Open TigerLinks

Dr. Sidney J. McKay
Bookmark and Share
madtiger Offline
Hoops Hater, Shill, and Pro Boot Licker

I Root For: Memphis
Dr. Sidney J. McKay
If this is a pope, then my apologies.

Longtime University of Memphis Director of Bands Dr. Sidney McKay passed away yesterday morning.

Those of us that spent time in the MSOTS will never forget the profound impact he had on our lives.

Many of the friendships I have today are a direct result of Dr. McKay offering a dumb kid from a non marching program a scholarship.

Arrangements are still incomplete at this time.

Please lift his family, and our Tiger family up in prayer during this difficult time.
08-30-2016 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Dr. Sidney J. McKay
RIP Sidney
Known him and his family all my life. Great man, great Tiger fan and great family.
08-30-2016 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tiger86 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-30-2016 01:29 PM)madtiger Wrote:  If this is a pope, then my apologies.

Longtime University of Memphis Director of Bands Dr. Sidney McKay passed away yesterday morning.

Those of us that spent time in the MSOTS will never forget the profound impact he had on our lives.

Many of the friendships I have today are a direct result of Dr. McKay offering a dumb kid from a non marching program a scholarship.

Please lift his family, and our Tiger family up in prayer during this difficult time.

My hero. Whipped some drunk Ole Miss fan's a$$ right in front of the band at Vaught Hemingway in 1984, and then they arrested the Ole Miss pr!ck! Awesome! RIP Dr. McKay!
08-30-2016 03:06 PM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-30-2016 03:06 PM)tiger86 Wrote:  

My hero. Whipped some drunk Ole Miss fan's a$$ right in front of the band at Vaught Hemingway in 1984, and then they arrested the Ole Miss pr!ck! Awesome! RIP Dr. McKay!

Talk about a life well lived!
08-30-2016 03:09 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
"Whipped some drunk Ole Miss fan's a$$ right in front of the band at Vaught Hemingway in 1984, and then they arrested the Ole Miss pr!ck!..."

great. story.

many many 04-cheers to Dr. Sidney McKay
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2016 03:10 PM by snowtiger.)
08-30-2016 03:09 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards

Id like to hear more details about this story.
08-30-2016 03:15 PM
Advertisement

tiger86 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-30-2016 03:15 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Details are fuzzy due to 1) length of time that has elapsed and 2) I was doing a lot of drugs that day.

The blackbear pr!ck was in front of the band talking $hit and yelling at the band. Dr. McKay came over and told him to leave. They had words, Dr. McKay knocked him the %uck out, and the campus police took the blackbear to jail. The reason I know this is we lost one of our comrades down there that day and of course the first place we looked was the Oxford jail. The jailer said the only one they had locked up was the one who got his a$$ beat!

After searching for our guy for 3 hours we drove back to MEM. Our guy hitched a ride with someone else and had been back for 2 hours. Cell phones would have been handy back then. Great story.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2016 03:23 PM by tiger86.)
08-30-2016 03:20 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I hope at some game the band will have a moment of silence for Dr. McKay and also play a song in memory of him. Something on the jumbotron would be nice, too.
08-30-2016 03:53 PM
TigerRob Offline
Bench Warmer

I have very find memories of Doc some of which I still laugh about. I have no clue how we survived so long at an instructor of college kids. The things college kids do would amaze you.

1989 Memphis State versus Alabama down at Birmingham. I was on one of the buses with the nuts. Someone had the bright idea to start rocking the bus before the game. The bus is really rocking back and forth. Doc gets on the bus and yells at everyone "Are you stupid?". That was classic Doc response.

I could go on and on with stories.

I will never forget Doc and the huge impact he had on so many lives. I was thinking about him last week wondering how he was doing and then was saddened to hear of his passing today. RIP Doc
08-30-2016 04:12 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(08-30-2016 03:20 PM)tiger86 Wrote:  
(08-30-2016 03:15 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Details are fuzzy due to 1) length of time that has elapsed and 2) I was doing a lot of drugs that day.

The blackbear pr!ck was in front of the band talking $hit and yelling at the band. Dr. McKay came over and told him to leave. They had words, Dr. McKay knocked him the %uck out, and the campus police took the blackbear to jail. The reason I know this is we lost one of our comrades down there that day and of course the first place we looked was the Oxford jail. The jailer said the only one they had locked up was the one who got his a$$ beat!

After searching for our guy for 3 hours we drove back to MEM. Our guy hitched a ride with someone else and had been back for 2 hours. Cell phones would have been handy back then. Great story.

good times.
08-30-2016 04:13 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

That story will go down in Tiger history now.

It should've been there already. lol
08-30-2016 04:46 PM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Online
Hall of Famer

I'm really kinda curious how you wild sonsofb*tches survived drugs and unsobriety back in the day without cell phones.

Makes me shudder.
08-30-2016 04:49 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

lol. Good thing there weren't any. We woulda dropped 'em in toilets...just to see if they would float... or thrown them off buildings to see if they would fly.

Or even used 'em to pop popcorn.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2016 05:20 PM by snowtiger.)
08-30-2016 05:05 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(08-30-2016 04:12 PM)TigerRob Wrote:  I have very find memories of Doc some of which I still laugh about. I have no clue how we survived so long at an instructor of college kids. The things college kids do would amaze you.

1989 Memphis State versus Alabama down at Birmingham. I was on one of the buses with the nuts. Someone had the bright idea to start rocking the bus before the game. The bus is really rocking back and forth. Doc gets on the bus and yells at everyone "Are you stupid?". That was classic Doc response.

I could go on and on with stories.

I will never forget Doc and the huge impact he had on so many lives. I was thinking about him last week wondering how he was doing and then was saddened to hear of his passing today. RIP Doc

got more stories? I love them.
08-30-2016 05:28 PM
SouthernMSTiger Offline
Special Teams

How deep is my respect for this man, one of my personal heroes? As sad as this is to admit, I haven't made it back to Memphis in 9 years . . . but I will return to attend Dr. McKay's funeral on Saturday. What a kind, generous spirit he had.
08-30-2016 06:07 PM
TigernBear Offline
Water Engineer

LOL, I was in that band...was a good day.
08-30-2016 09:53 PM
Advertisement

TigernBear Offline
Water Engineer

My freshman year, before we went to the Tulane game, I remember him on his ladder telling us about this drink called the "Hurricane" and how we freshman should avoid it. Of course, that advice didn't sit, but I can still hear his voice. He was a good guy.
08-30-2016 09:58 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(08-30-2016 06:07 PM)SouthernMSTiger Wrote:  How deep is my respect for this man, one of my personal heroes? As sad as this is to admit, I haven't made it back to Memphis in 9 years . . . but I will return to attend Dr. McKay's funeral on Saturday. What a kind, generous spirit he had.

...and the game Saturday evening??? 04-cheers
08-30-2016 10:11 PM
msu89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: More Kool-Aid
MSOTS 89-93. RIP Doc
08-30-2016 10:20 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
MSOS 97-99
He was a good man, and a fantastic educator
08-31-2016 09:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.