Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Andy Katz ESPN BYU/Honor Code-LGBT Podcast yesterday (Hint: BYU is very worried)
Bookmark and Share
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Andy Katz ESPN BYU/Honor Code-LGBT Podcast yesterday (Hint: BYU is very worried)
Guess I'm the podcast guy for the board. Here's the link: http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/17264429 . Will move this off the main thread, since it's not purely B12 expansion.

When this Athlete Ally group sent the letter protesting BYU's B12 bid because of their anti-LGBT Honor Code, I thought it would blow over. But now don't think so. Katz/Rick Klein interviewed ex-BYU AD Val Hale. Man, this guy sounds like he is stuck in the 50s.

* Hale ". . . don't see BYU changing that policy at all. If it precludes them playing in another conference or even having an athletic program, then I think BYU would say 'So be it' "
* Hale keeps going back to politics. Says BYU clearly top choice for B12, but worried "one thing that could derail this is something political".
* Says BYU would have been invited in '94 except for Ann Richards insisting on Baylor and Tech.

Then had a lady from Athlete Ally.
* Said BYU rated the 6th most repressive campus in U.S. for LGBT rights.
* Said 9 of 10 schools in B12 are progressive with LGBT rights. Katz asked which school was not. Lady said "Baylor". But even Baylor not as bad as BYU, as Baylor changed their language a year ago to be more accepting.

Then a guy, Gordon Monson, from the Salt Lake Tribune:
* Said "Religious beliefs are protected under the Constitution". Again, IMO, sounded out of touch. And voiced how frustrated Provo is that this has popped up now.
* "America should be big enough to accomadate schools with varying beliefs". Brought up Catholic Church and some of its beliefs.
* Said BYU is #1 in all metrics that Bowlsby laid out.
* Said language on homosexuals could be softened, but core will remain. Katz brought up gays holding hands, asked if reporter is OK with that. Reporter just said "That's a good question." Talks about spirit of the law. Wow.
* Katz: "Will BYU get in?" Monson: Monday I would have said 90%, now I'm not so sure.

Interesting tidbit: the Governor of Utah's son-in-law is the WR coach for BYU.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 09:15 AM by Tigx.)
08-11-2016 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Andy Katz ESPN BYU/Honor Code-LGBT Podcast yesterday (Hint: BYU is very worried)
good
08-11-2016 09:26 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Andy Katz ESPN BYU/Honor Code-LGBT Podcast yesterday (Hint: BYU is very worried)
(08-11-2016 09:26 AM)fsquid Wrote:  good

Is it? This could change the expansion from 14 to 12. And just take Houston and Cincy

Who knows?
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 09:31 AM by Brother Bluto.)
08-11-2016 09:29 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

Katz also said he contacted many BYU officials (he knows them from covering the WCC), the mayor of Provo, Congressman Jason Chaffetz (district includes Provo) to appear on the podcast - said "none of them wanted anything to do with this situation".
08-11-2016 09:30 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2016 09:29 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Is it? This could know the expansion from 14 to 12. And just take Houston and Cincy

Who knows?

Very true re the 14 team to 12 team option.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 09:32 AM by Tigx.)
08-11-2016 09:31 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Is it? This could change the expansion from 14 to 12. And just take Houston and Cincy

Who knows?

they'll get to 14 eventually.
08-11-2016 09:32 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

Reminded me of one the articles that said Fox is rushing an expansion decision because they want BYU, and want a decision before the story gets worse.

Also, school is not in session yet. Remember the campus protests at Missouri last year and safe spaces - president ended up resigning. Is it possible we see anti-BYU protests on some of the more liberal/progressive campuses like Austin or Ames?

At Iowa State, for instance, the "Department of Residence displays “free condom” buckets". Does that feel like a cultural fit with BYU?
08-11-2016 09:42 AM
Timmy989 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis & ETSU
(08-11-2016 09:42 AM)Tigx Wrote:  Reminded me of one the articles that said Fox is rushing an expansion decision because they want BYU, and want a decision before the story gets worse.

Also, school is not in session yet. Remember the campus protests at Missouri last year and safe spaces - president ended up resigning. Is it possible we see anti-BYU protests on some of the more liberal/progressive campuses like Austin or Ames?

At Iowa State, for instance, the "Department of Residence displays “free condom” buckets". Does that feel like a cultural fit with BYU?

Most schools have free condoms in the health department. Only weird schools that pretend sex doesn't exist don't
08-11-2016 10:02 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2016 10:02 AM)Timmy989 Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 09:42 AM)Tigx Wrote:  Reminded me of one the articles that said Fox is rushing an expansion decision because they want BYU, and want a decision before the story gets worse.

Most schools have free condoms in the health department. Only weird schools that pretend sex doesn't exist don't

In the Health Dep't, sure. But how many kids ever go to the Health Dep't?

Free condoms in buckets in the lobby of the dorms? I wouldn't say most schools do that.

In any case, agreed that BYU is different culturally than the Big 12.
08-11-2016 10:09 AM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Who knows?

Mention this same thing yesterday. They could just go with 12 and hope things die down and then later try and add two more teams. Do not like out chances with only 2 being added. Houston WILL be on of the 2. And UC is not far behind.
08-11-2016 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-11-2016 09:32 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

Who knows?

they'll get to 14 eventually.

True but our odds go down in a 2 and 2 scenario. It seems that many wants BYU. In a 2 and 2 scenario it would increase CSU position down the road. BYU and CSU coudl become a package deal due to location issues. BYU is as far away from the core of the BIg 12 as WVU.. CSU would help bridge that gap
08-11-2016 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
(08-11-2016 10:02 AM)Timmy989 Wrote:  

But abstinence is the only safe sex!
08-11-2016 10:44 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

Who knows?

Yep
08-11-2016 10:49 AM
Advertisement

payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
They don't take uh at 12 cause it gives the Texas schools to much power.
08-11-2016 10:55 AM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

Big 12 schools in general are very liberal and mostly party schools. A recent STD study revealed Austin has the highest percentage or number (i forget which) of any city in the country. but then Tx has 3 of the top 10 and no Memphis is not in the top 10.
08-11-2016 02:16 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
08-11-2016 03:07 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(08-11-2016 02:16 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

Big 12 schools in general are very liberal and mostly party schools. A recent STD study revealed Austin has the highest percentage or number (i forget which) of any city in the country. but then Tx has 3 of the top 10 and no Memphis is not in the top 10.

Conclusion: Memphis needs more STDs.
08-11-2016 03:16 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2016 03:07 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  See what y'all did.

Upset this writer:

Big 12's LGBT issue not just BYU. Memphis, Houston & current members are problems

I don't put much stock in that article. It seems like a real stretch.

It mentions that the city of Houston voted down a law banning discrimination against gays. Well, the only state in the BigXII that bans gay discrimination is Iowa. And contrary to what many might think, only 18 states have such laws.

As far as TN allowing mental health professionals to not treat gay people if they don't want to, I doubt seriously if that would affect many counselors in the Memphis area, or would cause hardship for people wanting to get counseling. It's a strange law, but imho ultimately for show with few real life consequences.
08-11-2016 03:35 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2016 03:16 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 02:16 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

Conclusion: Memphis needs more STDs.

Seems like polygamy would lead to more std's...
08-11-2016 04:17 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2016 03:07 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  See what y'all did.

Upset this writer:

Big 12's LGBT issue not just BYU. Memphis, Houston & current members are problems

That article is ridiculous. You can see the writing is very amateur. And if the writer thinks the U of M is restrictive on LGBT, then he's one dumb dude. He's trying to associate state policies with the university. That's much different from the BYU issue.
08-11-2016 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.