Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Expansion: With Colorado State and Air Force out of Big 12 consideration...
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
The Big 12 just did the AAC a huge favor..

With the news that the Big 12 has narrowed their list and the MWC teams weren't on it, is this Aresco's chance to get a jump on bringing the academies under 1 umbrella?

If Aresco and Gladchuk (NAVY AD) head to Colorado Springs asap, they have ample time to prepare for any AAC defections.

IMO, the best opportunity to create a "Best of" conference going forward is to have the academies as the backbone.

I hope Commish Aresco is on the phone with the networks getting estimates on what such a conference would yield the membership. The MWC is already bogged down with a sparsely populated footprint and underfunded programs.

There's only one place to get this done.

[Image: banner-goairforcecheer2014.jpg]

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
If Colorado State, Boise and others are out, would leave BYU as only Mountain time zone team in Big 12 expansion process.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 09:33 AM by BigEastHomer.)
08-31-2016 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: AAC Expansion: With Colorado State and Air Force out on Big 12 consideration...
(08-31-2016 09:18 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  With the news that the Big 12 has narrowed their list and the MWC teams weren't on it, is this Aresco's chance to get a jump on bringing the academies under 1 umbrella?

If Aresco and Gladchuk (NAVY AD) head to Colorado Springs asap, they have ample time to prepare for any AAC defections.

IMO, the best opportunity to create a "Best of" conference going forward is to have the academies as the backbone.

I hope Commish Aresco is on the phone with the networks getting estimates on what such a conference would yield the membership. The MWC is already bogged down with a sparsely populated footprint and underfunded programs.

There's only one place to get this done.

[Image: banner-goairforcecheer2014.jpg]

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
If Colorado State, Boise and others are out, would leave BYU as only Mountain time zone team in Big 12 expansion process.
We don't know if CSU is out yet, we only have 1 guy who made an unsubstantiated claim and McMurphy who said ECU is out. I'd imagine NIU is out but CSU is probably still in the mix somewhere

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
08-31-2016 09:24 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: AAC Expansion: With Colorado State and Air Force out on Big 12 consideration...
I believe everyone's saying it. Is there a conflicting report?

If it's true, the Big 12 just did the AAC a solid.

Having this added time with the best potential candidates on the board is HUGE.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 09:30 AM by BigEastHomer.)
08-31-2016 09:29 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: AAC Expansion: With Colorado State and Air Force out of Big 12 consideration...
These Big12 guys work fast. I mean a year ago, they knew the pool of legit expansion targets were the AAC and BYU. Today they announce it's been narrowed to 75% of the AAC and BYU.
08-31-2016 09:36 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: AAC Expansion: With Colorado State and Air Force out of Big 12 consideration...
(08-31-2016 09:36 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  These Big12 guys work fast. I mean a year ago, they knew the pool of legit expansion targets were the AAC and BYU. Today they announce it's been narrowed to 75% of the AAC and BYU.

The fact that the AAC is such a big focus of Big 12 Expansion, shows where the true value is on this side of the fence.

They wont be able to take anywhere close to 75% of the membership.

So, the foundation that will comprise the AAC is still a good lure for AF, CSU, etc, who would probably like to separate themselves from the bottom feeders in the MWC.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 09:41 AM by BigEastHomer.)
08-31-2016 09:40 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I'm all for adding the academies and CSU should we lose one or more teams.

Regarding TV: which MWC teams are the most valuable? I would go with Boise State, SDSU, UNLV, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico.

Thoughts?
08-31-2016 09:53 AM
Advertisement

Tor Johnson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
(08-31-2016 09:53 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  I'm all for adding the academies and CSU should we lose one or more teams.

Regarding TV: which MWC teams are the most valuable? I would go with Boise State, SDSU, UNLV, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico.

Thoughts?

I'm with Ned
08-31-2016 09:56 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
If I were Mike Aresco, I'd be on the phone with Fox, pronto, to gauge what the AAC, with the academies, and a West Wing would generate.

Eliminate all realistic competition for the access spot, by putting all the valuable properties under one roof.

Then meet the presidents one-by-one to let them know "we are worth more together than apart. The networks try to control the value of the best fbs non-autonomous programs by keeping them separated."

[Image: fox-sports.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 10:01 AM by BigEastHomer.)
08-31-2016 09:57 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(08-31-2016 09:57 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  If I were Mike Aresco, I'd be on the phone with Fox, pronto, to gauge what the AAC, with the academies, and a West Wing would generate.

Eliminate all realistic competition for the access spot, by putting all the valuable properties under one roof.

Then meet the presidents one-by-one to let them know "we are worth more together than apart. The networks try to control the value of the best fbs non-autonomous programs by keeping them separated."

[Image: fox-sports.jpg]

Agreed
08-31-2016 10:21 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

We should add CSU, AF, and FB-Only Army regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 10:37 AM by PurpleReigns.)
08-31-2016 10:24 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(08-31-2016 10:24 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  We should add CSU, AFU, and FB-Only Army regardless.

If Army joined, would they be willing to move Army-Navy to rivalry weekend (weekend after thanksgiving)?
08-31-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
(08-31-2016 10:24 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  We should add CSU, AFU, and FB-Only Army regardless.

I don't know who AFU is, but if you meant AF, then you are probably more accurate with what you did type. 05-stirthepot
08-31-2016 10:27 AM
Clarence Iba Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa!
Being on Fox would totally suck. Our ratings would plummet. We need them to be legitimate bidders but the exposure and function of ESPN is far superior to all competitors save NBC perhaps.
08-31-2016 10:30 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(08-31-2016 10:30 AM)Clarence Iba Wrote:  Being on Fox would totally suck. Our ratings would plummet. We need them to be legitimate bidders but the exposure and function of ESPN is far superior to all competitors save NBC perhaps.

I think it depends if Fox offers more spots on broadcast network Fox then AAC gets on ABC through ESPN deal then I think Fox becomes competitive.

With a lot of eastern time zone teams Fox could do a weekly 12est kick going up against non marquee Big 10 games on ESPN and a lot of weeks ABC doesn't have a noon game.
08-31-2016 10:36 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Options:

Lose 1 - Army FB-only to get back to twelve. Determine if western expansion is worth it without BYU.

Lose 2 - Stand pat. Wait for the clear option to develop (what TV says would be the best adds for the new deal)

Lose 3 - Army FB-only to get to ten, wait for the clear option to develop (what TV says would be the best adds for the new deal)

Lose 4 - Army (fb only), AFA, CSU, BYU immediately. Consider advantages of going to 14 then choose between SDSU, UNLV, NIU, Toledo, Buffalo, UMass, USM, Boise State, Wichita State, ODU.
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(08-31-2016 10:30 AM)Clarence Iba Wrote:  Being on Fox would totally suck. Our ratings would plummet. We need them to be legitimate bidders but the exposure and function of ESPN is far superior to all competitors save NBC perhaps.

Yeah we need to stick to ESPN and maybe push for a small package to NBC broadcast. Either on off ND weekends or every week and have some weeks be a doubleheader for them.

Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(08-31-2016 10:26 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

If Army joined, would they be willing to move Army-Navy to rivalry weekend (weekend after thanksgiving)?

Either that or the weekend before the season like the AUS game this year would be the most ideal I think.

08-31-2016 10:40 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(08-31-2016 10:36 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

I think it depends if Fox offers more spots on broadcast network Fox then AAC gets on ABC through ESPN deal then I think Fox becomes competitive.

With a lot of eastern time zone teams Fox could do a weekly 12est kick going up against non marquee Big 10 games on ESPN and a lot of weeks ABC doesn't have a noon game.

HELL NO TO FOX! Their ratings are horrible and we would lose exposure from ESPN giving coverage to any of the games. Notice the only conference that was solely off ESPN (CUSA) tanked badly.

08-31-2016 10:41 AM
NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
(08-31-2016 10:40 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 10:26 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

Either that or the weekend before the season like the AUS game this year would be the most ideal I think.

They may be willing to move it to rivalry weekend, but no way they would agree to move it to the beginning of the season.
08-31-2016 10:51 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Yes, I think they should be approached to see if they will join. However, they probably won't leave MWC, which leaves Southern Miss, Marshall, and the rest of the CUSA candidates as realistic options.

Should Aresco go ahead and invite 2 CUSA schools now?
08-31-2016 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.