Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sporting News - Big 12 expansion decision starts with BYU, Cincinnati, & Houston
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Sporting News - Big 12 expansion decision starts with BYU, Cincinnati, & Houston
Excerpt:

[Image: split-cincinnati-byu-houston-081416-gett...uality=100]

Who gets left out? Cincinnati, BYU or Houston?

That’s the big question that will answer every other question when it comes to Big 12 expansion talk, which has evolved into 18 schools groveling for the conference’s attention.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footbal...l40oxwyleb
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 01:16 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-15-2016 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Sporting News - Big 12 expansion decision starts with BYU, Cincinnati, & Houston
Oh,how original another lazy sports guy trying to get clicks by using others unproven rumors to sound like he actually knows something
08-15-2016 02:18 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Sporting News - Big 12 expansion decision starts with BYU, Cincinnati, & Houston
I see nothing at all wrong with this guys opinion. If he's wrong he's wrong but I don't think you have to guess that hard to see who the obvious choices are. Those 3 stand out in the crowd...seems simple to me. Any how selfishly I'd like to see Cincy get the call they deserve. I think political pressure will get Houston that nod. Seems like the wind is blowing in the direction of those 3 and Cincy and Houston just seem to appease a lot of different parties amongst that dysfunctional league. Good luck to Cincy though seems like they are certainly one of the teams who will be in that league.
08-15-2016 02:57 PM
ECU86 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
Houston makes no sense... adds nothing.. why 5 schools from Texas in the same conference.. that's nuts. BYU, Cinn, make sense.. Then if they go 4... they need to increase the size of the Big 12 foot print.
08-15-2016 02:59 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2016 02:59 PM)ECU86 Wrote:  Houston makes no sense... adds nothing.. why 5 schools from Texas in the same conference.. that's nuts. BYU, Cinn, make sense.. Then if they go 4... they need to increase the size of the Big 12 foot print.

You don't think adding BYU is increasing the size of the Big 12 footprint? The Big 12 would span three time zones with the addition of BYU.
08-15-2016 03:05 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
BYU and Cincy are the best candidates. BYU brings a large national following and Cincy is a competitive football/basketball program that is a logical link to West Virginia. Those should be the two. I don't understand Houston really at all but one cannot diminish the role of politics....
08-15-2016 03:31 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(08-15-2016 02:59 PM)ECU86 Wrote:  Houston makes no sense... adds nothing.. why 5 schools from Texas in the same conference.. that's nuts. BYU, Cinn, make sense.. Then if they go 4... they need to increase the size of the Big 12 foot print.

Because Texas is massive and has more people in it than Ohio, Tennessee, Colorado, Utah, Connecticut, and Idaho combined. The Big 12 is losing the Houston market to the SEC. If the Big 12 passes on UH and another P5 takes us at a later date, they will forever become third fiddle in the soon to be third largest city in the country, a city they supposedly "own".

The ACC also has 8 schools in a smaller footprint than that of the 5 potential Texas schools.

That whole argument is nonsense. You basically want to punish a deserving school for something as arbitrary as where the state lines were drawn. Perhaps if it makes you feel better, you can pretend that Houston is in Louisiana, Lubbock is in New Mexico, and Fort Worth is in Oklahoma.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 03:52 PM by Kronke.)
08-15-2016 03:37 PM
bigredmachine Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
BYU is out due to Mormon issues, LGTB, no Sundays, etc.
Houston and SMU don't add anything.
Arkansas St.? Really?
UConn, Temple, and ECU are just too far way
Ditto for SDS, Boise
Memphis appears to have a poor reputation
Late comers New Mex and AFA may have possibilities but I think not.
It's either the two FLA schools or NIU and Cincinnati or all four
These 4 add new TV markets, new recruiting bases, etc.
08-15-2016 04:34 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(08-15-2016 04:34 PM)bigredmachine Wrote:  BYU is out due to Mormon issues, LGTB, no Sundays, etc.
Arkansas St.? Really?
Ditto for SDS, Boise

[Image: a91f50b3e42ba46bd68021e4531b7d76.jpg]
08-15-2016 04:47 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2016 04:34 PM)bigredmachine Wrote:  BYU is out due to Mormon issues, LGTB, no Sundays, etc.
Arkansas St.? Really?
Ditto for SDS, Boise

[Image: image.png?w=680&c=1]
08-15-2016 05:04 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
They should out all three programs plus Connecticut and be done with it. They would not regret it.
08-15-2016 05:52 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2016 05:52 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  They should out all three programs plus Connecticut and be done with it. They would not regret it.

If they can get past BYU's issues and Houston can muster enough votes, I think it will be those 3 + Memphis. But right now, I think waffling on BYU and UH is what is causing the delay.
08-15-2016 06:17 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(08-15-2016 06:17 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 05:52 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  They should out all three programs plus Connecticut and be done with it. They would not regret it.

If they can get past BYU's issues and Houston can muster enough votes, I think it will be those 3 + Memphis. But right now, I think waffling on BYU and UH is what is causing the delay.

I just hope it's 4 and not 2. The more of you that get the golden ticket the better. SEC, ACC, B1G, have 14. Might as well match them. It's the most important for the B12 anyway since they are the ones that have to worry about being picked apart in 8 or 9 years. AAC should refill to 12 as well to be prepared for the next round of realignment.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 06:22 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
08-15-2016 06:21 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2016 06:21 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 06:17 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

I just hope it's 4 and not 2. The more of you that get the golden ticket the better. SEC, ACC, B1G, have 14. Might as well match them. It's the most important for the B12 anyway since they are the ones that have to worry about being picked apart in 8 or 9 years. AAC should refill to 12 as well to be prepared for the next round of realignment.

I have the impression they are adding 4. I think they had it set until the LGBT letter, and I also think it's possible that UH doesn't have enough votes. But as of right now, I think the Big 12 still plans to go to 14.
08-15-2016 06:29 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I think byu's issues are giving fox the out they need to steer the big12 toward 4 eastern teams. Nowhere has it been proven that fox ever balked at this idea. Only espn and a few overly aggressive hacks pushing their own agendas have "rumored " this. I think ESPN'S the holdup because they are going to have to take a whipping on this. I think they're trying to strike a compromise. If fox is hungry for eastern teams and the big12's greedy what's to stop them.
08-15-2016 06:40 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
I wonder if the holdup is that they are waiting to hear what Colorado wants to do.
08-15-2016 06:46 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

Cincy,Houston, Memphis, UCF. For all we know fox maybe willing to go for 6 teams maybe that's why they're basically looking at the entire AAC. Hack it's only going to cost fox half the money to steal their way into ESPN'S house. Why would fox not jump on that? They watched espn overextend themselves while they held their money while waiting on the right time to strike. A 16 team big12 from the Midwest to the southeast along with the pac12 and 1/2 the big would be beyond a home run for them
08-15-2016 06:50 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(08-15-2016 06:40 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  I think byu's issues are giving fox the out they need to steer the big12 toward 4 eastern teams. Nowhere has it been proven that fox ever balked at this idea. Only e*** and a few overly aggressive hacks pushing their own agendas have "rumored " this. I think E***'S the holdup because they are going to have to take a whipping on this. I think they're trying to strike a compromise. If fox is hungry for eastern teams and the big12's greedy what's to stop them.
Could the four-letter network "sell" inventory to Fox in exchange for Fox picking up more of the increase? I don't think E*** really minds losing games like Cincinnati-Iowa State or Texas Tech-Memphis if it means lowering their bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-15-2016 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(08-15-2016 03:37 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

Because Texas is massive and has more people in it than Ohio, Tennessee, Colorado, Utah, Connecticut, and Idaho combined. The Big 12 is losing the Houston market to the SEC. If the Big 12 passes on UH and another P5 takes us at a later date, they will forever become third fiddle in the soon to be third largest city in the country, a city they supposedly "own".

The ACC also has 8 schools in a smaller footprint than that of the 5 potential Texas schools.

That whole argument is nonsense. You basically want to punish a deserving school for something as arbitrary as where the state lines were drawn. Perhaps if it makes you feel better, you can pretend that Houston is in Louisiana, Lubbock is in New Mexico, and Fort Worth is in Oklahoma.

But Houston is East Carolina of North Carolina.
08-15-2016 07:03 PM
buffdog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State/CU
Arkansas St.? Really?
Ditto for SDS, Boise
Fresno State/SDSU add even larger tv markets, new recruiting bases, etc. Fresno State has B12 like facilities.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 07:50 PM by buffdog.)
08-15-2016 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.