Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holy Cross to replace Notre Dame in Hockey East?
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Holy Cross to replace Notre Dame in Hockey East?
http://www.uscho.com/2016/09/14/report-h...ckey-east/

Holy Cross hockey would switch arenas to play games in Worcester's DCU Center and upgrade their women's schedule and scholarships. AHA already has announced it would allow 18 scholarships, so the men's team would not necessarily see a big increase in expenses except rental. Worcester doesn't have a Hockey East team, so in that respect it seems like a good move for Hockey East.

Thought Quinnipiac was more likely, but Bentley is building a new arena.

The puck in now in Atlantic Hockey's end.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2016 09:25 PM by NoDak.)
09-14-2016 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Holy Cross to replace Notre Dame in Hockey East?
I guess HE wants bottom feeders so the BC's and BU's can feel better about themselves.
09-14-2016 09:26 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

Ok with it if true. Would have preferred Quinnipiac though.
09-14-2016 09:27 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-14-2016 09:26 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  I guess HE wants bottom feeders so the BC's and BU's can feel better about themselves.
UNH, Maine, and Vermont have really fallen though. UMass doesn't seem to do much.

It up to UCONN, Providence, and UM-Lowell to keep up with the Bostons.
09-14-2016 09:31 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(09-14-2016 09:31 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 09:26 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  I guess HE wants bottom feeders so the BC's and BU's can feel better about themselves.
UNH, Maine, and Vermont have really fallen though. UMass doesn't seem to do much.

Ryan Bamford is a very good AD and fired both the Hockey and Women's BB coaches. Very serious about hockey and like Greg Carver. Listen to him speak and it's a major rebuild. Believe he is the right man for the job and has success in this year's recruiting. Ryan Bamford handle this hire from start to finish.
Coach Carver's bio

Back to Holy Cross, will be interesting, who gets the spot.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 08:24 PM by Steve1981.)
09-14-2016 09:55 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

Unless Quinnipiac didn't want to leave the Ivy's, why is anyone okay with Holy Cross and not the Bobcats?
09-14-2016 10:13 PM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(09-14-2016 09:31 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

I guess I should've said more bottom feeders.
09-14-2016 10:14 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-14-2016 10:26 PM)sportsrankings Wrote:  Who would have the worse rink in AHA ?

AIC moved to AHL Arena, Bentley is building a new rink

Niagara?

Sacred Heart doesn't look like it has a good rink: only seats 1000. But they can play in another Bridgeport arena.

Robert Morris has a rink that only seats 1400.

Assuming that Liberty would like to join as they just made a big upgrade in their rink. URI may also be a future member, as they have a decent on campus rink. URI could be a potential add for Hockey East, but it would be a very long shot.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2016 10:44 PM by NoDak.)
09-14-2016 10:39 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
Below is a short thread on the Holy Cross fan site. A reputable Crusader fan wrote that talks between Hockey East and the Cross are much farther along than the article implies. USCHO picked up the story from a Worcester Telegram article.

http://crossports.freeforums.net/thread/...t-dcu-news

The candidates most likely are the foursome of Quinnipiac, Holy Cross, Union and RPI. Being in Albany and a little bit of a hike from Boston probably hurt Union's and RPI's chances.

Quinnipiac has been fantastic but Holy Cross despite not much success has some things in its favor:
- Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England.
- it's centrally located and easy to get to.
- 30 minutes from Boston and Providence, and 45 from Hartford CT and Manchester NH.
- the DCU Center (this is the Worcester Centrum) seats 10k+ and has had recent renovations.
- the DCU Center has been vacant after losing its AHL (the Triple-A of the NHL) team recently... and though an ECHL team is planning on moving in, off the top of my head i don't know what level that is in the minors.
- Holy Cross had hired a new AD who is committed to upgrading their athletics and has implied that he's looking to move the Cross up in hoops too.
- The Cross has a longtime history with most HE schools, with BC being their biggest historic rival, and PC being close behind. Their upside and room to improve is pretty good.

Anyway, i have no problem with Holy Cross. It'll be easier to get to Friars road games compared to Quinnipiac.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 02:47 AM by billyjack.)
09-15-2016 02:42 AM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
Hockey East is actually not an obvious upgrade over ECAC Hockey. It made sense for Vermont to change conferences in 2005 since that move put them into the conference with the rest of the New England flagships. Everybody else who's still in the ECAC generally likes to associate with one another. Every single one of them is a private school. Six of them are Ivies, one's in the Patriot League, four of them are in the D-III Liberty League together, and then Quinnipiac got that 12th golden ticket. The Q values its regional rivalry with Yale, its association with the Ivies and the rest of those schools, and the chance to get out into a bit wider of a geographic footprint for conference games. The conference tournament at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid is a selling point to hockey recruits. The ECAC is viable in this post-NCHC/B1G era, since conference members have won a national championship and gotten multiple Frozen Four appearances in recent years. Obviously BC and BU are elite programs, but it's not really advantageous to try to compete with them for the limited number of NCAA tourney bids.

Bentley's new arena is a few thousand seats short of Hockey East's usual requirements, so unless they plan to bend their rules, that's probably just a program that's going to try to compete harder within Atlantic Hockey.

Holy Cross makes sense if they want it.
09-15-2016 09:16 AM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(09-15-2016 09:16 AM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  Hockey East is actually not an obvious upgrade over ECAC Hockey. It made sense for Vermont to change conferences in 2005 since that move put them into the conference with the rest of the New England flagships. Everybody else who's still in the ECAC generally likes to associate with one another. Every single one of them is a private school. Six of them are Ivies, one's in the Patriot League, four of them are in the D-III Liberty League together, and then Quinnipiac got that 12th golden ticket. The Q values its regional rivalry with Yale, its association with the Ivies and the rest of those schools, and the chance to get out into a bit wider of a geographic footprint for conference games. The conference tournament at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid is a selling point to hockey recruits. The ECAC is viable in this post-NCHC/B1G era, since conference members have won a national championship and gotten multiple Frozen Four appearances in recent years. Obviously BC and BU are elite programs, but it's not really advantageous to try to compete with them for the limited number of NCAA tourney bids.

Bentley's new arena is a few thousand seats short of Hockey East's usual requirements, so unless they plan to bend their rules, that's probably just a program that's going to try to compete harder within Atlantic Hockey.

Believe me it's big enough for Holy Cross who on the sports side have messed things up big time ever since they balked on joining the Big East when it was first created and have been mostly irrelevant since.
09-15-2016 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(09-15-2016 09:29 AM)wildthing202 Wrote:  
(09-15-2016 09:16 AM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  Hockey East is actually not an obvious upgrade over ECAC Hockey. It made sense for Vermont to change conferences in 2005 since that move put them into the conference with the rest of the New England flagships. Everybody else who's still in the ECAC generally likes to associate with one another. Every single one of them is a private school. Six of them are Ivies, one's in the Patriot League, four of them are in the D-III Liberty League together, and then Quinnipiac got that 12th golden ticket. The Q values its regional rivalry with Yale, its association with the Ivies and the rest of those schools, and the chance to get out into a bit wider of a geographic footprint for conference games. The conference tournament at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid is a selling point to hockey recruits. The ECAC is viable in this post-NCHC/B1G era, since conference members have won a national championship and gotten multiple Frozen Four appearances in recent years. Obviously BC and BU are elite programs, but it's not really advantageous to try to compete with them for the limited number of NCAA tourney bids.

Believe me it's big enough for Holy Cross who on the sports side have messed things up big time ever since they balked on joining the Big East when it was first created and have been mostly irrelevant since.

The decision by Holy Cross to decline the opportunity to become a founding member of the Big East is what opened the door for UConn to become a founding member of the Big East. That is the only reason that a large state school like UConn was under consideration by the other original members (seeing as the other original Big East members were mostly smaller private Catholic schools).

As they say, the rest is history. There would have been no Jim Calhoun, no Geno Auriemma, and no Kevin Ollie winning national titles in basketball at UConn had it not been for that decision. Thank you, Holy Cross!!!!!
09-15-2016 09:59 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Why wouldn't HC go to the ECAC, and Hockey East take one of their better teams -- particularly one that doesn't quite fit the ultra-academic mission of many of its members??
09-15-2016 10:04 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Also didn't realize that Worcester was so centrally located in MA. Was thinking it was on the outside of Boston, more like Lowell.

Decent sized county too. Seems like successful Holy Cross teams would have been well supported. Perhaps could've been a rival to Boston College.

What could have been ...
09-15-2016 10:07 AM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(09-15-2016 10:07 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Also didn't realize that Worcester was so centrally located in MA. Was thinking it was on the outside of Boston, more like Lowell.

Decent sized county too. Seems like successful Holy Cross teams would have been well supported. Perhaps could've been a rival to Boston College.

What could have been ...

UConn for the Big East made more sense (especially in retrospect). Hartford county is a larger population county than Worcester county and UConn brought a new television market (the #30 market, in addition to bringing part of the #1 NYC market) instead of duplicating the Boston market.

I would say that UConn was a rival to Boston College, but when you beat a team like Boston College 25 times in a row in basketball like UConn did, it isn't much of a rivalry.
05-stirthepot
09-15-2016 10:16 AM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(09-15-2016 10:07 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Also didn't realize that Worcester was so centrally located in MA. Was thinking it was on the outside of Boston, more like Lowell.

What could have been ...

Although you may have just meant for hockey. Holy Cross and BC would have been AWESOME rivals in hockey for all those years!
09-15-2016 10:19 AM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

That's why I think if Quinnipiac is out of consideration it's because they don't want to leave the Ivy's, specifically Yale. During the Hero's Hat game, the announcers always tell the story of Yale being instrumental in getting the Bobcats into the ECAC. I think Quinnipiac values that over the prestige of HE, IMO.
09-15-2016 10:26 AM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

(09-15-2016 10:04 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Why wouldn't HC go to the ECAC, and Hockey East take one of their better teams -- particularly one that doesn't quite fit the ultra-academic mission of many of its members??

Because Hockey East can't "take" a team that doesn't want to go. ECAC is stable. That being said, I do believe that Holy Cross was on the short list when ECAC did add Quinnipiac, and if there was an opening, they probably would be again.
09-15-2016 10:36 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Yeah, and so wouldn't it make sense for HC to go to the ECAC? They have one other Patriot team in Colgate, plus the Ivy peers.

Obviously HC is never going to be a rival to Boston C/U, at this point.

Granted new Patriot member Northeastern is also in HE. Maybe they should also go ECAC, and send two ECAC teams over to AH?
09-15-2016 10:39 AM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

(09-15-2016 10:39 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Yeah, and so wouldn't it make sense for HC to go to the ECAC? They have one other Patriot team in Colgate, plus the Ivy peers.

Obviously HC is never going to be a rival to Boston C/U, at this point.

Granted new Patriot member Northeastern is also in HE. Maybe they should also go ECAC, and send two ECAC teams over to AH?

Northeastern is in the Colonial. BU is the one that moved to the Patriot.

But I guess I may have oversold the idea that all-sports conference affiliation matters for hockey conference affiliation, which it doesn't really. Obviously there are sport-specific criteria that are more important. I was just trying to paint the picture that these are fairly like-minded institutions. The ECAC still won't send two members over. There isn't anybody who is likely to want to go.
09-15-2016 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.