Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Travel Options
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Sun Belt Travel Options
I try and put this out once a year and anyone with the link can edit, so those that know your own area and want to help can edit away. The "Notes on Other" tab is a great place to mention the best local restaurants is whatever category worthy of mention. Anything of local interest, especially if unique to your area can go here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

This link should not change and if the mods like, they are free to make this a sticky of some sort.
08-13-2016 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
RE: Sun Belt Travel Options
Very nice, thank you.

Just wanted to ask about the 2nd airport option for MB. Do you just select the second closest airport? I think Charleston is a better alternative - even though it is a little further it has Southwest Airlines and should be cheaper than Florence in most cases.
08-13-2016 01:27 PM
1st String

(08-13-2016 01:27 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  Very nice, thank you.

Just wanted to ask about the 2nd airport option for MB. Do you just select the second closest airport? I think Charleston is a better alternative - even though it is a little further it has Southwest Airlines and should be cheaper than Florence in most cases.

Yes, exactly. I was debating that and was hoping someone with Coastal connections would either confirm or suggest changes. I'll change it myself.
08-13-2016 02:12 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(08-13-2016 02:12 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(08-13-2016 01:27 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  Very nice, thank you.

Yes, exactly. I was debating that and was hoping someone with Coastal connections would either confirm or suggest changes. I'll change it myself.

Just shows how much I know ... I did a Google Flight search from many of the towns that have SBC teams and Florence ended up being a cheaper option in many cases. Most of the time it wouldn't be worth it instead of flying straight to MB but better than Charleston. But other cases Wilmington or Fayetteville were better ... so clear as mud :)

I do think Charleston with Southwest is still a solid second option just for access and options but may not be better than Florence in regard to cost.
08-13-2016 03:05 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Charleston is expensive. I know. But a great place to extend the vacation if you plan on going to see a Coastal game
08-15-2016 11:30 AM
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
(08-15-2016 11:30 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Charleston is expensive. I know. But a great place to extend the vacation if you plan on going to see a Coastal game

Charleston weekends are one of the few (and I mean very few) things I miss about the SoCon. We always got a big group together and had a blast down there.
08-15-2016 01:23 PM
Advertisement

SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
The Coastal Carolina/MB football weekend will be replacing the Citadel/Charleston weekend as our favorite place to have a combo Football/Golf weekend. Look forward to that first road trip there.02-13-banana
08-15-2016 02:10 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(08-15-2016 02:10 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  The Coastal Carolina/MB football weekend will be replacing the Citadel/Charleston weekend as our favorite place to have a combo Football/Golf weekend. Look forward to that first road trip there.02-13-banana

Stay in Pawleys Island and you're 30 mins south of Conway and a hour north of Charleston. Lots of great golf in PI! I've already made plans for our BB road trip in January.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 08:26 PM by trapdrawApp.)
08-15-2016 08:25 PM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(08-15-2016 08:25 PM)trapdrawApp Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 02:10 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  The Coastal Carolina/MB football weekend will be replacing the Citadel/Charleston weekend as our favorite place to have a combo Football/Golf weekend. Look forward to that first road trip there.02-13-banana

Stay in Pawleys Island and you're 30 mins south of Conway and a hour north of Charleston. Lots of great golf in PI! I've already made plans for our BB road trip in January.

Pawley's Island is great, and I would recommend it as well, but don't mislead this man into thinking he will get from Coastal's campus to Pawleys Island in 30 minutes.

You're looking at more like 45 minutes to an hour with traffic.
08-16-2016 08:18 AM
1st String

(08-16-2016 08:18 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  

Pawley's Island is great, and I would recommend it as well, but don't mislead this man into thinking he will get from Coastal's campus to Pawleys Island in 30 minutes.

Feel free to add these comments to the document from the link above.
08-16-2016 08:20 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(08-13-2016 12:49 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I try and put this out once a year and anyone with the link can edit, so those that know your own area and want to help can edit away. The "Notes on Other" tab is a great place to mention the best local restaurants is whatever category worthy of mention. Anything of local interest, especially if unique to your area can go here.

This link should not change and if the mods like, they are free to make this a sticky of some sort.

If all this rain keeps up, I think you might have to add boat options.
08-16-2016 05:00 PM
Advertisement

trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(08-16-2016 08:18 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  

Ok
08-16-2016 07:58 PM
1st String

(08-16-2016 05:00 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(08-13-2016 12:49 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I try and put this out once a year and anyone with the link can edit, so those that know your own area and want to help can edit away. The "Notes on Other" tab is a great place to mention the best local restaurants is whatever category worthy of mention. Anything of local interest, especially if unique to your area can go here.

If all this rain keeps up, I think you might have to add boat options.

I know you are saying this in a bit of a jest, but...

When I started this two years ago I think I did look into anything traveling up and down the Mississippi River on a regular schedule I assume Galvaston/Houston gets some cruise lines as would New Orleans. Not sure about Mobile or Savannah. Charleston, SC gets a bit from my understanding, as does Wilmington, NC on a much smaller basis. I assume nothing travels up/down the Tombigbee that is scheduled for passengers. I would love to add a tab for watercraft especially if anything is scheduled and reliable. Do any cruise lines jump from city to city without taking in a foreign city first to avoid dealing with the Jones Act? Or even with a intermediate foreign port stop do any of the ports in the Southeast have much service except Florida?

Some of the Amtrak stations are a few blocks for campus and for others it is a drive but reasonable and for a few of my Amtrak options it is rather unrealistic but I put it in there to give something to think about, especially for the retired folks with time and money on their hands.
08-16-2016 08:11 PM
1st String

08-16-2016 08:14 PM
1st String

Well, I did add water cruise ports, though this in not very practical except for a few locations. But as I always do I include something for every school, even if a cruise port is a few hours drive away from the school.

I plan to wait a few years before I add in Elon Musk's Hyperloop information. :-)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
08-20-2016 02:51 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(08-20-2016 02:51 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  Well, I did add water cruise ports, though this in not very practical except for a few locations. But as I always do I include something for every school, even if a cruise port is a few hours drive away from the school.

I plan to wait a few years before I add in Elon Musk's Hyperloop information. :-)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

The hyperloop looks pretty cool and there are some serious players getting involved with it. However, with the high cost and the fact that the South will be low on the priority list, don't think you have to worry about adding that in our lifetime.
08-21-2016 09:12 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
You can get to Texas State by boat in theory...it's just going to take you quite a while. All Water eventually drains into the Mississippi River, so in theory if you followed your water sources correctly, you could connect with the San Marcos River.
08-21-2016 10:34 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(08-21-2016 10:34 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You can get to Texas State by boat in theory...it's just going to take you quite a while. All Water eventually drains into the Mississippi River, so in theory if you followed your water sources correctly, you could connect with the San Marcos River.

Actually, no, all water does not drain to the Mississippi. The San Marcos River flows into the Guadelupe which flows into the Gulf Mexico. But yes, we could start in a canoe on the St Francis or Cache River and make our way to the Mississippi and then the Gulf to get to San Marcos. Want to give it a try?
08-22-2016 12:15 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
Sun Belt Travel Options
(08-22-2016 12:15 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 10:34 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You can get to Texas State by boat in theory...it's just going to take you quite a while. All Water eventually drains into the Mississippi River, so in theory if you followed your water sources correctly, you could connect with the San Marcos River.

Actually, no, all water does not drain to the Mississippi. The San Marcos River flows into the Guadelupe which flows into the Gulf Mexico. But yes, we could start in a canoe on the St Francis or Cache River and make our way to the Mississippi and then the Gulf to get to San Marcos. Want to give it a try?

Sounds like a fun way to spend summer vacation with your pals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#WolvesUp
08-22-2016 02:07 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(08-22-2016 02:07 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(08-22-2016 12:15 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

Sounds like a fun way to spend summer vacation with your pals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#WolvesUp

We were planning on inviting you too. Maybe we could film it for a documentary to air on Netflix.
08-22-2016 08:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.