4* OT commits to Memphis; beats out Bama, TN, Auburn, FL
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
4* OT commits to Memphis; beats out Bama, TN, Auburn, FL
Davidson Academy's Obinna Eze commits to Memphis
By Craig Harris, crharris@tennessean.com August 15, 2016

Davidson Academy senior standout Obinna Eze committed to Memphis on Monday afternoon.

Eze announced his choice on a Nashville radio station.

Eze – a 6-foot-7, 280-pound offensive tackle – had scholarship offers from all of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) schools with the exception of Arkansas and Texas A&M. Duke and four of those SEC schools – Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee – were among the final six that Eze considered, which he announced last week.

Rated a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Eze will make his varsity debut in Friday’s season opener against Friendship Christian. He was relegated to junior-varsity action last season due to Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association (TSSAA) eligibility rules pertaining to exchange students. The 18-year-old is the 26th-ranked offensive tackle in the Class of 2017 and the state’s eighth-ranked prospect overall.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/obinna-eze-c...to-memphis
08-15-2016 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: 4* OT commits to Memphis; beats out Bama, TN, Auburn, FL
Score one for the AAC over the SEC. Eze had 12 SEC offers.
08-15-2016 01:54 PM
TigerJJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tiger Victories
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Norvell is on track to have the Tigers' best recruiting class ever.
08-15-2016 02:05 PM
TxTiger79 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers

Folding@NCAAbbs
Sounds like a good young man.

Why Memphis?

I'm trying to find trust and relationship. Find people who want to deal with as I am.

When his mom comes to America wants her to see the son she raised, not some messed-up football player.

Quote:Outside of football I'm into music. I play the drums. I was in the choir.

Enjoy poetry & dance.
08-15-2016 02:07 PM
Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
Congrats.
08-15-2016 02:13 PM
MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(08-15-2016 01:53 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Davidson Academy's Obinna Eze commits to Memphis

Davidson Academy senior standout Obinna Eze committed to Memphis on Monday afternoon.

Eze – a 6-foot-7, 280-pound offensive tackle – had scholarship offers from all of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) schools with the exception of Arkansas and Texas A&M. Duke and four of those SEC schools – Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee – were among the final six that Eze considered, which he announced last week.

Rated a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Eze will make his varsity debut in Friday’s season opener against Friendship Christian. He was relegated to junior-varsity action last season due to Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association (TSSAA) eligibility rules pertaining to exchange students. The 18-year-old is the 26th-ranked offensive tackle in the Class of 2017 and the state’s eighth-ranked prospect overall.

Proves once again MT Alums hold no grudges against Memphis for refusing to play us and for bad mouthing our overtures toward the AAC! You do know former MTSU Star, and 7 year NFL veteran QB Jonathon Quinn is this kid's head coach, right? Of course, it's not like he would steer the kid to UT or Vandy03-lmfao
08-15-2016 02:18 PM
Advertisement

msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

Two Four Stars and 11 Three Stars now. Wow!
08-15-2016 02:21 PM
a cat but also a bear Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati
WOW!! Your new coach is killing it! Much love to our long time brothers in Memphis. #GoTigersGo
08-15-2016 02:28 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Rivals250 OT Obinna Eze commits to Memphis over SEC powers
Quote:Class of 2017 Nashville (Tenn.) Davidson Academy offensive lineman Obinna Eze has taken a unique road to football stardom and now he's using a unique approach to the recruiting process. Despite offers and overtures from some of the SEC's best programs, Eze committed to Memphis on Monday afternoon, shocking many recruiting onlookers.

But for the 6-foot-8 offensive lineman who moved from Nigeria to the United States to pursue an athletic career, it wasn't a decision he came to lightly.

"I choose Memphis because I have a great relationship with them," Eze said. "Recruiting is hard and people lie and say what they want but I was able to believe in them and trust them. They have a great business school and I found myself a great opportunity to play. I feel comfortable over there.”

While the decision may raise some eyebrows, Eze let it be known that he's his own man.

"My message has always been, me going to Memphis is like showing who I am as a person," Eze said. "Like I’ve always said, I don’t give a crap about names and conferences and big places. I give a crap about relationships and where I feel comfortable and who I can trust."

C2bpaq9zbag6mgx4ok5e
Obinna Eze
Eze came to a America without any family and said he wanted to find a campus and coaching staff that he knew would look after him both on and off the field.
"Coming here to America and not having my family it’s about who I can trust and who I can be comfortable around," Eze said. "Everything else comes after that. I’m not going to the SEC, but I have the people I can trust and I feel like I have a great opportunity can play and the right coach that can mold me into who I want to be as a player. I thin, it’s a perfect fit. I think it’s about fit and family and I think I found it in Memphis."

As far as how he will fit on the field, Eze said he's had regular conversations with the Tigers coaches about how he will develop once he's on campus.

"I don’t think there’s a huge pressure to force me to play right away," Eze said. "They’ve told me that if I’m good enough I will, but if not I’ll redshirt and I’ll be at my best after that. They have plans for me and how I'm going to get better if a guy knows what he’s doing he can make you better in a garage, you don't need fancy facilities. But they are upgrading stuff there, too, so I should have everything I need.

Eze's main recruiter for the Tigers has been offensive line coach Ryan Silverfield and the two have developed quite the bond during the recruiting process.

"Our relationship is great," Eze said. "I kind of feel like he’s an uncle or a big brother. I feel like I can talk to him about stuff outside of football. Probably more than any other coach I’ve dealt with."

Once he officially made his decision, Eze called the Memphis coaches to let them know and he said the staff was beyond thrilled.

"On the phone they were really excited– the head coach said 'you’ve made my day, you’ve made my year,'" Eze said. "I’m not going to say I’m really excited but I’m happy that I’m making a choice that I’m comfortable with. I finally feel like I’m ready. I’ve never been a guy that follows protocols and I'm glad to be taking my own path."

Eze joins four-star tight end Nick Robinson as the second four-star in the Tigers 2017 recruiting class.
08-15-2016 02:29 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-15-2016 01:53 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Davidson Academy's Obinna Eze commits to Memphis

yeah but can he spell his own name? 03-nerner
08-15-2016 02:52 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2016 02:52 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Well, he obviously can't spell "Bearcat."
08-15-2016 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(08-15-2016 03:06 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Well, he obviously can't spell "Bearcat."

lol we are saving our big recruits until AFTER the B12 is announced

i hope lol

otherwise we are screwed
08-15-2016 03:09 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

We got that covered. We also recruited a 4* speller in case a spelling bee breaks out. Very few 4* tackles are renaissance men.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 03:25 PM by shere khan.)
08-15-2016 03:23 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Memphis makes a statement with Obinna Eze pledge
Quote:All due respect to Group of Five programs around the country, but they don't usually land talents like Obinna Eze. Let's be more specific. They get some special talents, but they're overlooked, misevaluated and under-prioritized by the big dogs. All due respect to Group of Five programs but when they land a player with the offer list of Eze, it's usually because the Power Five programs didn't actually want him.That wasn't the case here though. A host of major Power Five players were actively recruiting and actively fighting to land the 6-foot-7, 280-pounder out of Nashville (Tenn.) Davidson Academy, and for good reason. Eze has first round NFL Draft upside. Legitimately there may not be a player in the entire class of 2017 with the ceiling that Eze has. No NFL Combine participant had longer arms than Eze in 2016. I've never seen a prospect improve more rapidly over the course of the year and I can't remember seeing a prospect as anxious to learn and compete as Eze.[br][br]For those reasons, this is the biggest Group of Five win on the recruiting trail that I can remember that didn't involve some family connection.[br][br]Eze has quickly become one of the premier names in the state of Tennessee and on the national recruiting scene. He earned an invite to The Opening Finals, an exclusive Nike camp this summer. He has dominated college camps and spring combines. He has rare feet and reactive quickness.So Group of Five coaches take note: swinging with big dogs can land you a home run but you better work your tail off to do it. Memphis offensive line coach Ryan Silverfield earned this pickup the old fashioned way. For months when Eze has talked about coaches, Silverfield has always been the first name out of his mouth, the most trusted coach, the best relationship. Silverfield's significant NFL background helped convince Eze that his significant NFL upside would be in good hands.We knew when Mike Norvell took over at Memphis that recruiting would be in good hands. This is just a shot across the bow of other AAC and even SEC programs that when Memphis is on an elite kid, that's a program that has a puncher's chance.
http://memphis.247sports.com/Bolt/Memphi...e-46778748
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 03:28 PM by M1T4.)
08-15-2016 03:26 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(08-15-2016 03:23 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

We got that covered. We also recruited a 4* speller in case a spelling bee breaks out. Very few 4* tackles are renaissance men.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! quality
08-15-2016 03:36 PM
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

(08-15-2016 03:23 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Actually O Linemen have the highest number of audibles and play schemes second only to the QB. Most Offensive Linemen are highly intelligent.
08-15-2016 03:45 PM
Advertisement

msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

Here is the intelligence Hierarchy:
QB
OLine
DB
LB
WR
RB
Cheerleader
Kicker
Dirt
DLine
08-15-2016 03:48 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(08-15-2016 03:48 PM)msu65 Wrote:  Here is the intelligence Hierarchy:
The Band
QB
OLine
DB
LB
WR
RB
Cheerleader
Kicker
Dirt
DLine

Revised it a little.
08-15-2016 03:52 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I hope Norvell coaches as well as he recruits. If so, we will experience good seasons under his watch.
08-15-2016 03:57 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Very nice! Congrats Tigers!
08-15-2016 04:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.