Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Couple mutineers in board the boat
Bookmark and Share
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
Couple mutineers in board the boat
http://deadspin.com/report-two-western-m...839057?utm

Shame, but there's bad apples in every program. At least no one was hurt and Peej did the right thing in suspending them indefinitely

Also damn, meant ON board...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 10:37 AM by Stay Cool.)
08-27-2016 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
RE: Couple mutineers in board the boat
You can edit titles if you click and hold from the forum page.
08-27-2016 10:40 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
Eh, not important enough

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
08-27-2016 10:53 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Looks like they'll row the boat down river....
08-28-2016 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I know they are predicted because of their recruiting classes but somehow I doubt that WMU actually wins the West.

The west will come down to Toledo vs. NIU as it does every year I imagine.
08-28-2016 04:49 PM
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It only took a local TV station an hour to find out that one of the players involved had a previous arrest involving a gun. Fleck is dancing around the issue.

http://woodtv.com/2016/08/29/1-of-2-wmu-...-invasion/
08-29-2016 10:15 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
When it comes to (the lack of) properly vetting recruits, this isn't just WMU. It's across the board. Hardly any colleges perform criminal background checks during the recruiting process. I was pretty surprised - and disappointed - by this. I would've assumed this was standard operating procedure. It's not like it takes a lot of time or costs to run some checks.

Quote:The number of players with criminal histories turned up by the SI/CBS News investigation reinforces a pervasive assumption that college coaches are willing to recruit players with questionable pasts to win. More surprising, however, is just how little digging college coaches do into players' backgrounds before offering them a scholarship.

Among the 25 schools in the investigation, only two -- TCU and Oklahoma -- perform any type of regular criminal background searches on recruits. But even TCU and Oklahoma don't look at juvenile records. No school does, even though football and basketball players are among the most high-profile representatives of a university. (Of the 25 schools, only Virginia Tech did any type of background checks on admitted students, and admissions questionnaires at more than half the other universities ask applicants if they have ever been arrested.)

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/03/02/cfb-crime
08-30-2016 06:56 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I should add this is why I've never called out other schools or coaches when criminality happens, because it's bound to happen sooner or later at your own.

The White and George incident at WMU was a more extreme situation, that was some harder core 'gangsta' type of awfulness that went down. This was more than just a bar fight or a shoplift. But when you have over a hundred 18-21 year olds, many from rough neighborhoods and with more testosterone than the Average Joe... ugly behavior is bound to happen eventually.

As I noted in my previous post, I'd like to see all colleges take a harder look at checks when recruiting. We can allow "second chances" in cases, but sometimes it's better to pass on some habitual bad apples.
08-30-2016 07:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.