Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former Houston coach Dana Dimel thinks Cougars would be bad for Big 12
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Dimel said. “If they get into the Big 12 they will be tough to beat in recruiting, because of the proximity.”
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big...37662.html

Reminds me of when former OSU President said he would to shoot his AD if they ever let Cincy in the Big Ten. There are universities that are concerned with UH potential.
08-08-2016 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
Didn't UH have this recruiting advantage once before?

Why will this time be different?
08-08-2016 07:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Former Houston coach Dana Dimel thinks Cougars would be bad for Big 12
(08-08-2016 07:36 PM)CurveItAround Wrote:  Didn't UH have this recruiting advantage once before?

Why will this time be different?

Im thinking it would be easier to recruit Houston if you actually play games there on regular basis. Seems to me Kansas St might find they do better with Houston recruits if Kansas St is playing in Houston regularly.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 07:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-08-2016 07:41 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Houston is tougher to beat now... because they don't have Dana Dimel as their head coach any more. His record there was 8-26. 07-coffee3
08-08-2016 09:12 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(08-08-2016 09:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Houston is tougher to beat now... because they don't have Dana Dimel as their head coach any more. His record there was 8-26. 07-coffee3

And there you have it. LOL
08-08-2016 09:15 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

"We shouldn't take them because . . . they might beat us."

Said Jim Delany, Roy Kramer, John Swofford, Larry Scott or Mike Slive, never.
08-08-2016 09:35 PM
Advertisement

00yyz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UofA
If you want to be in a P5 conference you shouldnt operate it like cowards...
And yes UH has the potential to be a monster in athletics...
And yes that is good for the conference and for the conferences next TV contract when UT, OU and Kansas are gone...
08-08-2016 10:43 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(08-08-2016 09:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Houston is tougher to beat now... because they don't have Dana Dimel as their head coach any more. His record there was 8-26. 07-coffee3

And the only winless season in school history. He may have turned the corner with more time but his legacy is an awful one.
08-09-2016 05:09 AM
a cat but also a bear Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati
Would Houston be a proponent of Rice joining the American? Would Cincinnati campaign for Miami (OH)? Let's not be hypocritical here.
08-09-2016 06:48 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Rice can join when the AAC resembles C-USA.
08-09-2016 07:11 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(08-08-2016 09:35 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  "We shouldn't take them because . . . they might beat us."

Said Jim Delany, Roy Kramer, John Swofford, Larry Scott or Mike Slive, never.

Delany just added Rutgers and Maryland so not sure I agree with this
08-09-2016 07:44 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-08-2016 05:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Dimel said. “If they get into the Big 12 they will be tough to beat in recruiting, because of the proximity.”

Reminds me of when former OSU President said he would to shoot his AD if they ever let Cincy in the Big Ten. There are universities that are concerned with UH potential.

You've touched on a point I have bringing up for a few years. OSU obviously does not want UC in the B10 but you know who else doesn't.. schools like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota (which comparable to a KSU coach calling out Houston). OSU will get their recruits irrespective as to whether UC was in the B10. The teams I mentioned would be more damaged by a UC addition to the B10 because they rely so much on Ohio recruiting.
08-09-2016 08:04 AM
a cat but also a bear Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-09-2016 08:04 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 05:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Dimel said. “If they get into the Big 12 they will be tough to beat in recruiting, because of the proximity.”

You've touched on a point I have bringing up for a few years. OSU obviously does not want UC in the B10 but you know who else doesn't.. schools like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota (which comparable to a KSU coach calling out Houston). OSU will get their recruits irrespective as to whether UC was in the B10. The teams I mentioned would be more damaged by a UC addition to the B10 because they rely so much on Ohio recruiting.

Do you want Miami, Toledo and Ohio to share the same conference as Cincinnati and be competition for football recruits?
08-09-2016 08:36 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(08-09-2016 08:36 AM)a cat but also a bear Wrote:  

Do you want Miami, Toledo and Ohio to share the same conference as Cincinnati and be competition for football recruits?

Toledo would not bother me. Ohio and Miami smaller towns and more difficult to get to for many AAC members.
08-09-2016 10:00 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats

Those are the teams (purdue, Ill, Indiana) we recruit against anyway so I agree. Ohio State doesn't want us in because they want us to go away and reclaim more of Ohio as Buckeye fans. Honestly, we don't recruit against them an wouldn't even in the B10. I don't think it's about that.

I find it interesting that Louisville is just as close as Ohio State, competes with us much more for similar recruits, and yet they always support us. The school in our own state university system actively works against us instead.
08-09-2016 10:57 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-09-2016 10:00 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Toledo would not bother me. Ohio and Miami smaller towns and more difficult to get to for many AAC members.

Miami is in the Cincinnati metro area. Its not that hard to get to from the Cincy or Dayton airports.
08-09-2016 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(08-09-2016 06:48 AM)a cat but also a bear Wrote:  Would Houston be a proponent of Rice joining the American? Would Cincinnati campaign for Miami (OH)? Let's not be hypocritical here.

I believe we advocated and supported Rice joining CUSA. We also advocated for other Texas schools (like SMU) while we were in CUSA. The dumbest thing Ive heard is a conference not wanting to invite a school that might become "too successful". Isn't the point to increase the value of a conference?
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 11:47 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-09-2016 11:43 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(08-09-2016 11:23 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 10:00 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Miami is in the Cincinnati metro area. Its not that hard to get to from the Cincy or Dayton airports.

UC is a 10-15 minute drive from CVG. From CVG or Dayton to Oxford it is 1 hour depending on traffic. It is difficult getting in there with small state routes being the only roads. Their facilities are sub par. Toledo has renovated their arena, and I think maybe they did something with the football stadium? Miami's attendance for football and bball is pretty bad. Nobody goes to bball games there.
08-09-2016 11:49 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Someone pointed out on Coogfans that KSU hasn't signed anyone from Houston since the class of 2013, and also currently has 0 Houston area commits. What's worse than zero, that Dimel is so afraid of?

Guy is just a loser.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 12:44 PM by Kronke.)
08-09-2016 12:43 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-09-2016 12:43 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Someone pointed out on Coogfans that KSU hasn't signed anyone from Houston since the class of 2013, and also currently has 0 Houston area commits. What's worse than zero, that Dimel is so afraid of?

Guy is just a loser.

Dimel's comment is just former-coach-speak, lots of ex-head coaches say things like, "I could have won big there if they were in the Big 12 when I coached there," or "We would have won the conference every year if only they'd had a $500 million indoor practice facility when I was there," etc., etc.
08-09-2016 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.