(08-29-2016 01:28 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote: It's finally football week and I'm pumped. Let's do a simple guess the score. This is a hard game to predict. A new coach for Tech may want to try and run it up in his first game. Beamer would have gotten up by 21 or so and shut it down. Tech is favored by 29. Liberty has covered every spread over the last 6 years against FBS opponents. I see them doing the same here. Special teams and turn over will either keep us close or any we get blown out. My prediction is:
Tech 38 Liberty 14
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CSNbbs mobile app
Winner! Nice going, only a net 3 points away.
As for Liberty's performance, wow was it a mixed bag.
- Despite the score and yardage, I thought our defense is pretty good. It must have been hard when the offense converted like one third down all day (in the fourth quarter no less) but I felt the defense did an admirable job in spite of the circumstances. Need a better pass rush. The only time we got a good rush ended up with a strip-sack to basically give us (only) six points.
- We did a great job getting turnovers. Nice job playing until the whistle on the fumble-six and the aforementioned strip-sack.
- Our punting unit did well. [Womp, womp, womp... Wish I could think of other positives besides punting] We were smart to jump on the ball after it nailed the Virginia Tech blocker in the back to set us up with great field position early in the game. I don't remember any big punt returns or any shanked punts.
- Oh my, where to (false) start...? I don't know how many boneheaded penalties and plays we had. How undisciplined were our offensive linemen? That was EMBARRASSING! Blocking wasn't an issue either. We just couldn't be still pre-snap. The announcers kept mentioning we practiced a ton to be ready for it too. Ugh.
- Quarterback play was atrocious. Masha wasn't very accurate throwing the ball. Granted, Virginia Tech has a great defense and they didn't give him much time to throw, but he'd throw a four yard pass to a guy covered with another defender nearby when we needed 8 yards to get a first down when it was third down. Give the team a chance for goodness sakes. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. And the interceptions killed us. At least he's a good runner.
- Unforced errors hurt a lot. We had the high snap that had absolutely nothing to do with the skill level of Virginia Tech and everything to do with poor execution of Liberty. Two plays later and they score a TD thanks to a wide open receiver that would have scored from anywhere on the field because he wasn't covered.
- Special teams sure were special. We missed an extra point, ran a punt return into a safety, and kicked a kickoff out of bounds. At least punting was good!
- Coaching sucked. Why did we run one screen play when VT's defense was blitzing the crap out of us? Why did it take until the middle/late third quarter to do that? Why did we get that stupid delay of game penalty that knocked us out of field goal range? And then (read this as if I'm clenching my teeth in anger) we call a timeout because we are about to get another delay of game penalty on the next play when we already conceded that we'd punt? Why the heck didn't we call timeout the first time and then kick a field goal? STUPID! I already harped on the seemingly unprepared and undisciplined penalties. Our offense was gag-inducing and Coach Gill's specialty is offense right? He was a quarterback right?
Overall a rather disappointing start to the season. We definitely weren't the better team and Virginia Tech played great and deserved to win. Kudos to them. I was surprised that our offensive and defensive lines didn't look over-matched and our defense even had some swagger which was neat. The refs were great and the commentary was unbiased.