Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Mo/Nelson (ECU) 2-0, Ruff/Benkert (UVA) 0-2
Ouch.

It is pretty clear why Benkert jumped ship and I don't hold it against him. He pretty much knew he was not going to be able to play as much as he wanted to this season at ECU and UVA gave him a better opportunity to have one solid season under center. I'm not going to bad mouth either him or Ruff. They both did good things at ECU and represented the University with class. I appreciate all their efforts in Greenville and wish them both success.
09-11-2016 08:10 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Mo/Nelson (ECU) 2-0, Ruff/Benkert (UVA) 0-2
(09-11-2016 08:10 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Ouch.

It is pretty clear why Benkert jumped ship and I don't hold it against him. He pretty much knew he was not going to be able to play as much as he wanted to this season at ECU and UVA gave him a better opportunity to have one solid season under center. I'm not going to bad mouth either him or Ruff. They both did good things at ECU and represented the University with class. I appreciate all their efforts in Greenville and wish them both success.

The puzzling thing is that it was said they were on par with each other before the spring game then right after he left. Makes me think the reports were wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-11-2016 08:14 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(09-11-2016 08:14 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

The puzzling thing is that it was said they were on par with each other before the spring game then right after he left. Makes me think the reports were wrong.

Good possibility. Could also be Ruff put the bug in someones ear at UVA about him and he decided to make a change. Evidently UVA was not stacked with QBs for him to be able to come in cold and take the starting job. Either way...I think it turned out the best for everyone involved. Im sorry actually that UVA is struggling with him at QB. I would rather see him do well.
09-11-2016 08:23 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

Or different coaches, systems, and players around him... Nelson Minnesota stats were horrific compared to what he is putting up at ecu
09-11-2016 08:33 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-11-2016 08:33 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Or different coaches, systems, and players around him... Nelson Minnesota stats were horrific compared to what he is putting up at ecu

I was talking about the reports out of spring camp where it was a "dead heat" between them.

09-11-2016 08:41 AM
Advertisement

PirateHeist Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

This. Benkert would have done well in the dink dunk spread attack from last year. Nelson seems to fit this more balanced scheme better. Plus, we have a MUCH better receiving core than UVA.
09-11-2016 08:59 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I think it's time to stop being petty and let it go. We're talking about two Pirate alumni here who love ECU and just want to play and coach the game. A lot of fans were upset with their departure but it is long gone. Weve got what seems to br a goof staff and very solid QB. Get over it.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 09:04 AM by ncbeta.)
09-11-2016 09:03 AM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I have nothing negative to say about Ruff or Benkert, but I think even though Compher made a very unpopular decision, he made the right one.

We had 3 penalties for 25 yards in game 1 and 4 for 36 yesterday. Coach Mo had brought discipline to this team, and we are not shooting ourselves in the foot.

Anyhow, Bronco has quite the rebuilding job to do up at UVA, and he should get it done given time.
09-11-2016 09:05 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(09-11-2016 08:41 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

I was talking about the reports out of spring camp where it was a "dead heat" between them.

thats what i was talking about..benkurt went to uva in summer and won the job 2 weeks of fall camp..he obviously has talent

my statement is benkurt has different coaches, systems, and players around him at uVA than he would have had at ECU...

that dead heat could have been completely accurate and benkert could have been just as successful as nelson if he stayed (who knows)..thats different teams

benkert stats aren't bad..uva might just be bad enough that Benkert doesn't make a difference
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 09:07 AM by pesik.)
09-11-2016 09:05 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2016 09:03 AM)ncbeta Wrote:  I think it's time to stop being petty and let it go. We're talking about two Pirate alumni here who love ECU and just want to play and coach the game. A lot of fans were upset with their departure but it is long gone. Weve got what seems to br a goof staff and very solid QB. Get over it.

Not only that but Ruff is the person that brought Nelson and most of the current players to ECU.
09-11-2016 09:54 AM
Advertisement

pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(09-11-2016 09:05 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 08:41 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

thats what i was talking about..benkurt went to uva in summer and won the job 2 weeks of fall camp..he obviously has talent

my statement is benkurt has different coaches, systems, and players around him at uVA than he would have had at ECU...

that dead heat could have been completely accurate and benkert could have been just as successful as nelson if he stayed (who knows)..thats different teams

benkert stats aren't bad..uva might just be bad enough that Benkert doesn't make a difference

This
09-11-2016 09:59 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(09-11-2016 09:54 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:03 AM)ncbeta Wrote:  I think it's time to stop being petty and let it go. We're talking about two Pirate alumni here who love ECU and just want to play and coach the game. A lot of fans were upset with their departure but it is long gone. Weve got what seems to br a goof staff and very solid QB. Get over it.

Not only that but Ruff is the person that brought Nelson and most of the current players to ECU.

Yes...Ruff did a good job recruiting and left Mo some talent to work with.
09-11-2016 10:05 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-11-2016 10:05 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

And Mo is molding the talent into future NFL players. Honestly in hindsight it feels like our NFL pipeline took a dip during the Ruff years when Skip had NFL players almost yearly.

09-11-2016 10:47 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2016 10:47 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

And Mo is molding the talent into future NFL players. Honestly in hindsight it feels like our NFL pipeline took a dip during the Ruff years when Skip had NFL players almost yearly.

So Justin Hardy is not an NFL player? Because Ruff brought him to ECU. What about Isaiah Jones? Ruff brought him too. And any of the other guys that might be NFL talents on the current team were brought in by Ruff.

Skip inherited Chris Johnson from John Thompson. I don't remember who brought in Davon Drew, Dwayne Harris, Matt Dodge or the ECU DLine that won back to back CUSA titles, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Thompson brought in some of those guys. In fact Skip left a lot of the cupboard bare when he left ECU; so Ruff did a real good job of stocking up on talent that Montgomery has now inherited.

The main difference that I see between Montgomery and Ruff is that Montgomery's team are more disciplined. Montgomery's staff seem to think through situations a lot better too, which might be the difference in a few wins and losses this year. Other than that give Ruff some credit. The guy was an excellent at evaluating talent on both sides of the ball. With a quarterback; Ruff is an 8 win coach, but his teams always faded. I don't know how Montgomery will do, but it will interesting to see if he can at least get 8 wins. Anything above 8; then IMO he is a clear upgrade over Ruff.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 11:56 AM by PirateMarv.)
09-11-2016 11:54 AM
PirateHeist Offline
All American

(09-11-2016 11:54 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

So Justin Hardy is not an NFL player? Because Ruff brought him to ECU. What about Isaiah Jones? Ruff brought him too. And any of the other guys that might be NFL talents on the current team were brought in by Ruff.

Skip inherited Chris Johnson from John Thompson. I don't remember who brought in Davon Drew, Dwayne Harris, Matt Dodge or the ECU DLine that won back to back CUSA titles, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Thompson brought in some of those guys. In fact Skip left a lot of the cupboard bare when he left ECU; so Ruff did a real good job of stocking up on talent that Montgomery has now inherited.

The main difference that I see between Montgomery and Ruff is that Montgomery's team are more disciplined. Montgomery's staff seem to think through situations a lot better too, which might be the difference in a few wins and losses this year. Other than that give Ruff some credit. The guy was an excellent at evaluating talent on both sides of the ball. With a quarterback; Ruff is an 8 win coach, but his teams always faded. I don't know how Montgomery will do, but it will interesting to see if he can at least get 8 wins. Anything above 8; then IMO he is a clear upgrade over Ruff.

Discipline is a huge factor. I would also say that "thinking through situations" is a huge part of being a head coach. So far, both of these factors appear to be vastly improved.

I don't think we'll see any John Thompsonesque decisions under Mo (i.e. punting from the 35). Under Ruff, I'll never forget our players huddling in the cold @ Temple, that was sorry planning. I'll also never forget taking a knee against UCF only to end up losing the game.. yikes 03-nutkick.

I don't see how anyone who is objective can't see that, at least based on the first two games, we seem to be more focused (fewer penalties) and prepared. Mo said we schemed for that fake FG - THAT is coaching.

This is all to say that there was a reason Ruff was let go, even if some of our fans could not see it after last year.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 12:10 PM by PirateHeist.)
09-11-2016 12:09 PM
Advertisement

k-vegasbuc Online
1st String

I Root For:

I agree, the only areas that I was critical with the previous staff and recruiting was QB and special teams. I thought we should have offered more than 1 QB per years since that burned us some and left our depth thin at QB and I think we should have invested a scholarship once every 2 or 3 years on a kicker since, as we just saw, special teams are critical in close games.

The bottom line is we need to move on from Ruff. I cringe every time I see another post about it. Ruff did good things here but (whether you agreed with it or not) he's gone. I wish him the best at life but let's enjoy this team and coaching staff and stop looking over our shoulder. I'm excited with the 2-0 start but we still have lots of room for improvement if we want to compete for the division.
09-11-2016 12:13 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

1. I never said it dried up, just took a dip.

2. It's hard to see them have breakout years under Ruff like they are posed to do now.

09-11-2016 02:29 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2016 02:29 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:54 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  Not only that but Ruff is the person that brought Nelson and most of the current players to ECU.

1. I never said it dried up, just took a dip.

2. It's hard to see them have breakout years under Ruff like they are posed to do now.

No one is counting this as a breakout season. If they are then they obviously don't know the caliber or teams left on ECU's schedule. Don't get ahead of yourself. Beating ACC teams is good, but in order to have a breakout season; ECU would need to get at least 10 wins.

Btw, you keep alluding to the fact that Ruff was a bad coach. He wasn't. He delivered some of the worst whippings to ACC teams that any ECU fan ever witnessed. He had a 5 game winning streak against them; and played them close in countless other games. On top of that; ECU was the first G5 team ranked under the current system, so you might want to get a fuller picture of Ruff's tenure at ECU. The problem with Ruff was that his teams were sloppy and he and his staff didn't always think through situations. However, even his worse detractors would acknowledge that Ruff left ECU plenty of talent. If ECU can start 3-1 or 4-0 that would be great; and a lot of that would be due to Ruff's getting lots of talent and Montgomery coaching up said talent.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 02:58 PM by PirateMarv.)
09-11-2016 02:56 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

Benkert transferred to a team that just sucks, the O line, the RB's, the WR's and the D is awful. It's like the QB Wafford that decomitted to us to go to Wake Forrest. He was good, hit WR's right in their hands and they dropped it. WF radio radio sounded like they had had a loop playback. Great pass by Wafford and they dropped it.
09-11-2016 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.