Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Utah vs BYU - The Shenanigans are stupefying.
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Utah vs BYU - The Shenanigans are stupefying.
BYU on consecutive plays had two defensive players ejected for targeting. Maybe this is some previous reputation of dirty play haunting BYU but those players should not had been ejected from the game.
09-10-2016 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
RE: Utah vs BYU - The Shenanigans are stupefying.
BYU's coach can't call plays. What an awful call.

Hopefully, a PAC 12 team destroys Utah. Their fan base went from the pesky underdogs to the arrogant P5 mentality.
09-10-2016 10:29 PM
Tech Savy Offline
Banned

I Root For: JOSH PASTNER
BYU has a long history of dirty/cheap hits. I don't what the common trait it among the different regimes (could it be the age of players?) but it has gone beyond just one particular coach.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 10:32 PM by Tech Savy.)
09-10-2016 10:31 PM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
The announcers and the referee consultant on the broadcast all said Nacua's hit was not targeting and he should not have been ejected. The second one was less excusable. But whatever. Utah won the game by making the plays they needed to.
09-10-2016 10:54 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Gutsy call by the BYU coach to go for the win, I wasn't excited about the play call though.
09-11-2016 09:11 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Because nacua would never throw a cheapshot

[Image: giphy.gif]

Frick byu
09-11-2016 09:21 AM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(09-11-2016 09:11 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Gutsy call by the BYU coach to go for the win, I wasn't excited about the play call though.

The play call was horrible. They should have rolled Hill for a run pass option.
09-11-2016 09:37 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
BYU is consistently the dirtiest team in college football.
09-11-2016 11:03 AM
ArmyBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
BYU is notoriously dirty. I'm friends with quite a few Mormons and they are always some of the happiest and nicest people you could want to be around, so I've always found it odd that BYU would condone such behavior.
09-11-2016 12:33 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(09-11-2016 12:33 PM)ArmyBlazer Wrote:  BYU is notoriously dirty. I'm friends with quite a few Mormons and they are always some of the happiest and nicest people you could want to be around, so I've always found it odd that BYU would condone such behavior.

There has to be a release. Mormon church basketball is a full contact sport and fist fights happen not infrequently.

This game has become a shitfest. Both teams play terribly. Most fans (at least on the Utah side) are just anxious for the game to be over. It also depletes the team's injury wise (we lost our best DE and had two guys that will miss time with concussions, and that's just the early injury reports leaking).

The play is so sloppy and dirty that the refs can't really adjust, and we wind up with a bunch of bogus makeup calls throughout the game. I know BYU will blame the BigXIi ref crew for this loss, but just like last year, the refs decided there couldn't be a football game if BYU's O-line was asked to play without blatantly holding on every down, so they made some crazy calls the other way to even it out. One year was not a long enough hiatus.
09-11-2016 01:04 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-11-2016 09:37 AM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:11 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Gutsy call by the BYU coach to go for the win, I wasn't excited about the play call though.

The play call was horrible. They should have rolled Hill for a run pass option.

The defensive call was perfect. With as good a running QB as Hill is, it was a good guess that the conversion play would be a QB run, and the blitz handled that.
09-11-2016 01:05 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

(09-11-2016 01:04 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 12:33 PM)ArmyBlazer Wrote:  BYU is notoriously dirty. I'm friends with quite a few Mormons and they are always some of the happiest and nicest people you could want to be around, so I've always found it odd that BYU would condone such behavior.

There has to be a release. Mormon church basketball is a full contact sport and fist fights happen not infrequently.

This game has become a shitfest. Both teams play terribly. Most fans (at least on the Utah side) are just anxious for the game to be over. It also depletes the team's injury wise (we lost our best DE and had two guys that will miss time with concussions, and that's just the early injury reports leaking).

The play is so sloppy and dirty that the refs can't really adjust, and we wind up with a bunch of bogus makeup calls throughout the game. I know BYU will blame the BigXIi ref crew for this loss, but just like last year, the refs decided there couldn't be a football game if BYU's O-line was asked to play without blatantly holding on every down, so they made some crazy calls the other way to even it out. One year was not a long enough hiatus.

"but just like last year, the refs decided there couldn't be a football game if BYU's O-line was asked to play without blatantly holding on every down, so they made some crazy calls the other way to even it out. "

There is no consistency and it drive me nuts. Watch three different games and it seems like three different rule books. Im really starting to wonder how "fixed" games are now. Espn has "fixed" teams and schedules with its p5 money bullshite. I guess the refs are the next logical manipulation point.
09-11-2016 01:17 PM
ManleyPointer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
(09-11-2016 01:17 PM)shere khan Wrote:  There is no consistency and it drive me nuts. Watch three different games and it seems like three different rule books. Im really starting to wonder how "fixed" games are now. Espn has "fixed" teams and schedules with its p5 money bullshite. I guess the refs are the next logical manipulation point.

The refs were terrible. But it's not a matter of AQ conferences protecting their own. See the blown call in the Oklahoma State game, which cost them the game.
09-11-2016 01:24 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(09-11-2016 01:17 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 01:04 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  

"but just like last year, the refs decided there couldn't be a football game if BYU's O-line was asked to play without blatantly holding on every down, so they made some crazy calls the other way to even it out. "

There is no consistency and it drive me nuts. Watch three different games and it seems like three different rule books. Im really starting to wonder how "fixed" games are now. Espn has "fixed" teams and schedules with its p5 money bullshite. I guess the refs are the next logical manipulation point.

I can't figure it out either. For a long time Utah has been a very unbalanced team with a very good defense, an often great D line, and poor offense. In games we're losing, I notice that the opponent gets called for holding pretty consistently. In games where we're winning, it doesn't get called. The reality is the good teams that are beating us do a lot less holding, while some of the teams that we're beating are just reaching and grabbing jersey on every play.

I think it may be more of an unconscious bias that tends to make games more even, but it's certainly there.
09-11-2016 01:26 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(09-11-2016 01:24 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 01:17 PM)shere khan Wrote:  There is no consistency and it drive me nuts. Watch three different games and it seems like three different rule books. Im really starting to wonder how "fixed" games are now. Espn has "fixed" teams and schedules with its p5 money bullshite. I guess the refs are the next logical manipulation point.

The refs were terrible. But it's not a matter of AQ conferences protecting their own. See the blown call in the Oklahoma State game, which cost them the game.

Even the broken clock is right twice a day.

After yesterday, I might be done with cfb. If I want a script, there's WWE or Broadway. This stuff is an unwatchable racket.
09-11-2016 01:37 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I dont agree. That was a confused fluke mistake and not a pattern. The idea of conference refs is kinda a sham too because those guys swap around from pools of refs.
09-11-2016 01:43 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I think a lot of the "decline" in officiating is a perceptional problem that stems from every home viewer having DVR and 60" ultra HD monitors viewing 6 different camera angles. I think we'll get some e-solutions to make some simple things like ball placement more precise while taking some of the load off the officials.
09-11-2016 01:45 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(09-11-2016 01:43 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

I dont agree. That was a confused fluke mistake and not a pattern. The idea of conference refs is kinda a sham too because those guys swap around from pools of refs.

And in this particular game it was actually a BigXII crew.
09-11-2016 01:45 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

Couldn't resist posting to the realignment board.

[Image: image.jpg1_zpsnyeblvbf.jpg]
09-11-2016 03:18 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(09-10-2016 10:54 PM)f1do Wrote:  The announcers and the referee consultant on the broadcast all said Nacua's hit was not targeting and he should not have been ejected. The second one was less excusable. But whatever. Utah won the game by making the plays they needed to.

That announcer was an idiot. He basically was saying the targeting rule is dumb and needs to go away. Also that it's only in place to protect against law suits and has no place in football. He said the defender has no obligation to protect the offensive player. He's a F-ing moron. Guys brains getting turned to jelly and he says the defenders should be allowed to hit players in the head.
09-11-2016 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.