WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey coach Fleck and staff...
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
Hey coach Fleck and staff...
Never, ever, bring this kind of garbage to our campus again. I don't care how fast he runs, or how good he is. You can't overlook stuff like this. NO EXCUSE.

http://woodtv.com/2016/09/01/timeline/
09-01-2016 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
RE: Hey coach Fleck and staff...
Holy moley....what a piece of ****. How do you let a guy like that onto our campus and into our football program?
09-01-2016 01:29 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

We need background checks. Don't care for the excuse that most schools don't do it. I'm all for second chances too, but of the Cleveland Smith variety (had a gun illegally because he felt he needed it for safety), not this sociopathic stuff.

Anybody here know if juvenile offenses show up on these background checks?
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 01:30 PM by wmubroncopilot.)
09-01-2016 01:30 PM
Moomba Offline
Banned

I Root For: Pers's new id's
Wait the he football coach reported the rape and then the school gave him a positive reference? NOT BUYING IT.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 01:53 PM by Moomba.)
09-01-2016 01:51 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

(09-01-2016 01:30 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  We need background checks. Don't care for the excuse that most schools don't do it. I'm all for second chances too, but of the Cleveland Smith variety (had a gun illegally because he felt he needed it for safety), not this sociopathic stuff.

He was never charged with anything, so I'm not sure what a criminal background check would have found. That said, it's clear that a few proper questions to the right people (as channel 8 did here) would have figured some of this out.
09-01-2016 01:57 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2016 01:57 PM)broncofan1 Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 01:30 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  We need background checks. Don't care for the excuse that most schools don't do it. I'm all for second chances too, but of the Cleveland Smith variety (had a gun illegally because he felt he needed it for safety), not this sociopathic stuff.

He was never charged with anything, so I'm not sure what a criminal background check would have found. That said, it's clear that a few proper questions to the right people (as channel 8 did here) would have figured some of this out.

Hey I know, let's put Channel 8 and mlive in charge of WMU football. It's easy to track things down after something happens. Trust me, they don't care, just selling advertising and commercials.

Just plug some elite level vetting into the process and make dang sure this does NOT happen again. Bad vibe, no offer, period. Let the marginal ones go somewhere else. Serious business. We don't need this crap.
09-01-2016 02:03 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

There is some 20/20 hindsight going on. I'd imagine the staff took a view that their recruits are good kids unless told otherwise. I hope that view changes now to "trust but verify".
09-01-2016 02:05 PM
Moomba Offline
Banned

This is a little more than "slipping through the cracks", wouldn't you think?
09-01-2016 02:08 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

Sure, it was a mistake, and sure the staff meant well.

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter anymore. A kid with a known history of mistreating women (girls) was brought to our campus. He then terrorized and assaulted one of our students.

NO EXCUSES.

Never again.
09-01-2016 02:10 PM
Moomba Offline
Banned

I don't think we know for sure or not if it was a "mistake" yet, do we?
09-01-2016 02:11 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2016 02:08 PM)Moomba Wrote:  This is a little more than "slipping through the cracks", wouldn't you think?

Not really, it's pretty much the definition of that idiom.

You also don't know **** about the situation or what the staff knew and neither does anyone else on this board. You're barely hiding your giddiness about the staff having this issue and its kind of sickening.
09-01-2016 02:12 PM
Advertisement

Moomba Offline
Banned

(09-01-2016 02:12 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 02:08 PM)Moomba Wrote:  This is a little more than "slipping through the cracks", wouldn't you think?

You also don't know **** about the situation or what the staff knew and neither does anyone else on this board. You're barely hiding your giddiness about the staff having this issue and its kind of sickening.

You're projecting.

You think for a moment that the place where I received my undergrad degree from being in this position makes me me happy, you're sadly mistaken.

I'm nauseated by you fleckexcuseiologists here.

Boy the "fighting persrods" have their azzes in the air today, don't they? 01-lauramac2
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 02:16 PM by Moomba.)
09-01-2016 02:14 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2016 02:14 PM)Moomba Wrote:  

You're projecting.

You think for a moment that the place where I received my undergrad degree from being in this position makes me me happy, you're sadly mistaken.

LMAO. Nobody is excusing anything. You're the one projecting that on everyone you don't like, hope that helps.
09-01-2016 02:16 PM
Moomba Offline
Banned

(09-01-2016 02:16 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 02:14 PM)Moomba Wrote:  

You're projecting.

LMAO. Nobody is excusing anything. You're the one projecting that on everyone you don't like, hope that helps.

Huh? 01-wingedeagle

Quote:LMAO. "No you are" Hope that helps.
09-01-2016 02:18 PM
Riley1903 Offline
Bench Warmer

During the recruiting process you talk extensively to high school coaches and others. If a kid is bad, it's known. I find it hard to believe that whomever recruited this kid didn't know he was trouble, especially with pending charges. He would have had to left Kalamazoo to go home at in the middle of the season to deal with his pending charges back home. You can't cover that up. I think we looked the other way on this one!
09-01-2016 02:37 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY

Even the "second chance" stuff, I quibble with. There are plenty of real good kids who don't get the "First chance" at opportunities like this, but because we want the bigger, faster or stronger kid a little bit more we give him a "second chance", "because he deserves it". What about the kid who never got in trouble at all and has done everything the right way (good grades, good character)? Why doesn't that kid "deserve" even a first chance? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity before the kid who has done something bad? doesn't the problem-free kid "deserve" it more?

This is what college football has developed into. I'm disgusted that this happened; whether it happened at WMU or anywhere else. It doesn't matter that these punks were football players. They were WMU students too, and it would be no less disgusting or noteworthy if they were not on the football team. But they may have only been at WMU because they were football players.

I hope Fleck and other top administrative people from WMU literally visit the victim in this case to offer genuine condolence, and provide whatever support is needed. That is the right thing to do.
09-01-2016 02:38 PM
Advertisement

Moomba Offline
Banned

(09-01-2016 02:38 PM)brovol Wrote:  

Even the "second chance" stuff, I quibble with. There are plenty of real good kids who don't get the "First chance" at opportunities like this, but because we want the bigger, faster or stronger kid a little bit more we give him a "second chance", "because he deserves it". What about the kid who never got in trouble at all and has done everything the right way (good grades, good character)? Why doesn't that kid "deserve" even a first chance? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity before the kid who has done something bad? doesn't the problem-free kid "deserve" it more?

This is what college football has developed into. I'm disgusted that this happened; whether it happened at WMU or anywhere else. It doesn't matter that these punks were football players. They were WMU students too, and it would be no less disgusting or noteworthy if they were not on the football team. But they may have only been at WMU because they were football players.

I hope Fleck and other top administrative people from WMU literally visit the victim in this case to offer genuine condolence, and provide whatever support is needed. That is the right thing to do.

Great post. 01-ncaabbs
09-01-2016 02:41 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY

+2

You knew as soon as story came out that at least someone would have a smile on his face.
Moomba Offline
Banned

(09-01-2016 02:37 PM)Riley1903 Wrote:  During the recruiting process you talk extensively to high school coaches and others. If a kid is bad, it's known. I find it hard to believe that whomever recruited this kid didn't know he was trouble, especially with pending charges. He would have had to left Kalamazoo to go home at in the middle of the season to deal with his pending charges back home. You can't cover that up. I think we looked the other way on this one!

I am thinking this is more the case than not.
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

If anyone else needs to be questioned about this, its the coaching staff in Ohio who apparently coerced a victim into not bringing a sexual assault case against white, but then went on to lead WMU's coaching staff to think that White was an upstanding citizen...

WMU really dropped the ball here... I mean does the admissions office do any sort of vetting of an individuals criminal history on its own? I mean... football or not, this kid was on campus... taking classes.
09-01-2016 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.