Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pat Dye lauds USM
Bookmark and Share
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
Pat Dye lauds USM
Former Auburn coach on Finebaum today .. " They had unlimited Prop 48 players at Southern Mississippi then. Defensively they had as good a team as anybody in the country. They've got a great tradition down there in football and players and so forth. I hope they get that program up and running and get back as competitive as they used to be. They'd play anyone anywhere. They didn't always win but you knew they'd been to town when they left."
08-19-2016 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Pat Dye lauds USM
that's some awesome quotes right there.
08-19-2016 03:26 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Except we didn't take unlimited props.
08-19-2016 03:47 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

That old Prop 48 myth again. We did take some props, but not unlimited.
08-19-2016 04:39 PM
tg300 Offline
Banned

SEC schools have been telling that lie my whole lifetime.
08-19-2016 05:06 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

Found the podcast. starts around the 9:30 mark. theres a few other good things said as well. very nice pub for us any way you slice it.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=17349027
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 06:12 PM by Reggie Favre.)
08-19-2016 05:49 PM
Advertisement

Crow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: So Miss
I believe because we are a state public univ we were under the exact same prop numbers as old piss and moou. If my memory is correct
08-19-2016 05:58 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
that back-handed tickle ball little weenie sec biatch....

at least the bear had the balls to state the 'why' in proper manly fashion after reggie and company showed up....

lends to the class of neb after getting a standing O beating them in Lincoln....

some crews have class....

and then there's the others (like all those sec little whiny turd fergusons)
08-19-2016 06:09 PM
1st String

(08-19-2016 05:49 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  mind expanding on what brought up the discussion of USM?

Dye was asked about what he thought of P5s opening the season with tough opponents. He expounded that they often opened with teams "like USM" who were tough and let you know right away how good you were. He spoke very favorably about the Eagles, as did Finebaum, noting victories over Bama and FSU.
08-19-2016 06:21 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-19-2016 06:21 PM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 05:49 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  mind expanding on what brought up the discussion of USM?

Dye was asked about what he thought of P5s opening the season with tough opponents. He expounded that they often opened with teams "like USM" who were tough and let you know right away how good you were. He spoke very favorably about the Eagles, as did Finebaum, noting victories over Bama and FSU.

thanks. I had found the podcast, edited my response and posted it.

nice find, thanks.
08-19-2016 06:29 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2016 05:06 PM)tg300 Wrote:  SEC schools have been telling that lie my whole lifetime.

Never forget when Saban was at lsu and said on his call in show that they would not schedule us because of the prop issue. Someone called Jeff who called into sabans show and corrected him on air.
08-19-2016 06:47 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(08-19-2016 06:21 PM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  mind expanding on what brought up the discussion of USM?

[/quote]

...which begs the question

how much longer do you think that will last?

notice how we open with KY jello and have Lswhoo in Nov....rarefied air these days just having to sec folks on the schedule....

as realignment continues and the division of monies continue. taking a chance on a 'beatable' team becomes a huge problem in southern miss' future....

look at the other two ooc 'compliments' this year.....

I love what we did in the past....but the future is getting sucked into the abyss....

and screw Pat Dye too....
08-19-2016 07:00 PM
1st String

(08-19-2016 07:00 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  Which begs the question how much longer do you think that will last?

Memories of success? Forever

Chances of it happening again? Twenty minutes.
08-19-2016 07:37 PM
stinkfist Offline

(08-19-2016 07:37 PM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 07:00 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  Which begs the question how much longer do you think that will last?

Memories of success? Forever

Chances of it happening again? Twenty minutes.

XACLY!
08-19-2016 08:01 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(08-19-2016 02:54 PM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  Former Auburn coach on Finebaum today .. " They had unlimited Prop 48 players at Southern Mississippi then. Defensively they had as good a team as anybody in the country. They've got a great tradition down there in football and players and so forth. I hope they get that program up and running and get back as competitive as they used to be. They'd play anyone anywhere. They didn't always win but you knew they'd been to town when they left."

Thanks for sharing that.
08-19-2016 08:21 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Will never forget going to Auburn when Reggie played. Pat the Tie was the coach then I believe. We went ahead late in the game and on Auburns last possession we were flagged for, I believe THREE PIs. This back when they placed the ball at the spot of the foul. The last being in the end zone placing the ball at the one. Biggest screw job I ever witnessed. Swore then I would never go back to any game in the state of Alabama. I've been back I'll admit but I will always have a bad taste in my mouth for that place.
08-19-2016 09:26 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(08-19-2016 09:26 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Will never forget going to Auburn when Reggie played. Pat the Tie was the coach then I believe. We went ahead late in the game and on Auburns last possession we were flagged for, I believe THREE PIs. This back when they placed the ball at the spot of the foul. The last being in the end zone placing the ball at the one. Biggest screw job I ever witnessed. Swore then I would never go back to any game in the state of Alabama. I've been back I'll admit but I will always have a bad taste in my mouth for that place.

if someone can find a better site for memories (stats) doing the due within those 'mammarys', I thee challenge...

here's the starting line for fuel....it's a sin southernmiss.com hasn't developed this one or something even better in conjunction with the vid side of the equation....fk'n morons that dep't is....

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/scho...ssissippi/
08-21-2016 12:29 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
That prop 48 myth was always used by the SEC to justify close games or embarrassing losses....however, they NEVER spoke of their many advantages compared to our one so-called advantage.

I don't think we've accepted ANY non-qualifiers the last 20 years...but even C-USA brethren on here (many of them still take non-qualifiers) also spread that myth.03-banghead

Don't worry, IF (yes, "IF", BDR04-rock) we beat UK it will rear it's ugly head again, guaranteed!04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 03:03 PM by eaglebeaver.)
08-21-2016 03:00 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

Shoot, when DeAndre Brown signed with us instead of the Mighty Fightin' Bayou Bengals, everybody under the sun was saying it was because of our "non-BCS" academic standards, which weren't then and still aren't an actual thing.
08-21-2016 06:02 PM
jebaroo Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-19-2016 06:47 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 05:06 PM)tg300 Wrote:  SEC schools have been telling that lie my whole lifetime.

Never forget when Saban was at lsu and said on his call in show that they would not schedule us because of the prop issue. Someone called Jeff who called into sabans show and corrected him on air.

The reverand sherrill would always use that excuse as to why he would not play southern miss. If I recall, the SEC had limit of 2 prop 48 players and while the CUSA did not have a limit, Southern miss always had a self-imposed 2 player limit.

One year, Memphis beat msucks, memphis that year had something like 17 prop 48 players, more that anyone in the nation. I called his call-in show and asked sherrill, why he played memphis with 17 prop 48 players but would not play southern miss with only 2 ( the same as the SEC ) ....he gave some rambling non-answer about he had no idea how many prop 48 players memphis had, blah blah blah then they hung up on me.
08-22-2016 10:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.