MLive: Heather Lyke & EMU Athletics' money problems
08-23-2016 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: MLive: Heather Lyke & EMU Athletics' money problems
And articles like this are helping the program how? Just raking the school over those HBO coals over and over and recruits as well. And by the way I've already pointed this out but I will again. Last year they added all sorts of benefits for season ticket holders and this year they get one free hot dog. I can actually get a cheaper per game ticket price with better benefits through the Alumni package. How that's for marketing? And while I agree we need to keep everyone safe at games, the new freezer bag clear policy isn't fan friendly in my opinion. And why we have more TV exposure we actually have less attendance for Friday night games or mid week games. Well they did save some money at the season tickets look cheaper and less glossy then last years.
08-23-2016 12:59 PM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: eastern
(08-23-2016 12:59 PM)emu79 Wrote:  And articles like this are helping the program how? Just raking the school over those HBO coals over and over and recruits as well. And by the way I've already pointed this out but I will again.

Does a news article following up on the shii storm that is the Athletic Department's spending of money from the general fund have to help the program? Is that what the fourth estate is for? I expect these types of stories to be written in the paper and produced on TV until things change.
08-23-2016 03:59 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear TimBuck2,
What things do you want changed?
08-23-2016 04:03 PM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

Anything but the status quo. I don't have answers, but people shouldn't complain about news articles pointing out a continual problem because they're hurting the athletics department.
08-23-2016 04:10 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

ALL MAC football programs being paid for by their students. Next.
08-23-2016 04:10 PM
Advertisement

TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

(08-23-2016 04:10 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  ALL MAC football programs being paid for by their students. Next.

To the extent of EMU's? It's newsworthy, especially to general students paying for college.

Love the superfans with their heads stuck in the sand.
08-23-2016 04:18 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Sorry few college CE programs pay their own way mac or non mac sure this news four months ago if that's what you call news its been like this for decades yes they are trying the beer and food truck thing so that's new I think season ticket holders deserve the best deal and better deals each they renew my problem is when they one step forward for the fans they find a way to undo it not sure constructive criticism is what the ad wants glad the giving is up what would help is better attendance at football and men's hoops for perception purposes nice to you posting again timbuck its been a while
08-23-2016 04:31 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(08-23-2016 04:18 PM)TimBuck2 Wrote:  
(08-23-2016 04:10 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  ALL MAC football programs being paid for by their students. Next.

To the extent of EMU's? It's newsworthy, especially to general students paying for college.

Love the superfans with their heads stuck in the sand.

I don't know the exact extent, nor does it really matter. If you know, go ahead and tell everyone.

Superfan, yes, we need more, hope you're one of them. Head in the sand? Most of the MAC has poor attendance and athletic programs way in the red. The vast majority of all D1 programs are in the red. Part of the cost of doing business until someone figures out a better model.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2016 04:51 PM by EagleTough.)
08-23-2016 04:46 PM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

Is there a catch 22 here? If a school raises tuition then the value of the scholarship also increases therefore requiring a greater subsidy. Is one of the answers to reduce tuition cost? Serious question. I don't know all the ins and outs of school funding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
08-23-2016 09:09 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
The academic world is on fire with budget cuts due to lack of state funding, and we continue to be dragged through the mud because of incessant spending on a horrific product.

If we look incredibly tone deaf, it's because we are...
08-23-2016 09:35 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-23-2016 09:35 PM)holybovine Wrote:  The academic world is on fire with budget cuts due to lack of state funding, and we continue to be dragged through the mud because of incessant spending on a horrific product.

If we look incredibly tone deaf, it's because we are...

and we have alot of company in that department.....
08-24-2016 02:50 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

New m live article mentions all three mac schools in mi all over the holier than thou msu sports stations this am but in 10 years the msu model will have problems less student interest and soaring ticket prices
08-24-2016 06:54 AM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

People should stop deflecting and stating that other schools, including other MAC institutions support athletics via the general fund. There is a serious problem at EMU and the AD (with the support of the new president) have doubled down on running things the same way, which have not worked.

emu79, I assume you saw the HBO segment featuring EMU's financial pitfall, right?
08-24-2016 10:07 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-24-2016 10:07 AM)TimBuck2 Wrote:  People should stop deflecting and stating that other schools, including other MAC institutions support athletics via the general fund. There is a serious problem at EMU and the AD (with the support of the new president) have doubled down on running things the same way, which have not worked.

emu79, I assume you saw the HBO segment featuring EMU's financial pitfall, right?

Yes but I have problems when people either don't check all sources or don't put the story in context with college sports or fellow mac schools or point out emus unique circumstances.
08-24-2016 10:22 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

The current funding of college athletics is broken and needs to be fixed
08-24-2016 10:24 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-24-2016 10:24 AM)emu79 Wrote:  The current funding of college athletics is broken and needs to be fixed

It is pretty much 'free enterprise, free market' commercial enterprise. Free enterprise economic systems rewards the strong and punishes, even weeds out, the weak.

E.g., B1G and MAC both have national television contracts. The problem is that one might pay 1M / school / year while the one in the other conference (B1G) pays 20, 30 or 40 times as much [as in the other conference (MAC)].

Those decisions are made in the commercial television markets by the networks (e.g., ABC/ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, etc.) based on ratings, etc. (just like most other television programming, e.g., Olympics, World Cup, etc.).

The gate receipts from ONE OSU home FB game is probably somewhere between 5 and 10M dollars.

The gate receipts from ONE Akron home game might be 100 - 150K.

Those decisions (to attend and how much to pay for a ticket) are made by consumers who put a 'value' on entertainment. I could buy two EMU season FB tickets for the price of one Detroit Lions ticket.

In a pure free enterprise system the MAC (and many other conferences) would not survive. Their existence is because the individual schools subsidize their athletic programs (for many positive reasons).

This contrasts with NFL which have very extensive television contracts which puts ALL teams on equal footing. I believe some have said each team starts with about 80% of its revenue in the bank (from television) even if it went winless and attendance was pathetic. In the NFL a team can go win less and still make money because so much revenue is 'baked in' the P&L statement simply by membership in the NFL.

Some have called the NFL 'socialized' enterprise where the bulk of revenues, distributed by the league, are shared equally.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 12:01 PM by emu steve.)
08-24-2016 11:43 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-24-2016 11:43 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(08-24-2016 10:24 AM)emu79 Wrote:  The current funding of college athletics is broken and needs to be fixed

It is pretty much 'free enterprise, free market' commercial enterprise. Free enterprise economic systems rewards the strong and punishes, even weeds out, the weak.

E.g., B1G and MAC both have national television contracts. The problem is that one might pay 1M / school / year while the one in the other conference but 20, 30 or 40 times as much in the other conference.

The gate receipts from ONE OSU home game is probably somewhere between 5 and 10M dollars.

In a pure free enterprise system the MAC (and many other conferences) would not survive. Their existence is because the individual schools subsidize their athletic programs (for many positive reasons).

This contrasts with NFL which have very extensive television contracts which puts ALL teams on equal footing. Some have called the NFL 'socialized' enterprise where the bulk of revenues, distributed by the league, are shared equally.

How true but our college system isn't working while the NFL is. I wonder how many high school or community college programs are self sufficient? The other issue I see is that college football and men's hoops are free farm systems for the pros. All the major pro leagues have a luxury tax to level the playing field. Just some thoughts.
08-24-2016 11:54 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

And taxpayers subsidize new arenas like Red Wings and businesses take business expenses for sports tickets so students and the public support sports out of their pockets in various ways many are not aware of the NFL is a not for profit and I believe is tax exempt
08-24-2016 12:08 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-24-2016 11:54 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(08-24-2016 11:43 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

E.g., B1G and MAC both have national television contracts. The problem is that one might pay 1M / school / year while the one in the other conference but 20, 30 or 40 times as much in the other conference.

The gate receipts from ONE OSU home game is probably somewhere between 5 and 10M dollars.

This contrasts with NFL which have very extensive television contracts which puts ALL teams on equal footing. Some have called the NFL 'socialized' enterprise where the bulk of revenues, distributed by the league, are shared equally.

How true but our college system isn't working while the NFL is. I wonder how many high school or community college programs are self sufficient? The other issue I see is that college football and men's hoops are free farm systems for the pros. All the major pro leagues have a luxury tax to level the playing field. Just some thoughts.

Yes, the NFL could be good neighbors for the colleges, etc. and contribute.

It would be nice if the NFL would 'give' each conference something like 50 - 200M depending on the number of draftees over some time period.

That would, e.g., make each college FB program essentially financially self-sufficient.

Drop 4M (from the NFL distributed by the MAC) on EMU for its FB program and Lyke could tell Bunisis that revenues attributable to football are sufficient to pay the football bills.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 12:15 PM by emu steve.)
08-24-2016 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.