

as this...

Quote:As the sports-entertainment complex seeks to shame God
09-16-2016 08:17 AM
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(09-16-2016 07:51 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(09-16-2016 02:50 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Uh, isn't civitas controlled by the architect of hb2, Art Pope?

I thought it was Putin.

Slam Dunk! Soros Funds 3 Out of 4 Final Four Schools

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/joseph-...ur-schools

While Soros likely won’t care which school wins March Madness, he bet millions of dollars that three of the schools in Final Four would play their part in promoting his liberal views. Soros contributed a combined $2,271,397 to University of Wisconsin, Duke University, and Michigan State University from 2000 through 2013 through his Open Society Foundations.
09-16-2016 08:57 AM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina

It's conservative leaning, but so is NC. Next week's polls will tell the tale.
09-16-2016 09:09 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
The NCAA certainly wasn't able to get South Carolina to take down the confederate battle flag. It took a crazy white guy shooting up a bunch of blacks in a black church for that to finally come down.

Losing these events hurts, but it absolutely won't change any minds. It just makes the already bitter people who hate that their country is being "taken away from them" even more bitter and entrenched.
09-16-2016 09:34 AM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(09-16-2016 09:34 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  The NCAA certainly wasn't able to get South Carolina to take down the confederate battle flag. It took a crazy white guy shooting up a bunch of blacks in a black church for that to finally come down.

Losing these events hurts, but it absolutely won't change any minds. It just makes the already bitter people who hate that their country is being "taken away from them" even more bitter and entrenched.

Yeah but NC has far more to lose than SC given how strong of a history they have with hosting athletic events.
09-16-2016 09:46 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
North Carolina will be a blue state in within the next two cycles.
09-16-2016 09:53 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
By the way ODU, your link doesn't seem to jive with the actual Civitas website's number. They've had McCrory in the lead since June.

https://www.nccivitas.org/2016/new-civit...dead-heat/
09-16-2016 10:06 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Check out Target's stock. That tells you all you need to know about how this will go down.
09-16-2016 10:31 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
It's up over the last 3mo. Sounds good.
09-16-2016 10:43 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I just want the events back.
09-16-2016 10:45 AM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
North Carolina should sue the NCAA. They would win.
09-16-2016 10:50 AM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(09-16-2016 09:34 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  The NCAA certainly wasn't able to get South Carolina to take down the confederate battle flag. It took a crazy white guy shooting up a bunch of blacks in a black church for that to finally come down.

You bet your sweet bippy. No one likes to be bullied into something that they consider wrong. Not even Libturds.
09-16-2016 10:52 AM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(09-16-2016 10:45 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I just want the events back.

Well then tell the NCAA and the ACC that their bigotry and blatant hypocrisy will not be tolerated any longer.
09-16-2016 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.