Open TigerLinks

Greatest Rapper of All Time died 20 years ago today
Bookmark and Share
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
Greatest Rapper of All Time died 20 years ago today
Rip

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2016 01:37 PM by Dynamos.)
09-13-2016 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Greatest Rapper of All Time died 20 years ago today
Greatest rap personality, but as a lyricist, I don't agree.
09-13-2016 01:31 PM
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
Pac actually said relavent things in his songs and his flow and delivery was one of a kind.

Big was a great lyricist but his songs weren't really about anything. No substance
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2016 01:40 PM by Dynamos.)
09-13-2016 01:36 PM
Collegiate Black Man Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
I respect what Pac stood for, but the greatest rapper of all time? I think he is a little overrated. Even When I was younger, I wasn't that impressed. In fact, I probably like him more now in my 40's than I did when I was in high school/college.

I also agree with Dynamos about Biggie. He was a brilliant writer, just didn't know anything of substance. I'd say the same for Eminem.

For me, rapping is , as the D.O.C. said "Rhythmic American Poetry". Poems are as much about what is said and how it is said. For some, it can merely be about the aesthetic, and therefore its hard to argue against someone like Biggie or Em. But, I'd like to think that what distinguishes a good rap song or a good rapper is the mix of style and substance. For my list, I'd have to say Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Andre' 3,000, and Q-Tip and Ice Cube are my top 5 and Honorable Mention to Mos Def and MJG (not in any particular order). There rappers that said more (like Bro. J from X-Clan, Wise Intelligent from Poor Righteous Teachers, and Boots from the Coup)but didn't have the wordplay and artistry of these guys.
09-13-2016 01:56 PM
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

[Image: 64677000.jpg]
09-13-2016 03:25 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I think Biggie was a better rapper (lyricist) than 2Pac. Unfortunately, Biggie only did three albums and a bunch of features before he was murdered. He also did not leave as many recordings as 2Pac to provide more longevity. I think it's ridiculous to say a master storyteller had no substance; unless you think a rapper needed to rap about hope and positivity to translate into substance. 50 Cent is a rapper with no substance. He had two topics and all of his songs seemed to be clones. Biggie's songs on Ready to Die, Life After Death, and Junior MAFIA's Conspiracy were unique songs that might have talked about the life of a player and a hustle but were by no means repetitious.

I could argue Ice Cube was a better rapper than 2Pac. If you look at Ice Cube before 2Pac went to Death Row; he had bigger albums that were well-reviewed. 2Pac got huge because of controversy. That is what took him to legendary status. Pac had three crossover hit songs before going to the Row (I get around, Keep your head up, and Dear Mama). In that time frame, Ice Cube had four (Good day, Check Yo Self, you know how we do it, and Bop Gun). I think Cube's lyrics were stronger. I also think Cube was selling more and more critically acclaimed.

Now Pac's All Eyez On Me was one of the biggest albums of all time. But as classic as it was, it's not as good as MATW or Makaveli. AEOM is more of a party album than one that was truly a work of art. Cube basically fell off when he got fat and happy from acting money. But when he was a rapper before an actor, I think his lyrics top Pac.

As far as innovation; Pac did that double layering thing to make his voice echo on his pre-DR albums. But lyrically I don't think he blazed any new ground. He wasn't first with politically conscious lyrics. He wasn't the first to have songs geared to women. He wasn't the first thug. LL and Kane did the rapper sexy symbol before 2Pac. 2Pac's innovation was having run ins with police, getting shot, and going to prison. That built his legend. That's what made him the guy who went diamond with Death Row. When Pac got hot, MC Hammer and Snoop (Doggy) Dogg were bigger in the rap game. Notoriety propelled Pac into the limelight as much as his talent. That's why he became a legend.

Jay-Z is a better lyricist. Eminem is more creative. 2Pac is 2Pac because of the legend; not because he was the best at actually rapping.
09-13-2016 05:09 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(09-13-2016 01:56 PM)Collegiate Black Man Wrote:  I respect what Pac stood for, but the greatest rapper of all time? I think he is a little overrated. Even When I was younger, I wasn't that impressed. In fact, I probably like him more now in my 40's than I did when I was in high school/college.

I also agree with Dynamos about Biggie. He was a brilliant writer, just didn't know anything of substance. I'd say the same for Eminem.

For me, rapping is , as the D.O.C. said "Rhythmic American Poetry". Poems are as much about what is said and how it is said. For some, it can merely be about the aesthetic, and therefore its hard to argue against someone like Biggie or Em. But, I'd like to think that what distinguishes a good rap song or a good rapper is the mix of style and substance. For my list, I'd have to say Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Andre' 3,000, and Q-Tip and Ice Cube are my top 5 and Honorable Mention to Mos Def and MJG (not in any particular order). There rappers that said more (like Bro. J from X-Clan, Wise Intelligent from Poor Righteous Teachers, and Boots from the Coup)but didn't have the wordplay and artistry of these guys.

I always thought 8Ball was better than MJG, but maybe it was just that 8Ball had more star presence... And I don't mean mass.
09-13-2016 05:19 PM
RandyMc Offline
Reverend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-13-2016 01:28 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  Rip

Get over it.
09-13-2016 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.