Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FAMILY OF MUSLIM TEEN ARRESTED FOR HOMEMADE CLOCK FILES SUIT
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
FAMILY OF MUSLIM TEEN ARRESTED FOR HOMEMADE CLOCK FILES SUIT
Looking for a pay day...

Quote:DALLAS, TX -- The family of a Muslim boy who was arrested after bringing a homemade clock to school filed a federal lawsuit Monday against Texas school officials and others, saying the incident violated the 14-year-old boy's civil rights, prompted death threats and forced them to leave the United States.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Ahmed Mohamed, who was arrested at his suburban Dallas high school in September and charged with having a hoax bomb. He says he brought the homemade digital clock to school to show his English teacher.

Ahmed showed off the clock, made out of a plastic pencil box and electrical wire and other hardware salvaged from his parents' garage, on Monday during a news conference with his parents and attorneys.

Irving police later dropped the charge, but he was still suspended for three days. He never returned to the school; his family opted to have him take classes elsewhere.

The lawsuit names Irving Independent School District, the city of Irving and the school's principal, and asks a jury to determine the damages. In November, the family asked the district and city to pay $15 million or else face a suit. District spokeswoman Lesley Weaver said in a statement Monday that attorneys for the district will review the suit and determine a course of action.

http://abc13.com/education/family-of-mus...t/1461478/
08-08-2016 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: FAMILY OF MUSLIM TEEN ARRESTED FOR HOMEMADE CLOCK FILES SUIT
I was sympathetic for the kid and family until I got to the "$15 million" part.
08-08-2016 01:41 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-08-2016 01:41 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I was sympathetic for the kid and family until I got to the "$15 million" part.

Yep, money grab.
08-08-2016 01:46 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(08-08-2016 01:41 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I was sympathetic for the kid and family until I got to the "$15 million" part.

Sympathetic about what? That he could take a cheap wal mart clock, wreck the plastic case with a hammer, then stick it in a metal box and show it around like he'd done something?

You don't think this was done purely to provoke? Especially after what his sister (I think that's right) had done previously?

Did they fall for it, and do precisely what this family had hoped? Yup.

Are they wanna-be grifters of the first order? Yup, too.
08-08-2016 01:50 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
They'd better not get one penny as long as the family of the pop-tart gun kid gets nothing.
08-08-2016 01:54 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
Good teach the backward bigots a lesson. And he won't get $15 million, quit wetting your pants.
08-08-2016 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2016 01:50 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Sympathetic about what? That he could take a cheap wal mart clock, wreck the plastic case with a hammer, then stick it in a metal box and show it around like he'd done something?

You don't think this was done purely to provoke? Especially after what his sister (I think that's right) had done previously?

Did they fall for it, and do precisely what this family had hoped? Yup.

Are they wanna-be grifters of the first order? Yup, too.

I don't know what his sister did.

My sympathy was about the kid's extreme naivety and unwittingly bringing this all upon himself, and the aftermath. I think the district was right in taking necessary precautions.

I don't think it was a plot to provoke, but then again I'm not close to that case at all. I'd be a little surprised if it was all a plan, but not 'very' surprised.
08-08-2016 02:11 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2016 02:02 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Good teach the backward bigots a lesson. And he won't get $15 million, quit wetting your pants.

We can debate about whether things were taken "too far" with the kid.

But at minimum, if someone brings THIS into a school, they'd better take it seriously with some questioning...

[Image: Ahmed_Mohamed_Clock_by_Irving_PD.jpg]

It's the world we live in now, it's not like it was a generation ago. You don't need to be a bigot to look at this object and think, 'whoa, wait a sec.'
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 02:19 PM by Motown Bronco.)
08-08-2016 02:15 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-08-2016 02:02 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Good teach the backward bigots a lesson. And he won't get $15 million, quit wetting your pants.

There's no way you can say this wouldn't happen to a white Christian kid when they are getting suspended for playing soldier with pretend guns on the playground.
08-08-2016 02:15 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
(08-08-2016 02:15 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

But at minimum, if someone brings THIS into a school, they'd better take it seriously with some questioning...

It's the world we live in now, it's not like it was a generation ago. You don't need to be a bigot to look at this object and think, 'whoa, wait a sec.'

Maybe if the school project wasn't to make a clock and we remove all context, then sure.
08-08-2016 02:27 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2016 02:27 PM)Max Power Wrote:  

Maybe if the school project wasn't to make a clock and we remove all context, then sure.

If that's the case, then I agree.

I read a pretty thorough article and there was no mention of a school project assignment to make a clock.
08-08-2016 02:35 PM
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(08-08-2016 02:35 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

If that's the case, then I agree.

I read a pretty thorough article and there was no mention of a school project assignment to make a clock.

Yeah, I agree... I never read anything about a clock school project.
08-08-2016 02:37 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU

Um.. no. 03-nutkick

http://www.investors.com/politics/editor...rate-hoax/

Quote:Turns out that 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed of Irving, Texas, never invented a clock, and had no reason to bring the suspicious-looking device to school. But everyone from Mark Zuckerberg to President Obama was fooled by what appears to have been a hoax designed to muster sympathy for Muslims accused of terrorism, while putting police on their heels and undermining the "see something, say something" directive for citizen vigilance. Here's the real story:

• There was no "school project" or science assignment to justify Mohamed bringing the device to school .
08-08-2016 02:37 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I think the kid just made a dumb, naive, but innocent, mistake. That's my take based on his interests and background.

But we've occasionally seen hoaxes being generated for 15 seconds of Victim Fame and/or some money shakedown. So can't blame anyone for being skeptical.
08-08-2016 02:45 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

This wasn't a school project, but nice try.

He was explicitly told when he showed the disassembled and reassembled clock in a metal box "I wouldn't go showing that thing around".

So why did he?

Where are his classmates "projects"?
08-08-2016 03:48 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
It wasn't a school project but if it had been, that would be an F. He didn't do anything but remove clock parts from one case and put them in another.
08-08-2016 06:16 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(08-08-2016 02:15 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

There's no way you can say this wouldn't happen to a white Christian kid when they are getting suspended for playing soldier with pretend guns on the playground.

#privilege
08-09-2016 07:27 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Just like that Max disappears to never be seen in this thread again.
08-09-2016 07:38 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Didn't Muslims invent the clock?
08-09-2016 07:42 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Let Him eat sand !
08-09-2016 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.