Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why does the Coaches Poll still exist?
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Why does the Coaches Poll still exist?
Can someone explain to me the relevancy of the Coaches Poll?

At least the AP Poll is historic and is fun to watch...IMO, they could even give a "Team of the Year" trophy for the team that had the best regular season...sort of a tribute to the way championships used to be decided before the bowls

But Coaches Poll? why??? 01-wingedeagle
09-09-2016 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: Why does the Coaches Poll still exist?
Because polls are fun, provide entertainment value, and give fans something to talk about.
09-09-2016 12:39 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-09-2016 12:26 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Can someone explain to me the relevancy of the Coaches Poll?

At least the AP Poll is historic and is fun to watch...IMO, they could even give a "Team of the Year" trophy for the team that had the best regular season...sort of a tribute to the way championships used to be decided before the bowls

The coaches poll is over six decades old. It brings a different viewpoint, and has a different set of rules with teams ineligible for post-season because of rules violations.
09-09-2016 12:40 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I like the coaches poll better than the AP. The coaches poll is more like having your work peer reviewed which gives it more credibility to me than some member of the media (often with an adgenda) ranking the teams.
09-09-2016 01:21 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I ignore it. Coaches should not have a poll.

Tradition is fine, I'm not advocating for its abolition. But it's the very definition of conflict of interest.
09-09-2016 01:23 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(09-09-2016 12:26 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Can someone explain to me the relevancy of the Coaches Poll?

Dude, we just had this discussion.
09-09-2016 01:54 PM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(09-09-2016 01:54 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  

And yet, the coaches poll still exists....

The Coaches Poll is a horrible stain on college football and must be destroyed immediately
09-09-2016 02:05 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(09-09-2016 02:05 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

The Coaches Poll is a horrible stain on college football and must be destroyed immediately

Having a discussion board on a message board is not going to change something. If you are so passionate why don't you contact the organization who organizes it.
09-09-2016 02:17 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-09-2016 01:21 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I like the coaches poll better than the AP. The coaches poll is more like having your work peer reviewed which gives it more credibility to me than some member of the media (often with an adgenda) ranking the teams.

Everyone has an agenda, coaches just have a different one than the media.

The character of the AP Poll has changed over the years. Writers used to not be rewarded for being outrageous. Now if you can't make people pissed off, foaming at the mouth angry, your career potential is extremely limited.

AP doesn't have as many people who in the past might have been assigned to cover Florida-Georgia one Saturday, Florida State-Clemson the next, and Miami-North Carolina the week after that. Most of the voters cover a single team and in a few instances a single conference, the writers going all over the region seeing different teams isn't as common.
09-09-2016 02:17 PM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
As noted, the coaches poll does have decades of history behind it. Whatever its flaws, it has more credibility than a "playoff" that excludes half of FBS by design.
09-09-2016 02:19 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(09-09-2016 02:17 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 02:05 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

Having a discussion board on a message board is not going to change something. If you are so passionate why don't you contact the organization who organizes it.

I'll pass on that, thanks
09-09-2016 02:29 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I like the coaches poll.

It would be better if it wasn't just some fool in the office doing it but it's still more accurate in my mind than the AP.
09-09-2016 02:29 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(09-09-2016 02:19 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  As noted, the coaches poll does have decades of history behind it. Whatever its flaws, it has more credibility than a "playoff" that excludes half of FBS by design.

more credibility than a playoff? Than games played on the field??

Ohio State proved that wrong 2 years ago. Proving who is #1 on the field is ALWAYS better than voted polls
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Coaches watch film on their opponents.

Accordingly, they watch film on their opponents' opponents.

And they recruit against dozens of schools.

They aren't unqualified or uninformed as to the talent level or execution of various teams across the nation.

You know, if they actually tried to vote well instead of delegating to their staff.
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
I would buy the credibility argument for the coaches poll if it wasn't known that many coaches dole out the responsibility to staffers. The HC does not have time enough in his week to objectively review games that do not immediately affect his team. You may review your opponents game, and maybe your opponents opponent, but there is no way in hell an HC is going to review a game involving two teams that neither his team nor any of his opponents will play that year, unless he already has some vested interest in one of the schools (eg graduate transfer, or a school he coached at, or a school coached by a former assistant.)

I cannot remember the circumstances but I seem to recall their being a time where a coach admitted never ranking his school below 25th regardless of how they were doing.

But I will be grateful and take the coaches title we won in 1991 all the same :)
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 02:33 PM by sundodger.)
09-09-2016 02:33 PM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-09-2016 02:32 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 02:19 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  As noted, the coaches poll does have decades of history behind it. Whatever its flaws, it has more credibility than a "playoff" that excludes half of FBS by design.

Ohio State proved that wrong 2 years ago. Proving who is #1 on the field is ALWAYS better than voted polls

Proving it on the field would be nice. The problem is, half of FBS is essentially ineligible for the so-called "playoffs" before the season starts. It is doubtful anything Houston does on the field this year will get them in the so-called "playoff." But even if they were to somehow pull it off, the bar is much higher for them than it is for any P5 school. And that's unfair.

I would actually like to amend what I said earlier about the coaches poll, though. It's rigged. If memory serves, coaches are required to vote for the winner of the so-called playoff No. 1, even if their conscience leads them in a different direction.

Given that, I prefer the AP poll. At least the media are just ranking schools 1-25, regardless of the conference they play in. It's less nonsense. Everyone is equal in the AP poll. Can't say that about the playoff.
09-09-2016 02:45 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(09-09-2016 02:32 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

Ohio St. barely made that playoff. Had the B1G championship game not been a blowout, Ohio St., the eventual playoff winner, likely wouldn't have been involved at all.

If the system continues with the P5 and G5 playing at the same FBS level, the playoff should include ALL 10 conference champions.

An easy, and extremely exciting, way to accomplish this is to have a 12-school tournament that involves a round of Play-In games among the unranked/weaker conference champions and a Wild Card game leading into home-field quarterfinals played the weekend/week before Christmas - that spills into the current CFP semi-finals and NY6 system.

2015 example:

PLAY-IN WEEKEND: Saturday, December 12, 2015
5-seed Wild Card Game: Ohio St. at Iowa
6-seed Play-in Game: Houston[AAC] at Stanford[PAC]
7-seed Play-in Game: Arkansas St.[SunBelt] at W. Kentucky[CUSA]
8-seed Play-in Game: Bowling Green[MAC] at SDSU[MWC]

QUARTERFINALS: Saturday, December 19, 2015
8-seed Winner at (1)Clemson[ACC]
7-seed Winner at (2)Alabama[SEC]
6-seed Winner at (3)Michigan St.[B1G]
5-seed Wild Card at (4)Oklahoma[B12]

SEMIFINALS: Friday, January 1, 2016
Orange Bowl -
Cotton Bowl -

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Monday, January 11, 2016
Glendale, Arizona
09-09-2016 03:36 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

Because frick ESPN
09-09-2016 06:12 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

At least the AP Poll is historic and is fun to watch...

Same reason as the AP Poll: it's historic and fun to watch. If 66 years aint historic enough for you, you're just being silly, that's pretty much the entire stretch of modern big time college football.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 06:21 PM by BruceMcF.)
09-09-2016 06:16 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The coach's poll can correct deficiencies of the AP poll. See: 1990 National Championship

I'd prefer we use Sagarin and/or CFP Committee rankings myself. And for NEITHER to publish ANY rankings until Week 4 to 6.
09-09-2016 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.