Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Colin Kaepernick Disses the National Anthem
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
[Image: Colin-Kaepernick-sad.jpg]

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has willingly immersed himself into controversy by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
-- nfl.com

MILLIONAIRE BY HALFTIME
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 12:09 PM by green.)
08-27-2016 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Colin Kaepernick Disses the National Anthem
I don't watch pro-football period so I really don't care. I'm already doing my part.

That said, that is outright disgraceful. But, it is the natural progression when you frame every issue as a moral one. Eventually, people have the approval of their conscience to do disgraceful or despicable things.
08-27-2016 12:32 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Actions have consequences. It is a bold(and IMO poorly executed) statement by Kap. I hope he did some thinking about it ahead of time and is prepared for the certain fall out.
08-27-2016 12:41 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
What a ******* disgrace! Yes, he is very oppressed in his multi million dollar home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-27-2016 12:55 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
CK is a punk for not standing. His freedoms and liberties, earning millions of dollars playing a GAME with endorsements and the right to disagree/fight against injustices without the threat of being imprisoned or worse is the result of the generations that lived before him of all colors paving the way through blood, sweat and tears. Does he realize all the folks that have died protecting people of color to include police and firemen? What about blacks that died or have been permanently injured from serving in our armed forces? How about persons who have invested in African American neighborhoods or have hired persons of color for job opportunities? This is not the platform or the place to do this. If you're upset, then get involved with actual boots on the ground work, volunteerism, education, mentoring, community activism, financial giving, etc. Put your anger to work with tangible results Mr. K.

IMO, the 49ers blew it with a typical PC wimp out:

Quote:The 49ers, for their part, issued a statement to Pro Football Talk: "The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."
Cop Out

In other words, we will condone this behavior moving forward. What will you do when someone doesn't want to stand because they feel the unemployment rate reflects discrimination against minorities? The public education system needs fixed? There aren't enough housing opportunities? See how this works?
08-27-2016 01:01 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
people want athletes to take a stand until they don't agree with it. I'm fine with it on a first amendment principal. He needs to worry more about getting his career back on track though.
08-27-2016 01:01 PM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(08-27-2016 12:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't watch pro-football period so I really don't care. I'm already doing my part.

That said, that is outright disgraceful. But, it is the natural progression when you frame every issue as a moral one. Eventually, people have the approval of their conscience to do disgraceful or despicable things.

Comma colon semi-colon parentheses exclamation point question mark
08-27-2016 01:03 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I'm not a fan and I hope it hurts him where it hurts, in his wallet.
08-27-2016 01:03 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Quote:This is not the platform or the place to do this. If you're upset, then get involved with actual boots on the ground work, volunteerism, education, mentoring, community activism, financial giving, etc. Put your anger to work with tangible results Mr. K.

How do you know that he doesn't do all those things?
08-27-2016 01:10 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(08-27-2016 01:03 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I'm not a fan and I hope it hurts him where it hurts, in his wallet.

He claims he doesn't care about the millions and millions of dollars he'll presumably lose because in his delusional mind he's standing for what's right. He's wrong and he does care about the millions he'll lose. But that's just him trying to get out in front of the inevitable.
08-27-2016 01:11 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

(08-27-2016 01:11 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(08-27-2016 01:03 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I'm not a fan and I hope it hurts him where it hurts, in his wallet.

He claims he doesn't care about the millions and millions of dollars he'll presumably lose because in his delusional mind he's standing for what's right. He's wrong and he does care about the millions he'll lose. But that's just him trying to get out in front of the inevitable.

I disagree. He hasn't held back on his views on social issues. I don't agree with them, but it is refreshing to see out of an NFL player where you have to conform or you get blackballed unless you are a first tier player. He probably could have had more endorsements if he was of the Russell Wilson mold.
08-27-2016 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
This is why your birth parents didn't want you Colin.
08-27-2016 01:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(08-27-2016 01:23 PM)Niner National Wrote:  This is why your birth parents didn't want you Colin.

OUCH!
08-27-2016 01:24 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(08-27-2016 01:23 PM)Niner National Wrote:  This is why your birth parents didn't want you Colin.

Damn! 03-lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-27-2016 01:41 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
"There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

So his "principled" stand is based on a falsehood.
08-27-2016 01:43 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
He's going to really enjoy the Canadian League.
08-27-2016 02:14 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-27-2016 01:10 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
Quote:This is not the platform or the place to do this. If you're upset, then get involved with actual boots on the ground work, volunteerism, education, mentoring, community activism, financial giving, etc. Put your anger to work with tangible results Mr. K.

How do you know that he doesn't do all those things?

He may have. It would seem he is crashing those efforts into the ground if that is the case. You want to try and build consensus and bring folks together from diverse points of view to resolve social problems. Not standing for the national anthem in a public venue (why everyone else around him is) only causes division and hurts his efforts to invoke real change IMO.
08-27-2016 02:25 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(08-27-2016 12:06 PM)green Wrote:  [Image: Colin-Kaepernick-sad.jpg]

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has willingly immersed himself into controversy by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
-- nfl.com

MILLIONAIRE BY HALFTIME

What an opportunity to quit football a pursue your dreams of helping. Your passion is wasted with football!
08-27-2016 02:34 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(08-27-2016 01:20 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
(08-27-2016 01:11 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

I disagree. He hasn't held back on his views on social issues. I don't agree with them, but it is refreshing to see out of an NFL player where you have to conform or you get blackballed unless you are a first tier player. He probably could have had more endorsements if he was of the Russell Wilson mold.

...and you'd be 100% wrong on that. This is the very first time he's taken a stand on anything. Colin Kaepernick cared about one thing before this ill-advised and ignorant stand.....Colin Kaepernick.
08-27-2016 02:40 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
He doesn't like his country eh?. Well, in what other country could he be a millionaire? In what other country could he achieve the success he has achieved? Maybe he could try Bolivia!

What products and/or services does he endorse? Maybe I need to change my spending habits!
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 02:50 PM by TheDancinMonarch.)
08-27-2016 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.