Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Rod Carey the new Bill Blankenship?
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Is Rod Carey the new Bill Blankenship?
Blankenship was promoted internally at Tulsa to take over for Todd Graham.

Started off well going 19-8 his first two years. Then he went 3-9 and 2-10 and got fired. He simply could not sustain the level of talent Graham had amassed.

Carey started off hot at Northern Illinois. He was promoted internally after Dave Doeren left.

But he's gotten worse each year:

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2
09-11-2016 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Is Rod Carey the new Bill Blankenship?
(09-11-2016 10:38 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Blankenship was promoted internally at Tulsa to take over for Todd Graham.

Started off well going 19-8 his first two years. Then he went 3-9 and 2-10 and got fired. He simply could not sustain the level of talent Graham had amassed.

Carey started off hot at Northern Illinois. He was promoted internally after Dave Doeren left.

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2

Yes the fanbase hates him and we agree he should have never gotten the hc job.
09-11-2016 10:48 AM
AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
In over his head? I reckon so...or NIU's magic carpet ride is over. I'm looking over the 24/7 recruiting rankings and, FWIW, they seem to be better under Carey. The Doeren years were mainly 100+ rankings and he probably got to ride the wizardry of Jerry Kill and a 116 ranking for 2008, his first season at NIU.
09-11-2016 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
It's not just recruiting, it's talent development. When you're in the MAC you can't sustain a championship-caliber team on sheer talent alone when your classes top out with three-stars, you have to find gems and build them up while taking advantage of their strengths through game planning and in-game management. Don Treadwell had some fine classes on paper for Miami, but he completely trashed our program a few years back despite inheriting a championship team.
09-11-2016 11:24 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-11-2016 10:58 AM)AllPtsBulletin Wrote:  In over his head? I reckon so...or NIU's magic carpet ride is over. I'm looking over the 24/7 recruiting rankings and, FWIW, they seem to be better under Carey. The Doeren years were mainly 100+ rankings and he probably got to ride the wizardry of Jerry Kill and a 116 ranking for 2008, his first season at NIU.

Recruiting rankings don't mean much when we're still getting mostly 2-star players and a few 3-star players. The rankings just aren't that accurate. Also, it always seemed like the recruit's ranking went down when they signed with us 4-5 years ago, not so much recently.

We might be getting better players, and based on the recent success and Orange Bowl appearance we should be able to attract better players. I think the coach has lost the team though. Besides that, there's been a gradual decrease in how good the team is starting in 2013 but more obvious in 2014 and 2015 and of course this year.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 01:14 PM by NIU007.)
09-11-2016 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Tech Savy Offline
Banned

I Root For: JOSH PASTNER
(09-11-2016 11:24 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  It's not just recruiting, it's talent development. When you're in the MAC you can't sustain a championship-caliber team on sheer talent alone when your classes top out with three-stars, you have to find gems and build them up while taking advantage of their strengths through game planning and in-game management. Don Treadwell had some fine classes on paper for Miami, but he completely trashed our program a few years back despite inheriting a championship team.

Will Chuck Martin hang on to his job after this season? From a far, it seemed like he was building the program back up but losing to an FCS in year three isn't a good sign.
09-11-2016 09:16 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(09-11-2016 09:16 PM)Tech Savy Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 11:24 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  It's not just recruiting, it's talent development. When you're in the MAC you can't sustain a championship-caliber team on sheer talent alone when your classes top out with three-stars, you have to find gems and build them up while taking advantage of their strengths through game planning and in-game management. Don Treadwell had some fine classes on paper for Miami, but he completely trashed our program a few years back despite inheriting a championship team.

Will Chuck Martin hang on to his job after this season? From a far, it seemed like he was building the program back up but losing to an FCS in year three isn't a good sign.

There's close to zero chance he's fired. One, he inherited one of the worst football teams in MAC history so he gets some slack. Two, our AD is very patient, too much in some cases (see John Cooper for basketball). I'm pissed at what happened yesterday, but overall the program has been on an upward trajectory. With how weak the MAC East is, I think there's a solid chance we pull out four or five wins even if we start 0-5 (which is very possible in and of itself). We outgained Iowa a week ago and our sophomore QB is showing some potential, so if we play at the level we're capable of we'll turn some heads.
09-11-2016 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-11-2016 10:48 AM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 10:38 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Blankenship was promoted internally at Tulsa to take over for Todd Graham.

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2

If you go over to the Crackride.....I mean Pack Pride message boards they'll probably give you Doeren back free of charge.
09-12-2016 03:33 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(09-12-2016 03:33 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2

If you go over to the Crackride.....I mean Pack Pride message boards they'll probably give you Doeren back free of charge.

I'd take him back. Of course, he was only at NIU for 2 years, so I really don't know how good his recruiting is. I thought he did well at game management though.
09-12-2016 03:51 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-12-2016 03:51 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2

I'd take him back. Of course, he was only at NIU for 2 years, so I really don't know how good his recruiting is. I thought he did well at game management though.

He must have left that in DeKalb then because the few times I have watched NC State during his tenure he's clueless, and while I didn't see Saturday's game from reading Crackride for the amusement factor that's one of their biggest complaints about the ECU game.

Oh and his recruiting has been mediocre at best while in Raleigh.
09-12-2016 04:10 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(09-12-2016 04:10 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 03:51 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Year 1 = 12-2
Year 2 = 11-3
Year 3 = 8-6
Year 4 = 0-2

He must have left that in DeKalb then because the few times I have watched NC State during his tenure he's clueless, and while I didn't see Saturday's game from reading Crackride for the amusement factor that's one of their biggest complaints about the ECU game.

Oh and his recruiting has been mediocre at best while in Raleigh.

I thought when he went there that it's a tall order to recruit against FSU and Clemson. If he's repeatedly losing to a bunch of the other teams, than that's a problem. Doeren did inherit a very good team when he arrived in DeKalb (though in 2011 it was a VERY young defense, but improved during the season). Unlike some other years though, when we got to the MAC championship game we won it, both years he was there.
09-12-2016 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.