Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Cord Cutters
Bookmark and Share
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Cord Cutters
Has anybody cut the cord and, if so, are you satisfied?

What's your set-up?

Any channels you miss?

Thanks for any input. I'm trying to cut the cord but research is going a bit slow.
09-14-2016 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
RE: Cord Cutters
I haven't, but I'm interested. I watch news and sports. Local news is free, so I'm paying $130 a month for the occasional game. Seems crazy. Just need to figure the sports thing out.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2016 09:10 PM by georgiatiger.)
09-14-2016 09:09 PM
neillis Offline
We all fell in the pit.

I Root For: Insert Team
I cut the cord a year ago and haven't looked back. Granted, I have to use opp (other people's passwords) but I don't miss much. I certainly am missing getting to watch Documentary Now! on IFC tonight.
09-14-2016 09:14 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
I've got Apple TV. If I use a password for someone else's ESPN, I'm good?
09-14-2016 10:13 PM
RandyMc Offline
Reverend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Cord cutting but using someone else's password to watch stuff reminds me of Thoreau living the simple life on Walden's Pond, seeking introspective, Spartan wisdom yet regularly visiting Emerson's home for dinner.

I think cord cutting is like Tiny Homes. It's nice until you get sick of it after a year or two, remembering that to which you were accustomed. A weekend at the lake but lousy every day.
09-14-2016 11:20 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
I thought this was about obstetricians.
09-14-2016 11:41 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I just cut the cord again and so far so good. I have a Roku and Apple TV with Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu Plus.

Hulu has really come a long way. The interface is great now and the quality is good. If you are willing to wait a day to watch your show you are good.

Sports is the problem. I do miss NFL sunday ticket but you can get SlingTV and get ESPN as well as other sports channels.

https://www.sling.com/

I'll see how I do in the coming weeks but I may be getting a slingTV subscription.

I have an over the air antenna for local channels and it works great. Just make sure you get an omnidirectional if you live in Memphis. You don't really need an attic or outside mount one here. I just got this one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZD5MUM/ref...UTF8&psc=1

I set this up next to the window in the room with the TV.
09-15-2016 06:59 AM
neillis Offline
We all fell in the pit.

(09-14-2016 11:20 PM)RandyMc Wrote:  Cord cutting but using someone else's password to watch stuff reminds me of Thoreau living the simple life on Walden's Pond, seeking introspective, Spartan wisdom yet regularly visiting Emerson's home for dinner.

Yea but Thoreau's mortgage payment didn't nearly double after the first year and Walden Pond didn't turn to a black screen any time thick cloud cover rolled through the area.
09-15-2016 08:12 AM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(09-15-2016 06:59 AM)JTiger Wrote:  I just cut the cord again and so far so good. I have a Roku and Apple TV with Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu Plus.

Hulu has really come a long way. The interface is great now and the quality is good. If you are willing to wait a day to watch your show you are good.

Sports is the problem. I do miss NFL sunday ticket but you can get SlingTV and get ESPN as well as other sports channels.

I'll see how I do in the coming weeks but I may be getting a slingTV subscription.

I have an over the air antenna for local channels and it works great. Just make sure you get an omnidirectional if you live in Memphis. You don't really need an attic or outside mount one here. I just got this one and it works great.

J, we have a similar setup and LOVE it...roku player, Sling TV, Hulu and Amazon Prime give us more programming than we know what to do with.

Does that omnidirectional antenna pick up WMC-TV 5? That's the only local channel we have issues picking up where we live in Gtown.
09-15-2016 09:00 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(09-14-2016 09:14 PM)neillis Wrote:  I cut the cord a year ago and haven't looked back. Granted, I have to use opp (other people's passwords) but I don't miss much. I certainly am missing getting to watch Documentary Now! on IFC tonight.

You gonna disclose that on your character and fitness application?

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/11/cour...s-illegal/
09-15-2016 09:45 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(09-15-2016 09:00 AM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  
(09-15-2016 06:59 AM)JTiger Wrote:  I just cut the cord again and so far so good. I have a Roku and Apple TV with Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu Plus.

J, we have a similar setup and LOVE it...roku player, Sling TV, Hulu and Amazon Prime give us more programming than we know what to do with.

Does that omnidirectional antenna pick up WMC-TV 5? That's the only local channel we have issues picking up where we live in Gtown.

That all seems so confusing--having to switch around players. How much to they cost (setup and monthly) and can you get things like showtime and hbo?
09-15-2016 09:48 AM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

The one I posted above picks up all the local stations with great clarity and no need to move it. I have another non amplified cheap indoor set top antenna that needs to be moved around for channels 5 vs 13.

I think the broadcasting antenna for 5 is in midtown and the other ones are north.
09-15-2016 09:57 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(09-15-2016 09:48 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

That all seems so confusing--having to switch around players. How much to they cost (setup and monthly) and can you get things like showtime and hbo?

It's really not bad. If you had to pick one box go with a Roku 3. Great selection of channels and you can get subscriptions to HBO now and Showtime. I only bought AppleTV initially because it was the only player at the time for HBOnow and I needed my Game of Thrones fix. HBO NOW is on Roku and many other players.

I'm close to trying out SlingTV for sports and my wife misses HGTV which is on Sling.
09-15-2016 09:59 AM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

I Root For: CIVILITY & UofM
(09-15-2016 09:57 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

The one I posted above picks up all the local stations with great clarity and no need to move it. I have another non amplified cheap indoor set top antenna that needs to be moved around for channels 5 vs 13.

I think the broadcasting antenna for 5 is in midtown and the other ones are north.

To get WMC5 via antenna: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/1183...-placement
09-15-2016 10:05 AM
UpperTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Sling is great.

Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video are all setup on my Amazon Fire Stick.

The ESPN App works better than Sling for Sports, so I use that. The Sling subscription gets you access to ESPN. They've expanded their options recently and you can pay more and get Fox Sports. But I still couldn't get STL Cardinals games, so I quit that option. Sling also has TBS, TNT, and TruTV which is great for March Madness and NBA on TNT. You can also pay extra for HBO and Showtime through Sling.

Sling is also easy to unsubscribe and re-subscribe. After NBA playoffs, I unsubscribed bc not a lot of sports in the summer on ESPN. The first time I need to watch a college football game on ESPN, I'll re-subscribe and keep it through basketball season.

Edit: Make sure you have good internet speed if you are a cord cutter. I had to up my speed to get good picture watching Sports. But my internet was in the stone ages before the upgrade.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 11:40 AM by UpperTiger.)
09-15-2016 11:39 AM
neillis Offline
We all fell in the pit.

(09-15-2016 09:45 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 09:14 PM)neillis Wrote:  I cut the cord a year ago and haven't looked back. Granted, I have to use opp (other people's passwords) but I don't miss much. I certainly am missing getting to watch Documentary Now! on IFC tonight.

You gonna disclose that on your character and fitness application?

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/11/cour...s-illegal/

If I'm applying for bar membership in a 9th Circuit state then I guess I'll have to! But then again the 9th Circuit was applying Nosal under a theory of agency which is not analogous to my situation.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016 11:48 AM by neillis.)
09-15-2016 11:48 AM
Advertisement

RandyMc Offline
Reverend

(09-15-2016 11:39 AM)UpperTiger Wrote:  Sling is great.

Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video are all setup on my Amazon Fire Stick.

The ESPN App works better than Sling for Sports, so I use that.

How do you increase the video quality on the Fire Stick ESPN app? Mine is a bit blurry and I can't find a settings adjustment for that. NetFlix shows up great so I don't think it is the internet connection.
09-15-2016 01:35 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(09-15-2016 10:05 AM)SayWhat? Wrote:  
(09-15-2016 09:57 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

To get WMC5 via antenna: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/1183...-placement

thanks for this
09-15-2016 02:36 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

OK... question about antennas.

When we built our house we had low-voltage wiring installed. In one of the upstairs closets there is a box where all of the wiring meets (internet, satellite, etc)

I have DirecTV. They ran the coax from the dish to the wiring box. The coax supply feeds several rooms throughout the house.

If I set up an outdoor antenna and run the coax to the wiring box, can I disconnect the dish coax supply from the splitters and replace it with the antenna coax supply?

Currently, the low-voltage from the wiring box feeds several rooms (2 downstairs bedrooms, kitchen, den // 3 upstairs bedrooms, playroom, media room).

Will the one external antenna be able to feed everything?
09-15-2016 03:02 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
KODI for the win....

SPMC for you Android users. Same thing....forked for Android tho...
09-15-2016 03:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.