Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Son Back In Dekalb for Sophomore Year
Bookmark and Share
Homewood Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU and ND
Son Back In Dekalb for Sophomore Year
Dropped off son last night for his sophomore year on campus. Had dinner at Pizza Villa and just made it before closing at 9:30pm. Made a stop at Walmart around 10:30pm and it was hopping. I will be back on campus for parent weekend!!!!
08-18-2016 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YoungPup Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Son Back In Dekalb for Sophomore Year
(08-18-2016 09:20 PM)Homewood Huskie Wrote:  Dropped off son last night for his sophomore year on campus. Had dinner at Pizza Villa and just made it before closing at 9:30pm. Made a stop at Walmart around 10:30pm and it was hopping. I will be back on campus for parent weekend!!!!

What's his major?
08-18-2016 09:34 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
You're a great Dad! I remember the tollbooth guy on Annie Glidden remark to my parents they were dropping the kid back at the "brain factory". This was 91.....good times.
08-18-2016 09:56 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(08-18-2016 09:20 PM)Homewood Huskie Wrote:  Dropped off son last night for his sophomore year on campus. Had dinner at Pizza Villa and just made it before closing at 9:30pm. Made a stop at Walmart around 10:30pm and it was hopping. I will be back on campus for parent weekend!!!!
Going to Pizza Villa is like taking a trip in a time machine. Nothing has changed except the prices. My son and I had pizza there last month. I sat in the the heavy wood chairs with an arm rest. The same chairs and tables I used back in 1975. The furniture has withstood the test of time for 41 years. The long counter is the same. The exposed brick walls are the same. Then American Pie comes on over the speakers and the world was perfect again.

Then my son and I went to the Shamrock aka Lord Stanley. I swear the same people I left there years ago are still sitting at the bar and listening to the Foot Stompers. The same band that played there 40 years ago but the players are all over 65. I know the men's room has never been upgraded.

DeKalb is where time stands still.
08-18-2016 10:27 PM
Advertisement

niu16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: biu
08-19-2016 03:20 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2016 10:27 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  
Going to Pizza Villa is like taking a trip in a time machine. Nothing has changed except the prices. My son and I had pizza there last month. I sat in the the heavy wood chairs with an arm rest. The same chairs and tables I used back in 1975. The furniture has withstood the test of time for 41 years. The long counter is the same. The exposed brick walls are the same. Then American Pie comes on over the speakers and the world was perfect again.

Then my son and I went to the Shamrock aka Lord Stanley. I swear the same people I left there years ago are still sitting at the bar and listening to the Foot Stompers. The same band that played there 40 years ago but the players are all over 65. I know the men's room has never been upgraded.

I saw the dekalb footstompers at Andys Tap and at Fattys...decades later
08-19-2016 07:08 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

I love Pizza Villa. And one of the reasons I love it is exactly what you stated - it has not changed and withstands the test of time. That's why I also love the Junction, VCB, Holmes Student Center, etc. (although HSC is on the verge of change). Where else can you go and relive the memories and exact same feelings you had when you went to college over 40 years ago?! Heck, I remember sitting in the uncomfortable, lumpy booths at the Junction in the mid-1970s. I swear those same lumps are in the same booths today - and my butt still hurts. But, gosh, how I love it.
08-19-2016 07:49 AM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
(08-19-2016 07:49 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

I love Pizza Villa. And one of the reasons I love it is exactly what you stated - it has not changed and withstands the test of time. That's why I also love the Junction, VCB, Holmes Student Center, etc. (although HSC is on the verge of change). Where else can you go and relive the memories and exact same feelings you had when you went to college over 40 years ago?! Heck, I remember sitting in the uncomfortable, lumpy booths at the Junction in the mid-1970s. I swear those same lumps are in the same booths today - and my butt still hurts. But, gosh, how I love it.

but there is no grotto...03-pissed
08-19-2016 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-19-2016 09:26 AM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  

but there is no grotto...03-pissed

I live vicariously through the warm memories......that, and a well-lotioned hand. 03-weeping
08-19-2016 09:38 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

The junction was always the go to place of my parents and I. Never will forget getting my dorm key the first day and then going to lunch with my parents at the junction and leaving my dorm key at the booth we were sitting in and having to go back to find it. That made them hesitate that I was not ready for college. Great cinnamon rolls at the junction
08-19-2016 10:05 AM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
(08-19-2016 10:05 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

The junction was always the go to place of my parents and I. Never will forget getting my dorm key the first day and then going to lunch with my parents at the junction and leaving my dorm key at the booth we were sitting in and having to go back to find it. That made them hesitate that I was not ready for college. Great cinnamon rolls at the junction

you're not ready for serious messageboard discussions either...

i kid
08-19-2016 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-19-2016 10:05 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

OMG, those cinnamon rolls were sent from heaven! My girlfriend (now wife) and I would go often for those delightful cinnamon rolls. It doesn't show on her, but it sure does on me. I think every cinnamon roll I ate became some part of my body. (I may have to show you this one particular cinnamon roll I ate in 1975!)

They still have cinnamon rolls, but they are not the same. Still very good, however. Ah, the memories!
08-19-2016 10:11 AM
HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

That' great man. You son should be having the time of his life right now.
08-22-2016 11:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.